Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey guys,

I'm going to dedicate some time to knock out cohesive terrain sets for us. Could you give me initial feedback on my sandstone as a replacement for the Arbor/Dorne Set, and maybe some initial cues as to what you deem acceptable for the Stormlands replacement (i.e. how light should I go without making the castles look odd, what hues should I mix in to make transitions easier?)

Arbor Dorne:
9514f4f751.png

Stormlands:

b62852a084.png

I really like these new designs. My only concern is some of them look skin or bark like to me. I think a modified light stone texture (maybe more granular) would work really well.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I think the discontinuity in the textures is slightly jarring from up close - are you just using the random method here as opposed to repeat? The sandstone is looking very nice overall though. I’m glad you’re trying your hand at the terrainsets, they’ve needed improvement for a while and I don’t think I have the skills to fix that.

Regarding the hues/lightness, I think it would be best to match the existing terrainsets as close as possible, at least for the prototypical versions.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

SerLoras

Playwright
If we're talking about the terrain set blocks, I still think terrain set wall-blocks would help us up our cave game.

There are a few different underground locations in canon (like Greenseer's or Gorne's Way) that would definitely benefit from being able to have more realistic cave formations.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I think the discontinuity in the textures is slightly jarring from up close - are you just using the random method here as opposed to repeat? The sandstone is looking very nice overall though. I’m glad you’re trying your hand at the terrainsets, they’ve needed improvement for a while and I don’t think I have the skills to fix that.

Regarding the hues/lightness, I think it would be best to match the existing terrainsets as close as possible, at least for the prototypical versions.

Yeah I'm using random since it is so much easier to get right than repeat. You may remember that I tried repeat for the Iron Islands a few years ago and failed miserably in scaling it right: weeks of meticulous shading were in vain. I also thought since we've essentially been using repeat I could get away with that :p

I think I can do a better job to make them tile though. I realized that for some tiles I was very sloppy. That's a quick fix! I'm glad you like it! I'll match the existing hues as much as I can then!

My only concern is some of them look skin or bark like to me. I think a modified light stone texture (maybe more granular) would work really well.
Good call! Perhaps reducing the vertical cracks helps with that (I realized that there are too many). A light stone variant will definitely find its use for the non-sedimentary ranges i.e. Eyrie, Iron Islands and North where I want to try my hand at metamorphous or igneous rock. For the sandstones, I wanna keep the horizontal layers.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
So obviously, this is just a suggestion. I just go off on Art History Tangents.

But currently, our paintings are very out of the era. Two paintins appears to be Jan Van Eycks, who is the believed inventor of our beloved oil paint. However, Jan Van Eyck is a solid Northern Renaissance painter, and Oil Paint furthermore makes his works unacceptable for the era. Some are also simply just enlarged images of illuminated manuscript illustrations. One even appear to be a Venetian genre scene, which I would pin to be during the popularity of the grand tour which was 17th century stuff. (We shouldn't even have genre scenes, period.)

Rather, wall hanging paintings in generall were pretty uncommon, unless on a small scale, until the introduction of oil paints. Wooden panels, using hide glue gessos and nailed in structures for altarpieces were more common, in addition to this Frescoes also were dominant, as they were cheap. So cheap in fact that the Vatican commissioned artists to paint faux marble in place of buying real marble. Many churches also did this, where their pillars would be 1/4-1/2 marble and the rest painted in.

Frescoes and altarpieces are unfortunately underrepresented on the server. And even more a shame, we have no guilded works! How dare we not represent the trendiest of trends during the Medieval times of Tempera (Egg yolk and pigment) and Gold guild altarpieces and panels?

Essentially, to be historically accurate and create some awesome new septs, new frescoes blocks/paintings (borderless) would be cool. If we were willing to add it, or in the least find some actual medieval images, which would, unfortunately, be all iconographic.

OR, for anyone tossing paintings around their castle, be warned ... you're probably wrong. Unless you're using tapestries or a small 1 by 1 ... eh.

I'm not a medieval expert, but I do know my Renaissance well, and so I know the "this was new at the time" information. And take note there is some overlap of the middle ages and the renaissance. And our server fluctuates in what we deam to be it's date. Some historians claim different dates for the end of each era and region, and Subject. So of course this is debatable. My preference is to claim anything after the late 14th-century is Renaissance, especially anything after the introduction of oil point and one-point perspective.

I would also be happy to provide an article on the process of frescoes from the Arriccio to Giornata. I've learned this process 3 times as it seems every art history professor is obsessed with it. It's actually weirdly complicated and multiple processes too that it we could represent.

TL;DR Our Paintings are Renaissance and inaccurate for most of the dark ages (in terms of art history) We need more frescoes, as we're lacking on that no matter what (a dominate medium for a large portion of history completely unrepresented) So I am proposing fresco blocks. I also would be happy to provide an article on frescoe's for on here or in the rookery :).

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
We need more frescoes, as we're lacking on that no matter what (a dominate medium for a large portion of history completely unrepresented) So I am proposing fresco blocks.

Just generally FYI (Not in direct response to you Otty, but perhaps triggered by your write up)!

There is a burden of activating energy for me in making any texture which is the amount of time I need to spend to identify and find the right source material. So from now on, suggestions for new textures should come with a folder of appropriately selected example images or at least a set of links to fitting material.

I'm happy to try my hand at anything, but I'm less inclined to do so if it means hours of research before I can even get started. ;)

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Please find the first batch of Sandstone-based sets here. They replace Arbor/Dorne, RedMountains and Stormlands with sets that mix a bit better and look more natural.
To try them replace the folders that have the same name in your resource pack at ⁨.westeroscraft⁩ ▸ ⁨instances⁩ ▸ ⁨WesterosCraft-1.11.2⁩ ▸ ⁨resourcepacks⁩ ▸ ⁨WesterosCraft.zip⁩ ▸ ⁨assets⁩ ▸ ⁨minecraft⁩ ▸ ⁨mcpatcher⁩ ▸ ⁨ctm⁩

Attachments

• Sandstone_Terrainsets.zip
    231.4 KB · Views: 12

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah I'm using random since it is so much easier to get right than repeat. You may remember that I tried repeat for the Iron Islands a few years ago and failed miserably in scaling it right: weeks of meticulous shading were in vain. I also thought since we've essentially been using repeat I could get away with that :p

Yeah, that makes sense. Repeat comes with its own host of tiling issues too. I’ve found the best thing is a top-level repeat CTM with individual random CTMs for each tile in the top-level one, but it’s a ton of work.

I don’t think it’s a huge issue if we go with using random. It’s just with the current ctm, it’s obvious that the textures aren’t supposed to tile in any way, but now that the new one has all those horizontal layers, the perfectionist in me desperately wants them to line up :p I’ll take a look at the textures in-game when I get a chance and see if the tiling is really that jarring or if I’m just focusing in too much on the image.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Limestone-based sets for Westerlands and Reach:

To try them replace the folders that have the same name in your resource pack at ⁨.westeroscraft⁩ ▸ ⁨instances⁩ ▸ ⁨WesterosCraft-1.11.2⁩ ▸ ⁨resourcepacks⁩ ▸ ⁨WesterosCraft.zip⁩ ▸ ⁨assets⁩ ▸ ⁨minecraft⁩ ▸ ⁨mcpatcher⁩ ▸ ⁨ctm⁩

These are prototypes so feedback is welcome. They take some getting used to since they are more homogenous than our previous terrain sets:
9dd9094688.png

6b525ee5d2.png

Attachments

• Limestone_Terrainsets.zip
    108.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: otty
One thing that we could add to break up the homogeneity would be to include an alternate color for different rock formations. For example, if you look up "white cliffs of dover" you can see there are expanses of grey/black stone in the white. Maybe a second, darker stone type would help in that regard.

Limestone-based sets for Westerlands and Reach:

These are prototypes so feedback is welcome. They take some getting used to since they are more homogenous than our previous terrain sets:
9dd9094688.png

6b525ee5d2.png
Looks more like sand then rock.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Just jotting down a couple things I noticed while testing this so far

- Westerlands pebble blocks stick out much more against the new westerlands terrainset (Before | After). I think this is because the hue of the pebbles seems to have been based around that one particularly pink block in the terrainset mix, helping the pebbles blend in. Now that the terrainset is uniformly yellow, the pebbles (at least the dry version) don't really fit in anymore. Either the terrainset can be adjusted, or the pebbles can be adjusted. I'm not sure which would be better, but my intuition is that the latter would affect less stuff.

- The terrainsets overall seem to be much less granular and a little more smoothed over compared to other blocks in the pack, as can be seen in the previous before/after (compare the manmade brick blocks against the two terrainset textures for instance). I haven't made up my mind yet about whether this is a problem or just an adjustment to get used to, but my initial feelings are that it looks a little inconsistent, and makes the borders with other blocks a little bit harsher, e.g. the grass blocks and sandstone brick wall in (Before | After).

- The stormlands is way too light and pink currently, and doesn't really transition well with the stormlands bricks or dirt/gravel blocks (Before | After).

- The red mountains terrainset is likewise too light/too pink (Before | After).

- Overall I agree that the homogeneity might be an issue. The problem is it's very difficult to add variation such as striations into the actual textures (whether repeat ctm or not) without ending up with bad tiling patterns. Have you tried doing things like adding subtle random (or repeat) overlays to the texture with different color variations, to get a similar effect to the existing terrainsets?

I'll keep playing with the new terrainsets to see if they grow on me, and update this if I see anything new.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
So obviously, this is just a suggestion. I just go off on Art History Tangents.

But currently, our paintings are very out of the era. Two paintins appears to be Jan Van Eycks, who is the believed inventor of our beloved oil paint. However, Jan Van Eyck is a solid Northern Renaissance painter, and Oil Paint furthermore makes his works unacceptable for the era. Some are also simply just enlarged images of illuminated manuscript illustrations. One even appear to be a Venetian genre scene, which I would pin to be during the popularity of the grand tour which was 17th century stuff. (We shouldn't even have genre scenes, period.)

Rather, wall hanging paintings in generall were pretty uncommon, unless on a small scale, until the introduction of oil paints. Wooden panels, using hide glue gessos and nailed in structures for altarpieces were more common, in addition to this Frescoes also were dominant, as they were cheap. So cheap in fact that the Vatican commissioned artists to paint faux marble in place of buying real marble. Many churches also did this, where their pillars would be 1/4-1/2 marble and the rest painted in.

Frescoes and altarpieces are unfortunately underrepresented on the server. And even more a shame, we have no guilded works! How dare we not represent the trendiest of trends during the Medieval times of Tempera (Egg yolk and pigment) and Gold guild altarpieces and panels?

Essentially, to be historically accurate and create some awesome new septs, new frescoes blocks/paintings (borderless) would be cool. If we were willing to add it, or in the least find some actual medieval images, which would, unfortunately, be all iconographic.

OR, for anyone tossing paintings around their castle, be warned ... you're probably wrong. Unless you're using tapestries or a small 1 by 1 ... eh.

I'm not a medieval expert, but I do know my Renaissance well, and so I know the "this was new at the time" information. And take note there is some overlap of the middle ages and the renaissance. And our server fluctuates in what we deam to be it's date. Some historians claim different dates for the end of each era and region, and Subject. So of course this is debatable. My preference is to claim anything after the late 14th-century is Renaissance, especially anything after the introduction of oil point and one-point perspective.

I would also be happy to provide an article on the process of frescoes from the Arriccio to Giornata. I've learned this process 3 times as it seems every art history professor is obsessed with it. It's actually weirdly complicated and multiple processes too that it we could represent.

TL;DR Our Paintings are Renaissance and inaccurate for most of the dark ages (in terms of art history) We need more frescoes, as we're lacking on that no matter what (a dominate medium for a large portion of history completely unrepresented) So I am proposing fresco blocks. I also would be happy to provide an article on frescoe's for on here or in the rookery :).

+1 in support for frescoes, they would work well in Westerlands projects to differentiate with the new Dornish style

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Just generally FYI (Not in direct response to you Otty, but perhaps triggered by your write up)!

There is a burden of activating energy for me in making any texture which is the amount of time I need to spend to identify and find the right source material. So from now on, suggestions for new textures should come with a folder of appropriately selected example images or at least a set of links to fitting material.

I'm happy to try my hand at anything, but I'm less inclined to do so if it means hours of research before I can even get started. ;)

The Allergory of good and bad government.
2effect2.jpg

The Scorvengi Chapel

Register from the scrovengi Chapel by Giotto
Scrovegni.jpg
Here is an example of how frescoes were often completed. Head to toe detailing. It would be a bit difficult to achieve this look, but man wouldn't this be cool.

Attachments

• italy-siena-december-26-2016-the-view-of-the-frescoes-describes-canonization-K9DH9F.jpg
    italy-siena-december-26-2016-the-view-of-the-frescoes-describes-canonization-K9DH9F.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 4
  • St._Peter_Niccoline_Chapel.jpg
    St._Peter_Niccoline_Chapel.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 6

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Just jotting down a couple things I noticed while testing this so far

- Westerlands pebble blocks stick out much more against the new westerlands terrainset (Before | After). I think this is because the hue of the pebbles seems to have been based around that one particularly pink block in the terrainset mix, helping the pebbles blend in. Now that the terrainset is uniformly yellow, the pebbles (at least the dry version) don't really fit in anymore. Either the terrainset can be adjusted, or the pebbles can be adjusted. I'm not sure which would be better, but my intuition is that the latter would affect less stuff.

- The terrainsets overall seem to be much less granular and a little more smoothed over compared to other blocks in the pack, as can be seen in the previous before/after (compare the manmade brick blocks against the two terrainset textures for instance). I haven't made up my mind yet about whether this is a problem or just an adjustment to get used to, but my initial feelings are that it looks a little inconsistent, and makes the borders with other blocks a little bit harsher, e.g. the grass blocks and sandstone brick wall in (Before | After).

- The stormlands is way too light and pink currently, and doesn't really transition well with the stormlands bricks or dirt/gravel blocks (Before | After).

- The red mountains terrainset is likewise too light/too pink (Before | After).

- Overall I agree that the homogeneity might be an issue. The problem is it's very difficult to add variation such as striations into the actual textures (whether repeat ctm or not) without ending up with bad tiling patterns. Have you tried doing things like adding subtle random (or repeat) overlays to the texture with different color variations, to get a similar effect to the existing terrainsets?

I'll keep playing with the new terrainsets to see if they grow on me, and update this if I see anything new.

Love me some good constructive feedback! I’ve been thinking a lot about a few overlays: vertical to add rainwater discoloring, and random to add individual discolored tiles. Does transparency work with overlays? There was an issue with the waves right?! I can’t remember what the issue was though.

Reactions: lemonbear and Luk

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Made the prototypes a lot more grainy and tweaked the colors of stormlands and red mountains.

I'm struggling a lot with how to do a renderPass overlay. Looks like that doesn't exist anymore with Optifine? How did we do that for the profession signs again?

Attachments

• Grainy.zip
    344.2 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell