Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Thanks for the banner!

Also, I've asked some time ago if we could add hemp, I know Thamus_Knoward made some tests, is there any way to implement it?
There's no urgency at all (I won't use it personally any time soon on the Arbor), but I do believe that, as it could also be used in many other places (actually, pretty much all the server, maybe except very harsh places like the North or the II), it would be a very useful addition. Hemp has many used (oil, clothes, ropes, fabric, medicines...), and it wouldn't outdate anything (easy to add a few fields here and there if necessary).

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Emotione11

Idk if theres anything that can be done about this, but I've recently noticed that our stained glass blocks connect with wall and fence blocks messing with a lot of the stained glass arrangements in places like the Sept of Baelor and Highgarden. This isn't a problem with vanilla glass so I was wondering if we could either:

A) Fix this issue and make it so that our westeroscraft stained glass blocks dont connect with wall and fence blocks

B) Retexture the vanilla stained glass to look like our westeroscraft stained glass blocks.

• Haha
Reactions: Adorkabley

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Thanks for the list, EStoop
How would the yellow infill variant under the Northern wood set differ from the yellow daub infill variant in the Oak set? Or would they just be the same infill with different timber?
Same infill, different timber.
Would the red clay block (or red plaster) be an appropriate infill for the "mud red" version under the Northern wood set?
I think so, yes, though I'm not quite sure.
Do you think it's necessary to include a close-studding version for all of the new sets being proposed, since it seems like we're specifically aiming at a unique substyle for the southern crownlands/northern stormlands with that block? I think probably it should have the basic white/brown infills with both timber colors, and probably the whitewashed version as well, but do you think we need it in any of the other variants?
Maybe a variant with brick as well.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Also just wanted to drop a quick suggestion for a 1x2 painting alt which has farm tools. Scythe and a hoe maybe?
Dude get out of my head. I’ve been super keen to work on an array of (farming) tool textures recently. Once the textures are there Emote could decide if we wanted to have them as flat blocks like a painting, flat blocks like the axe or shovel, or some new block type like leaning against the wall or so.

Maybe it’s time to start considering scrapping the “Bench + Tools”-Type block in favour of just getting a tools block that works like wattle fence and can be put onto any surface.

A huge help here would be if someone could supply me with an accurate account of which tools were used by whom for what. Maybe based on images like this Cobbler’s Toolset:https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8a/eb/0d/8aeb0df0e48c5bf28b1251f29973e23f--shoe-cobbler-vintage-tools.jpg

Hemp has many used (oil, clothes, ropes, fabric, medicines...), and it wouldn't outdate anything (easy to add a few fields here and there if necessary).

All that the Hemp block still needs is some tweaking of hues. I’m happy to provide my depictions of 50 common medieval herbs too when they’re done. I’m at G for gourd right now :3

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Thamus_Knoward Haha great minds! This is a really cool article with some drawings of typical farming tools (lol at the part with sending kids into fields to scare birds away). I think a scythe (might be too big) or rake and fork would be great for a 1x2, with sickle and flail working for a smaller set.

I agree with EStoop on the brick infill for close studding, even though brick infill was very rare for medieval buildings (if you had all that brick, why wouldn't you just make a brick building?). Brick infill was almost always added later when the original wattle and daub had failed. All the same, we've established that it's fairly common for our server, so go for it.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I don't know how much call there is for this, but it would be a simple set of blocks to add: mossy cobble for each of the regional variants. Maybe turn down the brightness of the moss (depending on the regional variant perhaps?), and if you're feeling especially keen, some ctm would be fabulous.

ContraBlonde

Bookbinder
I don't know how much call there is for this, but it would be a simple set of blocks to add: mossy cobble for each of the regional variants. Maybe turn down the brightness of the moss (depending on the regional variant perhaps?), and if you're feeling especially keen, some ctm would be fabulous.
You could make moss biome dependent like the cobblestone and stone are right now

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Biome shading doesn't really work well for mossy cobble, since the same hue has to be applied to the moss as well as the brick.

If you give me a list of a handful of regional cobble/brick sets which could use a mossy variant, I'll take a look.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Here are the blocks that we have mossy variants for.

2020-08-14_18.04.14.png
(Left to right)
Stormlands Cobblestone, Sandstone, Vivid Sandstone, Small Stone Brick, Cobblestone, Stone Bricks

I personally think the moss on all of these except for the small stone brick are a little too aggressive. Placing these next to non-mossy blocks makes for a jarring transition. Thinning the moss from the edges of the blocks or CTM might help with this.

These are the cobblestone blocks we do not have mossy variants for:

2020-08-14_18.04.41.png
(Top to bottom, left to right)

River Cobble, Dark Cobblestone, Northern Cobble, Reach Cobblestone, Stormlands Dark Cobblestone, Arbor Cobblestone, Oldtown Cobblestone, Basalt Cobblestone, White Harbor Cobblestone, KL Dun Cobble

River Cobble, Dark Cobblestone, and Reach Cobblestone I think would benefit most from mossy variants.

Arbor Cobblestone, Oldtown Cobblestone, White Harbor Cobblestone, and KL Dun Cobble might be too build specific, though I have seen KL Dun cobble used outside of KL. The Stormlands Dark Cobblestone works well enough with the existing mossy Stormlands Cobblestone.

Both Northern and Basalt Cobblestone are too dark for a bright green mossy variant, but maybe we could experiment with some very dark green moss colours? Even then I'm not sure how useful they would be.

Small orange brick might also benefit from a moss (or lichen) variant.

It would also be really great to have mossy variants for the slate roof blocks, especially Lannisport slate (tile?). Though I can imagine that this would result in a lot of roofs becoming outdated. We could limit mossy roofs to areas which have heavy rainfall, e.g. Stormlands and Riverlands.

Reactions: ContraBlonde

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Maybe Dutch’s request is void as soon as the moss block is available for people to try.

I wonder if Red could work out a “modifier“ system. An extension to CTM overlay that allows us to add modifying textures ontop specific blocks. Not sure how it could work but I‘d love to explore this option.
We have a lot of „base“ textures that I think would benefit from a stackable layers.

I gotta say I‘m also not to keen to add moss to these blocks. This is partially because I don’t see this having a big impact or this being too necessary.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Right, Tham makes a good point. Since I'm planning to add a generic dappled moss block (the same texture that's on eastern islands/iron islands terrainsets ATM) that can be placed over blocks like vines, this might not be necessary. The only shortcoming will be that the moss texture doesn't match the seams of the cobble/brick textures, but I think that's a pretty minimal detail.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Id love for stacked variants of all plants :D

It doesn’t necessarily make sense for all plants but for some (and thistle is one for sure) it definitely does.

I would love to help with a massive overhaul of our plants and leaf blocks involving my herb textures and a set of block models that represent the Habitus (growth type) of each plant.

To me it is important to depict plants realistically. Hit me up to explore this further!

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
It doesn’t necessarily make sense for all plants but for some (and thistle is one for sure) it definitely does.

I would love to help with a massive overhaul of our plants and leaf blocks involving my herb textures and a set of block models that represent the Habitus (growth type) of each plant.

To me it is important to depict plants realistically. Hit me up to explore this further!

All. Of. Them.

• Haha
Reactions: Adorkabley

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Thoughts on wool half doors?
Pros:
- Laundry
- Linens
- Wall hangings
- Curtains
- Flags, banners
- Vertical tent walls
- Small boat sails
- Non chunky windmill sails
- Won't outdate horizontal canopies (e.g. market stalls, canopy beds).

Cons:
- Might outdate blocky flags
- Might outdate some tents, but would not outdate a-frames (diagonal) or thicker fur and pelt tents.
- Might outdate some sails, but large unfurled sails likely still need to use blocks.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
2020-08-21_18.56.59.png

Just want to drop a suggestion here, could we possibly make a new texture for black, green, and blue "slate" blocks?
At the moment they look like standard barrel tiles, which are clay and not traditionally these colours.
The texture works fine for the brown, red, and LP variants because they are the colour of clay, but not for these others.

Real slate comes in all three of these colours, here are some inspiration images (for both colour and texture).

Westmoreland (Cumbria) green slate. laid in diminishing courses
1598032839243.png

Spanish black slate, cut "bogenschnitt" (bow cut) and laid diagonally in even courses.

1598034013508.png

Bangor (Irish) blue slates, laid in even courses.
1598034349945.png

And because our blue slates are almost universally spurned on our server, I would also move to change the colour of the blue slate to match that of the above Bangor blues, leaning more towards purple than the vivid blue we currently have.

Here are some more Bangor blues to whet your whistle.

1598034633369.png