starcat98 Builder Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat98

Herald
Staff member

United States

I used to be a builder, but haven't been active for about 2 years or so.

Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

Season 1

I think my favorite character would have to be Jon Snow. Admittedly, it's been a few years since I've read the books, so my knowledge is a little rusty. However, I always enjoyed Jon's chapters the most. His story and his journey were always the most interesting to me, as beyond the Wall is one of the most mysterious and unknown areas of the lore. Reading Jon's chapters allowed me to learn more about that area. I also enjoyed his character development, and how he seemingly (though not a very popular decision) humanized the Wildlings.

Well, I was a builder before, so I like to think I retained a lot of what I have learned in the past. I can adapt and learn many building styles. I enjoy helping people out with their projects when I can. I enjoy tackling challenges that might require thinking outside the box a little. That's about all I can think of, really.

I was rather active on the server until about 2 years ago or so. I had a lot of fun with my time on the server and used to enjoy building and hanging out with everyone a lot. I eventually got burnt out and took a hiatus. Now, I feel like I'm ready to get back into it. I'm excited to be a builder again and participate in upcoming projects as well as active projects.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

Enah

Skinchanger
Alright, so it appears you've really been gone a long time. Styles and build techniques have changed a lot since you last built. So, apologies for this...

1. The garden is much too square and forced, while these days we strive for realistic gardens which were irl often rectangular, we try to give them a more natural but ordered feel. Such as a slight change in the direction of the wall or the yard is more trapezoidal. And a typical feature is the main garden is behind the house, though there are still many where it's out front.

2. The roof has a unique shape to it, however it feels heavy and blobby. A simple 45 degree stair roof is just as nice, and depending on region no eaves (over hangs) on the gables. Some still add lil holes or bumps, though I shy away from such personally.

3. Mixing woods like oak and spruce are still frowned upon due to the harsh contrast. When doing furniture using the same coloured slab as the halfdoors is ideal, though sometimes impossible if using a knife or craftsman bench multisided block.

4. The fireplace is very fancy for this type of house, a simpler hearth might've been a nicer choice as well as not taking up space. Often fireplaces are flush in the main wall now with either a simple halfdoor-slab/stair mantle or none with the chimney in back.

5. The upstairs windows seem large to me. Perhaps if there had been a carpet on top of the daub and then a slab above it would have felt less open. Also, the balcony seems a bit much compared to the roof height.

6. You said in the pics that the house is occupied by 5 people and expecting another? There's little space for them and what is there's not enough bedding. They also seem to have a poor use of space and scattered their goods across the house. A good way to do houses now is to think how the family would use their space and what they need regularly. Where would they place food and china? The kitchen almost occupies all the downstairs area.

7. Logs. There's a lot of logs used for support and general framing of things. These days we only use logs as interior materials for the largest and grandest of places, the majority of ordinary houses do not have logs. The exception is fence and thin logs, when used sparingly or in a pleasing manner.

8. Your gradient is fairly decent for the house style.

ok, so... that's all I had right now, so let's move on shall we. I am going to issue you a challenge to check your skills or current server styles and such, so please build me a Middle Class house in the style of Woodwright.

Good luck!

Enah

Skinchanger
This was very well done! I think apart from the fence as a railing everything was spot on! I think you're ready to be a builder again, congrats! next you log in you should be promoted, if not jsut ask a mod

Status
Not open for further replies.