Completed Project Application: House Vikary by Ric_games & Thevikingcorgi

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Okay, so I have a bit of feedback after noticing your hamlet and road plotting.

Your roads are very linear. While this isnt necessarily a bad thing, makes the lands seem smaller. If you wind the road, make it twist and form switchbacks as it goes up the hill, it will feel longer and the terrain steeper.

I also suggest looking at how Seri and Amm have plotted settlements at Starpike and Banefort. This should be more obvious in starpike as it is still plots. The settlements have easily defendable entrances and not too many of them, then opening onto defendable squares where one can attack an intruder from multiple angles. The walls of buildings meet each other to form a wall.

I suggest you do this with your hamlet outside the walls of the castle. And remember, houses don't always have to have yards. There can be common areas

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey, I few updates on Vikary:

-The Keep is fully done now, both in the exteriors and in the interiors!
-There's a new planned river that we decided on, together with Endy (who helped us a lot on it!). Here it is:
- We have also plotted the hamlet near the keep, that can be reached through /warp Vikary. As asked, the hamlet will not be open to building before mod approval. Here it is:
1738 (red being houses and a sept and yellow yards)

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Also, I would like to make a request regarding this house and the walled field:
This house belongs to the area of the Crag, but we would like very much to use some of it's space in a settlement and, also, the river that cut's through the valley could end up on that area. We would just make the field smaller to a little less than it's half.

Banty said that he's okay with that, so here I ask if it's okay by the mods for it to be done.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Do you want me to have a go at the mountain across the valley to the north of the keep? I didn’t continue updating the terra of the valley up to that point because I wasn’t sure what you wanted to do with it

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey, so a few updates on what is happening at Vikary:

First of all, I gotta thanks Aek and Endy for helping with the terra, Endy for helping with the rivers and Aek for helping with the mountains. So, the mountains around Vikary are better and the rivers are being worked on.

Alex and Zsomi are working on the Hunter Lodge. They are doing a great job imo!

The hamlet from my previous post still has two open plots.

Finally, I decided to start updating the shore. On that regard, I got to thank Emot for teaching me how to better do this. So I would like to ask if I have permission to update the shore of The Crag (adding the grassy sand block) and the shore of Castamere, updating it to be like the ones to the north and to the south of it. To be clear, I would update the shore from the Vikary area until The Crag castle, to the north, and until the Drox coast to the south, following this line basically:

Here's an exemple of how I'm using the grassy sand:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
have a look at some of Carci's beaches and particularly his beach near Necktest as they are good examples of how to shape them to be much more visually interesting. I also suggest that you do some sheep pastures similar to what was present at the stream exit point along the coast to give it a bit more flavour

Reactions: Ric

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hi, all! I found some canon that indicates that there might need to be a mountain pass between Vikary lands and Ashemark lands.

In Clash of Kings, it's stated that after the Battle of Oxcross Robb first takes Ashemark with his army and then heads to the Crag. The only way this would work without backtracking is if there is a mountain pass going from around Ashemark to the Crag.
Since the Crag is finished, I think it'd be the best idea to put the pass between Vikary (in progress) and Ashemark (outdated). There is already a bit of a pass between Vikary and Ashemark over by vkhunterlodge.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Another way is to put the pass on to the northern edge and have it run around back towards Ashemark. That way there isn’t an army sized hole in the mountain range right above the Ashemark castle and doesn’t require the modification to an already done section of Vikary terrain.

Ric

Ser
Staff member
After having a look on the mountain range, I thought of doing something similar to the narrow goat path Robb uses to go around the Golden Tooth. It would be a narrow passage zigzagging thru the mountains basically. I also thought of this two ways:

One on the south, as suggested by Lem and another on the north as Aek suggested. The one more fitting will be done (probably the northern one tho, imo).

Reactions: DjTorec and Antony

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey everyone, a quick update:

The mountain pass indicated by Lemon is done

I'm working on the river near the Castamere lands

Also, Alex just finished plotting this hamlet. If it's okay by the approving mods, it's open to build! It's located near /warp vkmine

Last edited:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I'd just say be mindful of the two houses closes to the camera that appear to share a side. I'd move the diagonal house just a few blocks (maybe 2?) away to give the straight house some space (they can still be touching), because with the current plotting the interiors are extremely small.

Ric

Ser
Staff member
So, here I am for another update:

The river near Castamere lands is done! Thanks Aek for the help :D
2020-06-02_03.33.28.png

Also, I'm working on the only river last, the main one in the middle of the valley:
2020-06-02_03.31.49.png

Besides that, Zsomi is making one of the mines and there are now two caves being worked on too. I plan on soon opening the last house-plots. After all that, just the vegetation/forestation and the beaches that I said I would fix.

Also, there's one mini left, an abandoned mine, in case anyone is interested :)