Completed Project Application - House Rousemont

polopolo

Storyteller
Hey so I've talked to Tham ig and I'm applying for romobrigands!

118604753_317001996177659_8155209579508446311_n.jpg
So here's the plan. From speaking with Tham, he wants quite a lot of input and I'm not feeling that confident so take it more as a initial direction than to a crisp plan. Blacksmith trades with romocharcoal1 for some iron where he provides tools and some weapons for the commune. The closest settlements and activity comes from the south so that's where the main palisade is, but a ditch surrounds all of it. The towerhouse to the north-west provides added warning from potential dangers from Rousemont. The camp acts mostly as a very close knit community, and they share most goods so the crops and livestock are all as a shared goods.

118472628_729053167916309_2789160889480362523_n.jpg
Test for the palisade/small lookout tower/gate. The palisade will vary in height around the camp.

118592167_3168094566600228_7159796922581190093_n.jpg118475930_1064937857287850_1458416583616744969_n.jpg
Some houses test. Made them quickly to find a good mix but will develop further talking with Tham about this.

Last edited:
Romocharcoal3 is complete.
Talked with Tham and moving on to do Romocharcoal4 next.
Romocharcoal4:
This burn will help supply the nearby quarry-hamlet smithy with the charcoal to produce their miner's tools and equipment. Unlike 3, 4 will have a smaller cottage for the burner, considering the densely wooded area. A clearing and path will have to be added in to grant them easier access to the main romohamlet and Bitterbridge road. In general, this will follow the same design as romocharcoal3. I drew up a rough sketch for this one estimating where I *might* place everything. Red indicates the cottage, Green some veggie paches, Cyan marks timber piles, Orange shows two charcoal kilns, Purple indicates a charcoal pile, Yellow would be a cart to take away charcoal to the village, Navy Blue outlines the current paths, Cornflower Blue lines are proposed paths to and from the cottage.
Romocharcoal4.PNG

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
I might consider doing Frithcester if I could possibly maybe also attach Bridges to it as either a redo or update. Like have Bridges as a vassal to Rousemont. That black stone bridge could be a toll bridge and Frithcester/Bridges would serve as a gathering/supply depot for the resources collected in the local area. Maybe even add in a few big ass canoes for shipping resources down that big creek towards LTport at LongTable.

lavahunter92

Messenger
Hey, here is my formal application for romocharcoal2.

I have made two designs for the charcoal burners and made these according to my own historical research and independently from the rest of the server burners. I have also included the smoke clouds because charcoal burners were notorious for constantly pumping out huge amounts of thick smoke. According to my own research the burners also had a wooden frame on the in and outside. I might add some more detail to the dirt mix, but I think this current design is faithful enough.

The yards of the houses will include small crop fields and I will include a small livestock area in one of the yards. (These have not been plotted in my drawing). I will also add a wood/timber open-air storage somewhere, not sure where yet. The two roads will connect to the main roads north and east of this hamlet.

The storage will be used to not only store the charcoal itself but also to store the tools, (maybe cart) and other equipment the charcoal burners might need. This is because of the smaller size of their own homes.

All these test builds are also available for viewing at /warp lavahunter . This is also where you can leave additional tips or tops if you think of any! This is my first mini-app, so don't hold back.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
polopolo Love the tests you did especially the second set. Please use those! I'm cool with the plotting of the houses but the continuous palisade isn't what I had in mind. I was thinking more along the lines of segments of a defensive ring. So keep the palisade height at 2-3 blocks maximum and maybe have segments of 5-15 blocks in length surrounding the settlement, that way it can be open in many directions of the forest. The ditch surrounding all of it is great! Keep that! So some exits will have a simple plank over the ditch others will have nothing. The training area for archery is great! Woodchoping I'd assume would be done for each household, in general lots of life would happen outside in front of the respective cabins. Some ideas here: Basketweaving, drying of herbs, skinning animals, cooking, churning butter, sharpening tools, smoking meat, washing of clothes. Don't forget about places to poop too! I'm a big fan of the old privy trench as an alternative to outhouses for a less developed way of doing one's business.

Scubooty digging it! Thanks man!

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
lavahunter92 great stuff! I love when research challenges common beliefs! Could you include sources please?

I dig your plans, for the sake of consistency however I'd like you to make just one of the charcoal kilns like StanateeManatee has done them (even though they may not be fitting your research). I like your plans but I think it would be better if the storage wasn't made from stone but rather all wood.

The houses are too much of a departure from the style imo, the roof is very low in both of them. I prefer the right one but I think the door and window thatching is odd. It wouldn't suffer from that if the roof was raised by one block, however there might be a way we can find a compromise. I'll make a suggestion in game!

Reactions: thecoddfish

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I might consider doing Frithcester if I could possibly maybe also attach Bridges to it as either a redo or update. Like have Bridges as a vassal to Rousemont. That black stone bridge could be a toll bridge and Frithcester/Bridges would serve as a gathering/supply depot for the resources collected in the local area. Maybe even add in a few big ass canoes for shipping resources down that big creek towards LTport at LongTable.

I'll leave that up to the mods, but I don't disagree. If you do get to redo it, let's communicate a bit more about terra etc so I can run a few of my scripts to make the surroundings fit with the Romo lands.

One additional consideration. @DutchGuard and I discussed that the route of the roseroad that leads through Rousemont hamlet is too narrow and that heavy traffic could divert down to the south i.e. pass through bridges. You could reflect that this is the route for larger long-haul traffic?

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Welp, my PC died when I was taking care of the little one, now it won't even start up anymore. I won't come on until I've found the issue there and fixed it.

Progress report from before the crash:
- I managed to complete swap palettes on the Romo keep from Southern Pink Reach to the more appropriate Northern Gray Reach which all surrounding projects seem to use.
- Did most of the terra at /warp buckley which is close to completion (only some houses, some slabbing and maybe some details in the fields are left) => Mayflumes is handling that!
- I removed the last charcoal burner that nobody has yet applied for. I figured that 3 are more than enough for the area. The last one is being applied for by lavahunter92
- I approve ContraContradict's Hedgeknight camp, StanateeManatee's charcoal burners, @Baffelment's shielings, Scubooty's Hunters camp and Kai Everlast's Lumber camp.
- polopolo started plotting the brigand settlement
- and Ric_games is testing for the spiral.aww-board.png

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Yup, sooo, my graphics card is definitely toasted. Working to get an RMA but I doubt that will happen as it is quite old already.

In any case, to keep the momentum:
Ricardus I like what you've done there! Could you ask an editor to help you paste it in?

lavahunter92 I didn't manage to propose a compromise on the houses but I think the house style that polopolo is going for and the little sod-roof wooden hut that StanateeManatee made are probably good targets! Like I said, please do reuse at least one of their kiln designs and perhaps go easier on the wooden frame, the fence blocks and diagonally placed wooden carpet blocks don't look like a solid frame to me. If you want to indicate that these kilns were partially covered from the outside perhaps the wooden rail type block is a better option.

I also saw that you had planned a lot of accessories (signposts, rocks etc) which I don't think are appropriate since their apprearance on Rousemont lands would be unique. The well is a good idea but please go for the slim designs that you can find at Romokeep or the surrounding farms and the cidery to keep consistency. I feel as though you could use a little extra guidance, could you hit up thecoddfish when you see him in game. I feel he generally has a good eye for how I do things and can help you apply that.

Reactions: Ric and thecoddfish

polopolo

Storyteller
Hey Tham, really sorry but haven't had the motivation to continue the camp over the last few weeks. Uni has started last week and I'm currently quite busy over stuff. I'm dissapointed that I couldn't finish this mini, it's all yours, feel free to take what you want from it. Sorry.