Abandoned Project Application: House Orme Update/Redo by Shymon

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but I think so.
I'm applying for Orme HF1, there's a test at my plot ( /warp Pept1c ), its still a WIP but its mostly finished. I left some signs there explaining stuff.
Once again, maybe this isn't the right space to post it, and please do inform me if I've done something wrong.
This is the exact place you need to post this. ;)
I'll check it out tomorrow and I'll wait for one of my mods to approve.

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but I think so.
I'm applying for Orme HF1, there's a test at my plot ( /warp Pept1c ), its still a WIP but its mostly finished. I left some signs there explaining stuff.
Once again, maybe this isn't the right space to post it, and please do inform me if I've done something wrong.
(its the flying piece of land)

Also please leave feedback!
Approved. Well done.

witherack

Street Preacher
Okay, here goes. This is my application for the second hamlet (H2) and I got an image together for a rough idea of where things could go here.orme hamlet 2 idea.jpgThe yellow is buildings, the green hedges, the blue paths and the brown wattle fences to divide up the yards. I was thinking probably only a small community, 4 houses and one communal bakehouse. Now I hear you ask, why a bakehouse? Well they were staples of farming communities throughout history, and also (the reason) with the current layout and the hedges at the side of the field it would be hard to have a house there that has a normal sized yard. In the yards there would be vegetable gardens and some houses would have chicken pens. Also, the hedges could have some sort of berry bush in a couple of areas. Some ideas for the buildings are at my private plot (/warp witherack) but nothing there is final if you do not like it. Feel free to give feedback.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
the holdfast is approved by me ContraBlonde
i understand you and Shymon want to build a hamlet around it too?
idk if that was specified before, but alright.

Just let me look over the plotting before starting to build the hamlet.

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Okay, here goes. This is my application for the second hamlet (H2) and I got an image together for a rough idea of where things could go here.View attachment 7219The yellow is buildings, the green hedges, the blue paths and the brown wattle fences to divide up the yards. I was thinking probably only a small community, 4 houses and one communal bakehouse. Now I hear you ask, why a bakehouse? Well they were staples of farming communities throughout history, and also (the reason) with the current layout and the hedges at the side of the field it would be hard to have a house there that has a normal sized yard. In the yards there would be vegetable gardens and some houses would have chicken pens. Also, the hedges could have some sort of berry bush in a couple of areas. Some ideas for the buildings are at my private plot (/warp witherack) but nothing there is final if you do not like it. Feel free to give feedback.
Hi, there have been some changes in the terrain and I’m relocating H2... There will be some changes to the requirements. Also, I still have to finish the roads, so wait until tomorrow (CEST) for making a new plan. I apologize for the inconvenience.

UPDATE: The Hamlet 2 is open for planning!

Last edited:

witherack

Street Preacher
I am applying for the mediaeval party mini near Orme. I think it would be a really fun project and I'd love to get some more experience with building. My tests are in my plot (/warp witherack). My idea for it a festival-type occasion, with food, drink and music.

Shymon

Lord Lannister
I am applying for the mediaeval party mini near Orme. I think it would be a really fun project and I'd love to get some more experience with building. My tests are in my plot (/warp witherack). My idea for it a festival-type occasion, with food, drink and music.
Approved.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hi witherack,

I noticed a few things, that need tweaking on your test.

• The cloth cover on that pavillion seems to defy gravity. It looks way too "ballony", also the middle support is just standing on the table. With cloth you need to think about how a piece of cloth would behave if you hang it somewhere irl.2021-02-28_17.53.53 copy.jpg
    You can find a very good example of a similar pavillion at /warp TorTown.
  • Your tents should have lines that connect the to the pegs in the ground. Here's an example from /warp hgtourney
  • 2021-02-28_17.54.18 copy.jpg

witherack

Street Preacher
Yeah, I completely agree with you on the 'balloony' tent. I have changed it slightly to have a central support beam like the example at the tor. With the pavilion tents I have added pegs but rather than having them meet above the tent I have the ropes going into the side just where it begins to slope upwards because that seems to be the case with all the medieval tents I have found examples of.

Reactions: Shymon and Luk

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, I completely agree with you on the 'balloony' tent. I have changed it slightly to have a central support beam like the example at the tor. With the pavilion tents I have added pegs but rather than having them meet above the tent I have the ropes going into the side just where it begins to slope upwards because that seems to be the case with all the medieval tents I have found examples of.
Approved

Reactions: witherack

Peptic

Poet
Hello hello, I have returned to the Orme thread once again, this time I'm applying for hamlet 2. Below is a rough plan of how I though it could look, with yellow representing houses, blue is hedges/walls, green is the barn, and the cyan/yellow is a bakehouse, red is where I figured the well would be, and pink is just some places I believe trees would fit nicely. This is one of the first times ever I've had to plan plotting beforehand, so its rough and definitely subject to change. And from my conversation with Shy yesterday (or the day before yesterday, can't remember) it seemed like I didn't need house tests? Well anyways there are some WIP tests on my plot (/warp pept1c) (also, shameless plug, don't forget to check out the hall of builders while you're there, its the large sept) that you can check out. Please do let me know if I've missed something and I'll try to fix it as soon as I have time!

Attachments

• Hamlet test.jpg
    Hamlet test.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 12

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Hello hello, I have returned to the Orme thread once again, this time I'm applying for hamlet 2. Below is a rough plan of how I though it could look, with yellow representing houses, blue is hedges/walls, green is the barn, and the cyan/yellow is a bakehouse, red is where I figured the well would be, and pink is just some places I believe trees would fit nicely. This is one of the first times ever I've had to plan plotting beforehand, so its rough and definitely subject to change. And from my conversation with Shy yesterday (or the day before yesterday, can't remember) it seemed like I didn't need house tests? Well anyways there are some WIP tests on my plot (/warp pept1c) (also, shameless plug, don't forget to check out the hall of builders while you're there, its the large sept) that you can check out. Please do let me know if I've missed something and I'll try to fix it as soon as I have time!
Greetings Pep,
The plan looks mostly ok, but I do have some feedback;
  • The tithe barn is a lot bigger than a regular barn, so it can't be in the center of the hamlet, it should be a bit further from the main hamlet (I'd say move it to the west). For a better position of tithe barn, I recommend checking /warp tallowshire.
  • Bakehouse isn't really a full-fledged house, therefore I recommend putting it to the center of the hamlet, maybe in the area next to the well. I don't have an example at hand, but I'm sure folks on the server will gracefully provide an example if you ask.
Otherwise you did a good job!
By the way, I don't require house tests because I already have a style which will be used for all hamlets, but feel free doing some tests to see how much you understand the style. ;)
I'll let Luk relay any other feedback if he finds something.