Approved Project Application: House Foxglove by Opaco

Opaco123

Poet
I return with an updated plan for the main settlement as well as tests.

The main settlement will now be closer to a large fortified village at the foot of a former Warrior's Sons commandery. The main inspiration was La Couvertoirade.
2023-04-16_20.39.44.png
New house tests. The ground floor is used as sheep pens with the above floors being the residence. The village will be mostly 1.5-2 story houses, with the square and gates having the larger 2-2.5 houses.
2023-04-16_20.38.59.png
2023-04-16_20.39.32.png

I also have a terra test. Note the area at the bottom is intended to be forested i haven't finalized the tree mix yet. Also things like the flower mix may be changed.
2023-04-16_20.38.31.png

Opaco123

Poet
I return with an updated plan for the main settlement as well as tests.

The main settlement will now be closer to a large fortified village at the foot of a former Warrior's Sons commandery. The main inspiration was La Couvertoirade.
View attachment 17313
New house tests. The ground floor is used as sheep pens with the above floors being the residence. The village will be mostly 1.5-2 story houses, with the square and gates having the larger 2-2.5 houses.
View attachment 17314
View attachment 17316

I also have a terra test. Note the area at the bottom is intended to be forested i haven't finalized the tree mix yet. Also things like the flower mix may be changed.
View attachment 17317
bump

Reactions: Finn01

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hey Opaco123
Sadly I havent been able to come in game lately, but from the look of it, the tests look much better and are in the right direction. I'll try to check them asap and get back to you.
Do you have a castle test as well, other than the mini?

Sorry for the wait!

Opaco123

Poet
Hey Opaco123
Sadly I havent been able to come in game lately, but from the look of it, the tests look much better and are in the right direction. I'll try to check them asap and get back to you.
Do you have a castle test as well, other than the mini?

Sorry for the wait!
For now I plan to keep the castle mostly the same. I would be okay with simplifying it and removing overly fancy additions like the windows on the tower, but I do want to keep most of the shapes the same. Personally, I think the steep roofs for the castle are fine as the closest castles would be Hammerhal, Hunt, and Uplands, which all have steep roofs. Hammerhal in particular has pretty similar shapes to my current tests.

Reactions: Elduwin

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey Opaco,

Great improvement on the tests for the project! I think this style could work well for this area.

The raised entrance with the stair is a bit overdone in my opinion.
It would work well for some houses, but I think having it at all the houses will make the town feel clunky, I'd suggest to apply it maybe to a maximum of a fourth of all the houses in the town.
Also consider some of the stairs to be shared between several houses and placing them between houses rather than in front of them.

All the roofs seem to have large patches of damage or holes in them, is there any specific reason for this?
Usually a leaky roof has a single shingle or slate that has either fallen out or broken, and the leakage from that is enough to be a major discomfort for the residents. Having entire patches of shingles missing would be enough to make it rain as hard or harder inside the building than outside of it.
IMO any roof damage large enough to be displayed in minecraft is way beyond the scope of what would realistically remain unfixed, especially in houses or public buildings.
Consider thatch roofs if you need to make some of the houses look less affluent (though do keep in mind a thatch roof is only waterproofed on an angle of 45 degrees or more).

Good luck with the app!

Opaco123

Poet
Hey Opaco,

Great improvement on the tests for the project! I think this style could work well for this area.

The raised entrance with the stair is a bit overdone in my opinion.
It would work well for some houses, but I think having it at all the houses will make the town feel clunky, I'd suggest to apply it maybe to a maximum of a fourth of all the houses in the town.
Also consider some of the stairs to be shared between several houses and placing them between houses rather than in front of them.

All the roofs seem to have large patches of damage or holes in them, is there any specific reason for this?
Usually a leaky roof has a single shingle or slate that has either fallen out or broken, and the leakage from that is enough to be a major discomfort for the residents. Having entire patches of shingles missing would be enough to make it rain as hard or harder inside the building than outside of it.
IMO any roof damage large enough to be displayed in minecraft is way beyond the scope of what would realistically remain unfixed, especially in houses or public buildings.
Consider thatch roofs if you need to make some of the houses look less affluent (though do keep in mind a thatch roof is only waterproofed on an angle of 45 degrees or more).

Good luck with the app!
I can reduce the amount of stairs. Also a lot of the stairs will be in small attached courtyards not directly on the street. The roofs I can tone down the damage I just based it off of starpike again lol.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hey, sorry again for the delay. Here's some feedback:
- I support stoop's feedbacks. And like he suggested, I'd remove the damage patches. The Starpike insp isn't approved as a style standard for the server.
- For the castle, I'm not sure which are the right tests, but overall I'd toned down the pointy roofs, remove the blue slates and only use black. Not sure jungle wood is the best match as well, I'd probably go for oak as main wood material.
- Still need to see some more terra tests, maybe a forest one.

But I don't want to push it any further, so I'll give you my approval, on the condition of going through me when you start working on the castle and town.
Good luck!

Opaco123

Poet
Hey, sorry again for the delay. Here's some feedback:
- I support stoop's feedbacks. And like he suggested, I'd remove the damage patches. The Starpike insp isn't approved as a style standard for the server.
- For the castle, I'm not sure which are the right tests, but overall I'd toned down the pointy roofs, remove the blue slates and only use black. Not sure jungle wood is the best match as well, I'd probably go for oak as main wood material.
- Still need to see some more terra tests, maybe a forest one.

But I don't want to push it any further, so I'll give you my approval, on the condition of going through me when you start working on the castle and town.
Good luck!
I believe I still need one more approving mod

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey Opaco,

It seems the project has a little difficulty to get a second approval, so I figured to give a round of feedback to perhaps guide the application towards something that might be more enticing to approve. I think there might be some concerns regarding the plans itself, as well as (or in combination with) the experience you have as a project leader to succesfully and independently pull off a project as ambitious as this one seems to be.

Clarity
It's a bit unclear, at least to me, what the plans for the project are precicely. In the original application linked in the first post of the thread the plan is to divide the lands in a valley controlled by the ancestral seat of house Foxglove, while the other (larger?) valley is controlled by a septry with a town. After feedback you made a new scale model for a castle with town, but it's not entirely clear what this changes in the plans. Is it the new seat of house Foxglove, now in the larger valley, or is it still in the smaller valley but now has a town? What happened to the septry and the FotS? Are there now two towns?

Usually project applications come with a few rounds of feedback. Make sure to update the application document when the plans change, so the latest version of the project application and the plans within it is in the original post of the thread. This way everyone can quickly find what the current plans are.

Experience
According to your resumé this will be your first official project. First projects usually require a bit more effort from approving moderators to guide it towards a good ending, and the more ambitious the project the more input is required.

I'd argue the plans in this application are quite ambitious; a large scale terra, a (walled) town, a fairly large castle, a commandery and a septry form the bulk of the project, and all this taken together will make it quite an undertaking for both you as the moderators approving this. Perhaps amending the plans slightly to tone down on the size/amount of the mentioned locations would make the project more appealing to approve.

Plans
I'm not quite sure what the plans are at the moment, but I assume they are mostly unchanged from the plans in the application.
  • Castle - The tests and model of the castle imply it's going to be fairly large. In addition, the cited inspiration for the castle is from the most affluent castle of medieval France (Château d'Étampes, build by the king of France, and Château de Lusignan, depicted in its prime under Jean de Berry, third son of the king of France, regent of France and one of the primary lords in the kingdom). We know little about house Foxglove, but there is nothing indicating they are powerful or affluent. I'd suggest to make the castle much more simple and less extensive.
  • Town and commandery - It seems you're planning a large town in the larger valley, with a second castle/commandery within it. La Couvertoirade is a decent enough inspiration, but the scale model seems to turn the relatively modest commandery from the inspiration into a large and formidable fortress. The sept, of which it seems to have two, is also quite large especially considering the town has two streets. In the application you state most of the buildings in the town will be demolished in favour of fields and farms, but I don't think there is space to pull this off effectively. It's also unclear what the size of the town will be. I'd suggest to make the plans for the commandery more simple and less extensive, perhaps even turning it into a fortified septry instead.
  • Fortified septry - You also indicate there will be a fortified septry in addition to the fortified town with a commandery, in the same valley. The plans for this are not entirely clear, but I'd suggest to turn it into a small septry without fortifications.
  • Economy - The economy you set up for the project is primarily based on agriculture, specifically wine and silk which is mainly situated on the bottom of the valleys, with the slopes being forested. This a fairly good basis for the economy, but I'd like to point you towards the name of the house. Foxglove is a poisonous plant officially called Digitalis. As with most poisons, in small quantities it can be used as medicine. Representation of the plant and associated cultivation of it might give a little more depth and connection within the project. Perhaps one of the septries is widely known as monastic hospital where one can heal from several diseases with the pleasure of crisp mountain air and a cocktail of expertly produced drugs.
I think it'd be easier to attract a second moderator to your project with these changes. However, it's entirely up to you wether you apply the feedback; it's your project after all, and it's important you are happy with it as well.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey opaco,
sorry we kept you waiting so long.
A lot of factors play into such a decision to approve. But after reading through the thread i only have one wish from you:
could you put together an up-to-date map of your plans, with all locations in it? It would greatly help to understand your vision.

Judging from the size of the project, i want to make sure you have the right scale in mind for how to distribute agriculture, settlements, holdfasts, etc. The scale of a project can often be underestimated, especially when it's your first project.
From the map you first posted in your application document, it seems you didn't quite fill the borders that are set out in our dynmap.

As Stoop said, its an ambitious first project. I think a lot more questions will arise once you actually start working on the project, but i look forward to guiding you in the process.

Opaco123

Poet
Hey opaco,
sorry we kept you waiting so long.
A lot of factors play into such a decision to approve. But after reading through the thread i only have one wish from you:
could you put together an up-to-date map of your plans, with all locations in it? It would greatly help to understand your vision.

Judging from the size of the project, i want to make sure you have the right scale in mind for how to distribute agriculture, settlements, holdfasts, etc. The scale of a project can often be underestimated, especially when it's your first project.
From the map you first posted in your application document, it seems you didn't quite fill the borders that are set out in our dynmap.

As Stoop said, its an ambitious first project. I think a lot more questions will arise once you actually start working on the project, but i look forward to guiding you in the process.
Hi, sorry it's been awhile, I've had a busy summer. I updated my application and linked it below. There's a new map there as well as the updated tests for the town. Let me know if you need anything else.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Opaco123

I think my concerns have been adressed with the new map.
I'm happy to approve the project too, so you can go ahead and start when you're ready :)

Let me or Elduwin know if you have any questions or if you're considering bigger deviations from your laid out plans.
I hope we can be in close contact during the project.
Like Eld said, we would like you to go through your plans with us again once you start working on the castle and town.

Have fun!