Approved Project Application: House Conklyn by EarlNosyGarlic (JackPlaysX)

_Benja

Street Preacher
Awesome house tests! I did want to mention, however, in addition to the current curvature on the roofing you could add some houses that have some plain sloped roofs that could give the town/hamlets more variety :)

Reactions: PoziPoisonDart

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hey, nice 1st app,
I have a few concerns:
- what are exactly the "forest hamlets"? do you plan to have any forest around them? wood industry?
- why would the larger hamlet would be in the middle of the fields? and not along one of the main road?
- why having the small village if there is a town nearby? wouldn't people prefer to gather at Brandybottom?
- for the town, I'd just recommend not having a scribe, as it's a very high classified profession, only for large towns and cities
- what is the agricultural activity of your lands? what crops? how would it be organized?

Finally, as it is your 1st project, I'd like to warn you on the large challenge a town can be. It's time-consuming and requires a lot of motivation, during the whole project. If there's one advice I could give you, it's to start with the rest of your lands, such as hamlets, castle, farms, etc; and then finish (or at least not start) with the town, so you can train yourself on hamlet and others, especially for plotting. Actually, I'd recommend applying for an hamlet before fully applying for this, as you'd learn plotting basics, more than with a HF. I also recommend you to look at other towns on the server and make some researches on how medieval towns were planned.
I don't feel really legitimate to say that, because I've started with the town at Uffering, but now I regret it and want to redo it...

Anyway, good luck with that!

EarlNosyGarlic

Faith Militant
Alright eld, i'll start with awnsering your questions :3

-The forest hamlets are hamlets where they primary industry is wood and yes it will have a forest around it.
-Well there will be roads to all the hamlets, possibly a road from the north-west of BB
-The village is the first settlement of House Conklyn while Brandy Bottom isn't, it was under the control of House Osgrey for years untill they lost it, so Conklyn didn't have BB first, witch is why there's a small village.
-I agree with replacing the scribe, I'll find somthing to replace it :3
-The agruculture will be things like wheat, grain, some fruit so orchards, melons etc. I'll add that to the app :3

Now for the your worries regarding the town, everyone has told me how long it can take and how dificult it is, I belive that and i'll take your advice on doing it last along with studiing the towns on the server and do some reaserch before i'll start and now the ploting, I have some experiance acttualy, I helped Chep at Stackhouse by plotting some scattered houses and a few in the small village, plus I like a challange :3

Also Benja, I like that idea, i'll keep it in mind

Thank you for your adices~~

Reactions: Elduwin
Hi Jack,
So when I started Durwell, I was tasked with creating a regional style. This style is the new standard for the sworn sword lands AFAIK so for continuitys sake, you should use my house style. In my opinion the houses you made don't blend very well with the rest of the reach. I also think that you have too many hamlets planned, Conklyn is a small reach house, and is already surrounded by hamlets close by. The population density is far too high. I think you should change the number of hamlets to 2 major ones, with fields scattered about the countryside. Also, when I apped for Durwell, mods told me that Brandybottom would most likely be a standalone project, due to its size. I apped for Brandybottom as part of durwell, but this part of my application was turned down hence the size and complexity of town planning. I agree with eld that you should get more practice before you take on a town with 30-35 houses. If you need any help, I know this region well and would be happy to provide any.
Good luck,
-Duck

Reactions: PoziPoisonDart

EarlNosyGarlic

Faith Militant
I see, alright, I'll change the style to it :3

For the hamlets, I suppose I'll remove the far northern one and far southern one, but I'm not certain yet, I need some time to think aboot it.

And BB, well I though it would be a standalone project aswell but was later notified by Iwan that it's part of Conklyn so whoever apps for Conklyn also apps for Brandy Bottom. For your concerns, I'll find a hamlet to app for, I do agree that I'm not that experianced in plotting but have some basic knowledge.

Thank you for your adivce and offer for help Duck, I'll be sure to keep it in mind :3~~

Some more feedback:
I left a gradient on your plot, next to the castle. One thing I noticed about the castle is that it seems awfully large for a small house like conklyn. Due to the small size of the lands, it just seems out of place. I think a castle on par with the size of Lyberr would be a better fit. For house tests, feel free to copy my style guide found at /warp durwelltown, and I can explain any questions you have about the style ingame.
Cheers,
-Duck

_Benja

Street Preacher
Some more feedback:
I left a gradient on your plot, next to the castle. One thing I noticed about the castle is that it seems awfully large for a small house like conklyn. Due to the small size of the lands, it just seems out of place. I think a castle on par with the size of Lyberr would be a better fit. For house tests, feel free to copy my style guide found at /warp durwelltown, and I can explain any questions you have about the style ingame.
Cheers,
-Duck
It is rather large, yes, but to help with this (Jack) you might try confining your yard space a little more. As is, your yard is rather large and unless you have a special plan for that it seems to be a little unnecessary. I'd suggest maybe downgrading the private sept (or remove it and maybe incorporate it into the rest of your yard) and move your wall up as far as possible. This is just my two cents, but I hope it helps. If you need help I can show you what I mean :)

Enah

Skinchanger
Hey jack, so, you had been asking me on opinions and such for this, and I apologize for how little help I did offer you, however, I am now going to be working with you to make this castle work with the local surroundings and the nearby westerlands builds! So, I also recommend doing another small mini or hamlet but don't give up!

Hi Jack,
-I still think you should use my house tests for low and middle class and not have two styles for Westerlands and Reach
-Were you planning a forest anywhere in your lands?
-The southwestern hamlet could have a road connecting with the coldmoat-durwell road
-Possibly include a map of brandybottom in more detail, showing the layout and spacing of the town
-You may want to increase the size of some of the hamlets due to the amount of fields you have planned. IMO you should replace the southwestern hamlet with a forestry hamlet and continue on the forests I started in Durwell
Castle looks great! Hope this feedback helps!

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
Hello!
I feel like using the exact same houses that are used at another project isn't the best solution to regional consistency. Yes, the Sworn sword lands should be consistent, but in my opinion, it's better to have similar styles, not exactly the same. It's what separates the projects in the region. For example, not every village in a certain part of Europe would have the same house style - there are always some differences that make every village or town unique.
In Minecraft, there's always room for improvement style-wise. That's why we need to include the house pictures in our applications - our skills develop by creating something new, not by copying.

Dragons

Fair point dragons, just when I started Durwell I was told I also needed to create a style that would be used as the updated standard for the sworn sword lands. I guess if you wont use the same style, you should at least change the wood roofs on the low class houses to thatch, seeing as you have no forests anywhere in your lands.

EarlNosyGarlic

Faith Militant
Hey everyone I have made a very important edit regarding Brandybottom, point is I found out that it's acttually a village so I changed the plans of the village. Quite the error I did there :p

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hey Jack, could you give us the canon information about it being a village or a town pls? I thought it was a town too...

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Okay thanks!
Even if it's described as a village instead of a town, don't underestimate it, it still has a proper name, which is rare in Westeros canon, so still is important for the server.
Approved for me!
Just let me and Enah know when you've finished plotting BB and before opening it (if you plan to do so) :)