Approved House Lolliston: By wazgamer

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
So I was feeling like Sweetwillow was pretty dated as it was built during the 2018 KL redo and before a lot of newer town builds like Duskendale. So as town layouts go it's pretty much just a bunch of houses crammed together within a wall.

I definitely think that the houses need to be remastered and I'd like to take that opportunity to rejig the layout slightly and add some examples of raiding by the Lannister host.

I've made a new map layout that sticks to the location of the town but moves around the houses and takes away a lot of the features i feel made Sweetwillow feel rigid. I'm unsure if i should keep the palisade as it is likely they may have built one once the war started. (ALL feedback and criticism is welcome)

Here's my lil map:
To summarise
  • I made the houses less packed
  • I added an industry section at the south of the town so it is separated from most of the town (river boatyard) (barrel makers) and some other minor trades
  • I removed the wall and gatehouses and replaced the one at the bridge with a tower/tollhouse
  • I moved the town hall to be in the place of the holdfast (I will essentially merge these together) Having a town hall with a little courtyard
  • I will also remove any evidence of the previous canonical burning of sweet willow other than the small graveyard of burned ruins by the southern peak ( i think this is a cool feature and lore on my part)
  • The septry is exactly the same
  • There was originally a dock running all across the green fork part of sweetwillow but i think i will make this smaller and reserve it as just a river boat building and light trading river port

sweetwillowredopng.png

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Loving the new plans waz! I noticed your approving mods are no longer active, so I'm happy to step in as one of them.

I just have a few comments for your consideration.

- The road going north to south is the Kingsroad. There is currently no alternative route around the town. When the gates close, how do people travel along the road? You have suggested removing the palisades so this might already be addressed.
- Referring back to my earlier reply, Tywin has at this point marched to the Battle on the Green Fork, which I have tentatively sited just north of Lolliston (/warp battleonthegreenfork, could be further north) and returned to Harrenhal, so the war has very much already started in this part of the Riverlands. It will have been about a month and a half since the battle.
- A suggestion which might solve both issues is to reroute the Kingsroad to bypass Lolliston, and beef up the towns security. Tywin was in a rush heading north and probably was heading south as well. If the town was well defended and he didn't actually have to go through it, he may have spared it. Or maybe the Lollistons are traitors and sided with Tywin if he promised not to destroy the town? Would this be plausible considering how brutal Tywin is during his conquest of the Riverlands? Either way it would be hard to believe if Lolliston and the surrounding land was completely unscathed just over a month after an army of thousands marched through it, twice.

Anyway, I'm just glad you're working on the project again. Let me know what you think.

PS: If you fancied it and wanted to incorporate the battlefield along the Green Fork, that could be arranged. Could also be a fun mini for anyone interested in that kind of thing. Abandoned tents, extinguished fires, hastily chopped down trees for firewood, muddy patches stained with blood, maybe the odd rusty sword stuck in the dirt, etc etc.

• Love
Reactions: Ric and Wazgamer

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Loving the new plans waz! I noticed your approving mods are no longer active, so I'm happy to step in as one of them.

I just have a few comments for your consideration.

- The road going north to south is the Kingsroad. There is currently no alternative route around the town. When the gates close, how do people travel along the road? You have suggested removing the palisades so this might already be addressed.
- Referring back to my earlier reply, Tywin has at this point marched to the Battle on the Green Fork, which I have tentatively sited just north of Lolliston (/warp battleonthegreenfork, could be further north) and returned to Harrenhal, so the war has very much already started in this part of the Riverlands. It will have been about a month and a half since the battle.
- A suggestion which might solve both issues is to reroute the Kingsroad to bypass Lolliston, and beef up the towns security. Tywin was in a rush heading north and probably was heading south as well. If the town was well defended and he didn't actually have to go through it, he may have spared it. Or maybe the Lollistons are traitors and sided with Tywin if he promised not to destroy the town? Would this be plausible considering how brutal Tywin is during his conquest of the Riverlands? Either way it would be hard to believe if Lolliston and the surrounding land was completely unscathed just over a month after an army of thousands marched through it, twice.

Anyway, I'm just glad you're working on the project again. Let me know what you think.

PS: If you fancied it and wanted to incorporate the battlefield along the Green Fork, that could be arranged. Could also be a fun mini for anyone interested in that kind of thing. Abandoned tents, extinguished fires, hastily chopped down trees for firewood, muddy patches stained with blood, maybe the odd rusty sword stuck in the dirt, etc etc.
Always love your ideas Dutch!
I think it might be kind of hard to reroute the road itself. However, in the current Sweetwillow the Kings road kind of gets funneled through the buildings so i was thinking of making sure the road doesn’t lose any width by going through the town (i feel like I accidentally chopped off some blocks)

I’d be happy to add some examples of a more wartorn riverlands. Like some repairs happening on the houses and old tents etc

I think it’s likely that the town saw Tywin’s host and just retreated to the septry without much of a fight. I was considering that the Tywin could have burned down the little hamlet in front of the town to make an example. And then he simply marched through, with some soldiers looting on the way.

I’d be honoured to do the battle scene but I’ll see if I have time haha.

Reactions: DutchGuard

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Always love your ideas Dutch!
I think it might be kind of hard to reroute the road itself. However, in the current Sweetwillow the Kings road kind of gets funneled through the buildings so i was thinking of making sure the road doesn’t lose any width by going through the town (i feel like I accidentally chopped off some blocks)

I’d be happy to add some examples of a more wartorn riverlands. Like some repairs happening on the houses and old tents etc

I think it’s likely that the town saw Tywin’s host and just retreated to the septry without much of a fight. I was considering that the Tywin could have burned down the little hamlet in front of the town to make an example. And then he simply marched through, with some soldiers looting on the way.

I’d be honoured to do the battle scene but I’ll see if I have time haha.
This all sounds great. No worries about the battleground, its currently plotted as part of House Penny lands.

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Hey guys I marked on Dynmap a plot for the Sweetwillow town hall. I'd love to open this up for some "minibuild" applications if anyone is interested.

It will just be a small fortified town hall used by merchants/guilds to discuss trade and for the town magistrate/thane/burgher to do work with maybe some area for storing supplies. Feel free to take inspiration from other Riverlands builds but also check out the sweetwillow septry and ./warp lollistoncastle for inspiration.

Thanks!

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I've done a test for a small town hall but haven't really fleshed out the ints of the top floor. Just offering it to anyone else if interested in completing it or using it in their own mini app.

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Hello! Plots at Sweetwillow are now open!

Please read the golden notes spread throughout the towns and follow the general style shown. However, please be creative and add some interesting features!

P.S Aero and Stoop Id be happy to have either of your townhalls

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Hi, so i've been plotting out the lower class area of SweetWillow and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it? :D

Reactions: FD001__

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
so a couple of things:

all the houses on the main street of sweetwillow are either complete or wip. Would one of my mods be able to go through them? I'm having a bit of a problem with style consistency due to thatch overhangs.

Also I'm thinking of opening up the septry to a bit of a renovation if anyone would be interested?

I've also been working on the rivers which is going well, and if anyone wants to apply for a diagonal bridge for the kingsroad crossing at sweetwillow feel free!

Reactions: AerioOndos

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Hello, I would like to propose my hamlets as mini builds for as they need a redo.

lolliraid.png

This map symbolises the extent of Lannister raiding in the area. In the south, the Lannisters had a strong foothold as seen by Tywin's army at the Inn of crossroads. When he travelled north to the battle of the GF he used the king's road that goes directly through Lolliston. However, we know he was moving quickly both on the way North and South again, and it has now been almost 2 months since the battle.

With this information, I have decided that the orange area will have seen plenty of raiding activity. Homes and fields burned, and almost all goods that could be taken were easily looted, especially along the king's road. However, what people survived by going to the Septry or the small holdfast are now rebuilding.

Bringing me on to the first lumber camp (the one south of the river highlighted in green). The Lannister host definitely wouldn't have travelled up a forest road so it will be completely untouched but there should be signs of great deforestation which will be required to rebuild the southern hamlets.

The town was left pretty much untouched as it is not so simple to burn a town that clings on to the only road fit for an army to quickly march through and would have no real benefit to the Lannisters other than general chaos which they had already achieved in southern lolliston. But there will be signs of war with mass graves where the original Lolliston graveyard was. The townsfolk buried any semblance of a body they could find whether the people were slaughtered or burned.

Moving North there is firstly the fishing hamlet. This was also untouched and just needs a simple redo. The same for the 2nd lumber camp which is much smaller than the southern one so won't have such great signs of deforestation.

Finally, there is the Village just before the lands of House Penny (where the battle happened). It is IMO likely the Lannisters also left this village on their way to the battle but after defeating the Stark Host they at the very least looted the village (especially the brewery I'm sure). However it shouldn't be so war torn as the South of Lolliston.

In conclusion

Lolliston Southern Hamlet 1 - Burned and looted likely no sign of rebuilding as the people had nowhere to flee to (maybe similar burnt level to bigglestone) It should have 5 houses and 1 or 2 barns as it was a solely farming hamlet.

Lolliston Southern Hamlet 2 (Next to Sweetwillow) -Burned and looted, some sign of rebuilt hamlets. 8 Houses, also some barns and hunting sheds. Probably some lannister tents and arms that were left behind.

Lolliston Southern Lumber Hamlet - Signs of deforestation and carts taking wood to rebuild the burned areas. 3 houses and a lumber mill.

Lolliston Northern Lumber Hamlet - 1 or 2 houses and a small lumber mill

Lolliston Fishing Hamlet - 6 Houses all focussed on fishing.

Lolliston Northern Village - Signs of looting and. maybe some burnt buildings. 10 houses and a brewery. There is also a fortified farmstead outside of the village which just needs a redo.

I'd be really happy to accept any mini build applications for these alongside any feedback anyone may have. Thank you :D

Servus everyone,

Waz and me decided that I will redo the Mini "fishing hamlet on the green arm" for his sweetwillow project.
/warp lollistonhamlet2
I will test it on my plot / warp wurst
Fishing Hamlet Sweetwillow Mini.PNG
The main focus of the hamlet is fishing. They also have a little bit agriculture.
I will add:
- domestic houses for fishers and familys
- Fishsmokehouse
- small sales stand for fish
- very small tavern (maybe)
- boathouse

On the Isle i want to add a small wooden watchtower and fish traps between the land and the isle. its a perfect spot to catch fish without much efford.
I think a bridge over to the Isle would be too much, maybe a 1 block wide wood or oak? or just a rope??
Fishing Hamlet Sweetwillow Mini Isle.png

Last edited:
Servus everyone,

I've plotted the hamlet and the rough outlines of the landscape/terra.
There are 6 houses living in a close village community. A fisherman family lives in each house. They share a garden cultivated together for vegetables, berries, apple trees and produce smoked fish.
There is a little special: after work, a fisherman and his wife open their really small pub with a balcony on some days.

The village itself opens towards the inner curve of the river.
Houses are laid out in such a way that their shape offers some protection.
The small cliff has been rounded and washed away by the water over the centuries. There will be fish traps below, and a small wooden watchtower on the sandbank.

Note: the wall out of the village is optional. it depents on the way from sweetwillow

Plotting Birdview(1).png2022-09-23_12.29.38.png

Added:

-washingarea

Last edited:
Reactions: Wazgamer

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Hio Wurst! I really like the Hamlet.

All i would say is make sure all the plots are atleast 6 blocks wide in sweetwillow they are between 6-8. Just so the style of the low class houses stays consistent.

I like the shared garden idea, infact i think in Harrenhal town there’s examples of houses with a couple farm plots each, if it was plotted like that i think it’d look great!

and finally regardless of the shared garden each plot should have some sort of storage to add some diversity to the houses. This could be for tools, winter supplies, wood etc.

I’m sure those things are easy to modify
So approved from me! You just need one of my mods too.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Looks really nice Wurst, could add a small boat or two along the river banks.

Just with this house, you could complete the diagonal to the walls by shifting them one block across to the right, following the line in red (same as the house to its left). The yard could be a little bigger too (they’ve got all that space on the southern side), the blue line could be the stone wall and the yellow could be some natural rocks that could act as the wall foundations.

Otherwise all approved by me. Sorry for the squiggles!
88F280B3-1C31-40AE-9BC2-ED10AFE6B7C2.jpeg