Abandoned House Ferren - ZeRamenGuy

Ramen

Faith Militant
Update: I'm dropping Ferren because I know I will never have the time nor the motivation to terraform the lands for a second time in order to accommodate unforeseen changes that were made to the project some time ago. The castle and village both stand at around 90% completion, so anyone with a love of terraforming shouldn't have much trouble finishing the project.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Bump from the dead - I've discussed with Ramen and gotten his blessing to facilitate the fostering of Ferren. For those unfamiliar, Ferren is a small project in the Westerlands in a valley to the north west of Hawthorne.

As Ramen said, there's not much left to do, essentially just the addition of some more fields around the keep, a hamlet to the north west and some forest to the south.

Here's the plan:

I've run this passed Lem and she's fine with the terra plans along the area next to Hawthorne. The terra would be consistent with the latest work around Sarsfield and Parren.

So, I think the next steps are to open up the hamlet as a mini-app, it would be a simple one with 5-7 houses in the same style as /warp ferren. You can look to the various hawthorne hamlets/farms for inspiration.

I think @Iwan was one of the original approving mods, so would be great to get his sign off on the plans.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Are you going to update the terrainset mountains too, like how Endy did it at Stackspear?

Enah

Skinchanger
Just a question, can you do a foster which is essentially counted as an actual project, while having a project?

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Typically, I'd say no. You'd have to do what endy did and temporarily drop your existing project. But other mods might disagree.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I'm all for taking up foster projects but shouldn't you at least wait for approval before starting?

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Well it's worth clarifying the requirements for a foster then, since this in itself is a unique situation where the original project leader (who's still a mod themselves) has approved the plans, which are essentially the same that were originally approved on his initial application anyway.

Last edited:

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I don't think this is a unique situation at all. Wether any of the involved builders are moderators has nothing to do with the situation.

You're saying Ramen is your approving moderator, while also being the one who originally made the plans. Since when are moderators allowed to approve their own projects?

I agree with you that fostering the project should not be a problem, after all the whole idea of fostering is finishing plans that have already been approved. However, there is still going to be a post-approval process which should be carried out by moderators who are, or were, not the builder of the project, and I think this should be streamlined beforehand. You're going to need at least one eligible moderator to approve the foster before you can start working on the project, just like any other project on the server.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I agree with Stoop. We've never accepted casual in-game approvals for projects, even if from the original project lead/mod. These things all need to go through the explicit process just like any build. The last time we let a foster-like build slide beneath the forums was with Carc's cape kraken stuff, and well, that's a bit of a mess right now...

That said, I was one of the project mods before Ramen dropped it (I think??), so if you're just finishing up the terra and seeing the existing hamlet plans to completion, I'm happy to approve.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
While I love otters, the sigil actually has ferrets. Interestingly, it seems that from at least Ancient Roman times ferrets were used for hunting. Augustus even sent ferrets to the Balearic Islands to control rabbit plagues in 6BCE. In England, in 1390, a law was enacted restricting the use of ferrets for hunting to the relatively wealthy.

In terms of hunting, though, while it might make sense for a house to have a designated person/community focused on hunting, I don't know if it makes much sense to put them in an area surrounded by fields/crops.

Reactions: Ramen

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
While I love otters, the sigil actually has ferrets. Interestingly, it seems that from at least Ancient Roman times ferrets were used for hunting. Augustus even sent ferrets to the Balearic Islands to control rabbit plagues in 6BCE. In England, in 1390, a law was enacted restricting the use of ferrets for hunting to the relatively wealthy.

In terms of hunting, though, while it might make sense for a house to have a designated person/community focused on hunting, I don't know if it makes much sense to put them in an area surrounded by fields/crops.
Ah I see. So no hunters or furrier. I’ll work on revising my plan. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Ramen

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Okay, so I can't edit the plan image because of how I made it originally, but I have mentioned what the hunter and furrier will become on the plan document above.