Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
diitseiPertti

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Finland

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I really don't know what the best thing is.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Ironoaks because I like castles and I like water builds.

Why do you want to join our server?
I want to help with this massive project.

2021-03-17_19.19.33.png2021-03-17_19.19.45.png2021-03-17_19.19.57.png2021-03-17_19.20.13.png2021-03-17_19.20.20.png2021-03-17_19.20.33.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi diitsei,

I hope you found this a useful task, seeing the kinds of blocks and details we use to bring the world to life.

Looks like you've nailed it, so for your first challenge can you please build me a house you think you'd find in /warp Duskendale.

Veggie

Veggie

The Old Bear
Exteriors are largely fine, I know it's hard to detail the daub on those long houses intended to be in a row. In the future try and make a more cohesive pattern though.

I think with your interiors you've made the mistake of firstly;

1. Don't put everything at the edges of the room. I know it's easy to fill up blank walls but you actually make the space feel smaller and each room look like the inside of a galley. So don't be afraid to put tables and storage which cuts across the room rather than following the same axis as the wall.

2. Don't just fill space for the sake of filling it. I think this is most clear in the attic room where you've put fish baskets everywhere-- these'd be heavy, also why store fish in the attic? Bet it'd stink. These are the kinds of things you need to think about whilst building. Don't be afraid to break rooms down into smaller rooms with half halls, full blocks etc.

3. Slate roofs are heavy and need more support beneath them in the rafters.

Take some time to dwell on improving your interiors and build something in the /warp Woodwright style.

Good luck,

Veg

Veggie

The Old Bear
I think you're right to not be sure on your interiors, they're not quite there yet but a definite improvement from your first build.

Again, don't be scared to fill the space with subtle things which add depth. So for example on your ground floor you can put a thatch ground down in big splotches with carpet blocks. This adds some visual interest, as well as being like the historical rushes medieval homes would use on their earthen floors.

You've got to think about the blocks in terms of how you'd use them. For example the floating drawer blocks-- imagine the difficulty of using a drawer which was above head height, you wouldn't be able to see what's in the drawer!

There are lots of resources such as /warp ikea to give you furnishing ideas, as well as just further exploring the interiors of other homes. There is nothing wrong with copying what others have done in their interiors.

Don't forget to add some suggestions at rafters/roof supports in your attic. The whole blocks are jarring.

For your gradient, it's pretty subtle at Woodwright if you're not looking for it, but certain blocks shouldn't touch the others. So if you think of the build as a gradient from Reach Cobblestone > Reach Brick > Reach Light Stone > Light Stone, on the whole one block won't touch a block two steps down in its gradient. So Reach Cobblestone shouldn't touch Light Stone for example.

For your next challenge please build something in the /warp TheTor style. These are houses which should give you some nice sized rooms to practice your interiors.

Good luck

Veg

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hey Diitsei,

Sorry for the long reply, I've been super busy.

Your exteriors are fine, just one criticism. You should have been more liberal with the sandstone block, which would have made the gradient look more gradual, it's very lannisport brick/arbor brick heavy which could have been broken down with more usage of the sandstone.

Your interiors still need work, they feel very empty. I think you could have benefited by using some more visually busy rafters-- as this style is so square the rooms can feel very boxy, so try and break them up. An example would to be have jungle half slabs on the underside of the rafters too just to add some depth.

Don't just feel the need to fill space, which I think is most clear with your basket usage. Again, you have a tendency to push all furniture to the walls, with tables and chairs in the centre.

/warp ikea is a very useful resource to find lots of different types of furnishing. The best resource is practice and familiarising yourself more with the blocks used in houses. After a quick look around The Tor, you would have produced better interiors with the furnishings found there; shelves, banners, more cupboards etc.

Take some time to reflect on this and then build me an apothecary in the /warp tumbleton style. A specific profession might help you in picking more specific furnishings.

Good luck!

Veg

diitseiPertti

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him
Here it is. On the ground floor they have the shop and workshop/ kitchen since they require the same things mostly. On the second floor they have a dining area and some storage for the shop. On the top floor they have a second dining table for the kids (there are 3) and beds.2021-03-28_22.10.44.png2021-03-28_21.53.53.png2021-03-28_21.54.08.png2021-03-28_21.54.27.png2021-03-28_21.54.52.png2021-03-28_21.55.00.png2021-03-28_21.55.09.png2021-03-28_21.55.14.png2021-03-28_21.54.33.png

Attachments

• 2021-03-28_21.53.16.png
    2021-03-28_21.53.16.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Diitsei,

Good improvement, there are still some minor detailing choices that I think will be best ironed out by you working with your probation leader rather than me getting back to you every couple of days for a response.

I'm confident you'll develop really quickly over the course of your probation period, so I'm pleased to welcome you to the build team.

Congrats!

Veggie