Completed Project Application: House Graceford by Margaery and Desmera

Augurex

Poet
You’ve done a beautiful job. I can just see guests exploring Highgarden, looking out a window from Margaery’s rooms, and wondering about that castle down the river Mander and deciding to explore that next. Holy moly, Holy Hall!

Edit: ofc I’m not altogether sure what the default view distance is and whether it allows HH to be seen from HG...

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I reckon 16 chunks but when I actually want to see a place from the ground and explore, I change it to 20+

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
Hello!

Here’s my application for the hamlet south east of /warp holyhallbridge.

Info:
- 5-6 buildings.
  • 1 Butcher
  • Baker
  • 3-4 low class houses

I’ll build these in the style already established by the houses dotted around the Graceford lands. the houses will have thatch or jungle wood roofs and fairly sizeable yards for growing crops as well. The butcher will have a shed about middling size for meat storage. There will be a well in close proximity to the houses and an area for drying clothes nearby.

I think it would make for an interesting detail to have a cart from the nearby cidery selling unusable apples to the residents, but there might be some details I’m missing; do cideries even have unusable apples, or does anything go when making cider? Also, I’m not sure of the economy of the hamlet, the baker and butcher will be making money, but where or how do the rest of the residents earn the money to buy these apples? It's just a thought but might look cool.

I’m not sure if Marg and Des have any plans to place crops around the hamlet so I’ve not accounted for fields in this app, but I’d be happy to revise it and add some plans for fields if you like.

Proposed Plan:

Model:

Real Size:

Thatch Variant and Gradient 1:

Jungle Variant and Gradient 2:

All tests can be found on the bottom layer of my plot, and thanks to Maj for copying the land over to my plot!

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: AerioOndos

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
Just as an aside, I forgot to ask if I just need either Marg or Des' approval to go ahead with this or their approval in conjunction to a mods? :)

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
New plots available at /warp holyhalltown

If it has a marker denoting what the profession and class is go ahead and build

Please remember to put a marker with your name and the status of your build (WIP, done, etc.)

Consult with Des or I if you have any questions

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Update on progress for April

c1ZEspb.png

This is Holy Hall at the time when we applied in January

JoyodsR.png

This is Holy Hall as of today

There are a variety of things left to do including filling in the remainder of the fields, filling in the forest, and a awaiting on @WhereRmyDragons's holdfast. For example:

yT7Om04.png

The areas in yellow are hamlets that require to be completed and are open to build at with a few ancillary houses around the countryside. However there have been issues with a few builders lately that need to be addressed about houses.

1) NO LOGS.

Logs should not be used in any form of support in any house. This is an outdated form of building from years ago and we'd appreciate it if you stayed within the standard of building that exists in the West Bank of Holy Hall.

2) Do not cordon off ceiling space.

I've noticed in a few houses here and there that in rooves that some builders will build a horizontal roof across the entire ceiling and essentially "seal off" the upper space creating a pocket of dead space. Please do not do this and follow the example of ints at /warp holyhallvillage1

3) Lazy WE work.

In addition I've seen a lot of instances of builders with WorldEdit using their privileges to do shoddy Worldedits to quickly change the floors from green wool to dirt/gravel with selections that leave rectangular patches of dirt/gravel in places they dont make sense to be. Dirt/gravel should go in areas where the peasantry walk and work on commonly. It doesnt make sense for strips of dirt to be located against walls surrounded by grass in spots that wouldn't make sense for them to go.

4) Low Houses

4 times now I've found houses that are so low to the ground that their windows and doors are at the same level and there is barely room indoors to stand. Houses need at least 1 block of wall material above the door to be acceptable.

5) Uneven floors

Some houses will be plotted on uneven land or on slopes. Most people have gotten and adapted by either terracing the yards with oak half doors and wattle or added in dirt slabs to create an incline. What isn't accetable is to leave the yards on sharp angles with full blocks.

Moreover floors in houses must ALWAYS be level. More than once I've found houses and barns with very odd inclines inside of them.

6) Garden Plots

In yards please avoid creating garden plots that take up more space in the yard than anything else. These are not fields these are not for economic uses, these are for the personal sustenance of the peasantry. If a garden plot is more than 12 blocks large it may be too big.

Furthermore be mindful of the content of the garden plots. There is a severe overuse of strawberries since theyre a very "one and done" kind of thing to place. Utilize other crops and consult with neighboring plots on what kinds of things to plant.

7) Other:
  • Do not place rabbits over open flames. This is not how rabbits are cooked.
  • Do not place harness blocks without anything for them to hold such as sausages or a basket
  • No wattle in place of shutters. All houses at HH utilize open windows and shutters. Wattle is not to be used.
  • Connect road to house with a small trail of bronze blocks. Houses require paths to their doors.
  • Apply smoke. In any house with a fire/embers chimneys must be made with smoke flowing SOUTH WEST.
  • Label your houses. Put your name and keep the indicative blocks nearby to indicate what you made.
Thank you and happy building!

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I have completed the remaining terra at the forest and finished the two streams on the peninsula, as of this the project of Holy Hall is officially complete and ready for review, HOWEVER

I've left the Rowan River blank for @Elduwin since Im terrible at river terra and im awaiting for the forest understory pallete at Uffering to apply at Holy Hall.

But if Eld or @Howy want to take a look at it please go ahead

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I noticed that the forests in Holy Hall still has large patches of green and brown wool. I understand the forest undergrowth is going to be adressed when Uffering's is, but what is up with the green wool?

The valley in the north of the project has a rediculous amount of flowers and tall grass, rendering it into something I can only call the Dancing Valley of lag. How did the trees there not grow near the banks of the river? Has it anything to do with the stone Garth Greenhand soiling his breeches as the source of the river?

Furthermore, the general trend among the project is to put flowers literally anywhere. I can understand a rich assortment of flowers in fields, but what flowers does the assortment of wild growing flowers represent? For what purpose are the flowers grown in fields and what flowers are those? The cattle must be joining the forces of Renly Baratheon since the fields they usually stand in have started to overgrow.

I'm sorry to bring it up after the project was post-approved but I just noticed it and expected the approving moderators to ask similar questions before post-approving something.