Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I remember this being intentional, though I can't for the life of me remember why it's the case. I think it had to do with some oddities with the way stone slabs worked in vanilla with the original Dokucraft pack. The first one is supposed to be an "ornate" version ostensibly.

The second one can be added as a full block, though it's not really priority atm. It'll be done when we do all the vanilla to custom model ports that have built up.

Reactions: Enah

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
On the point about matching the wool palettes, I'm not convinced there's enough variety in them to do all the designs justice. It would really limit the ability to add depth to the more complicated ones, and tbh I don't think the visual continuity is that crucial when the banners would be used so sparingly.

In the photo above, the second option uses all the shades of red in the wool block, and you can see how narrow the visual range is. The third option is my preferred compromise, which uses the red wool texture as a base and then adds more highlights and shading.

Option 3 is totally fine, because you're building on colours that exist in our palette. I am sure you see how much of a nuclear difference option 1 is from all of our 'fabric base' colours.

Thats precisely also what I pointed out when you worked on the mural for white harbor. You gotta try yo stay within the range of hues the game comes with to achieve instantly fitting textures.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Myrish Carpet block? Similar patterns to turkish rugs but detailed rugs/carpets are something which are missing from many wealthy houses

Something like this?

540_756_1_0_midq_s_20_3015346_main.jpg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I just want to point out that I'm still really hesitant to add new "general" blocks (general is defined as blocks where the context of use covers the entire map, which is the case even for the subset of "just rich houses"). I know I added some much appreciated new things in the recent update, but there's always a measured consideration of whether a block will actually outdate a lot of things, or whether it's a non-noticable but practical update (for instance, the full blocks with half door texture aren't actually cosmetic improvements themselves, but they allow for more possible designs for things), or a perfect substitute for existing blocks (i.e. many people will still prefer to use the old block, so you aren't able to make a hard division between "old" and "new" on the basis of that block alone). So please just keep that in mind when making new block suggestions.

Regarding white grapes: This is reasonably region/build specific, since iirc white grapes only make sense realistically/canonistically in the south near the Arbor.

Regarding the carpet: The concerns I mentioned above apply here. However, when I port that vanilla red "myrish" carpet (the one on activator rail) to a custom block, I could update the texture with the new one Cash provided, so that older builds are still consistent. I don't think that would mess anything up? I know the red carpet is used in tailors, where the change would still look fine, but have people used the activator-rail-carpet for anything else?

Also @CashBanks , you'll have to make the textures in the full 48-tile CTM format. Do you know how that works? I can get you a template when I get back home if you need.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Judging by how radiant that texture looks, I'm assuming that ,again cash, you're not using the hues/palette from the textures we already have in the game.

Also, a 1x1 mini rug that doesn't tile well doesn't seem all that useful to me. Tapestries that hung on walls were essentially woven paintings i.e. they showed scenes not abstract motives, and floor rugs/ carpets ought to be much much larger imo.

@Emoticone, I don't think anyone uses activator rail anymore and I don't think it is a good idea to entice people to using it again. It wasn't the most stable block in the first place, it hovered over the ground, it had no thickness and just the block by itself wouldn't allow people to place anything on top of it. You'd have to make a separate full block imo.

In general, I don't quite see the necessity of a fancy rug. Specifically if it is only ONE type of fancy rug (predominantly red).

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I don't think anyone uses activator rail anymore and I don't think it is a good idea to entice people to using it again.

Yeah, I wouldn't change the texture unless/until I port it to a custom block. People still use it on occasion though, I believe. I've seen it in a few relatively recent builds (e.g. within a year or two), mostly in tailor shops where you have a diagonal red carpet on top of wool blocks. So it should still be ported to a custom block along with the others, just to prevent mojang updates from fucking with it, regardless of whether it gets a new texture or not. That, or we do the riskier option and replace all uses of the block with air and make it a DO NOT USE.

Reactions: Elduwin

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Judging by how radiant that texture looks, I'm assuming that ,again cash, you're not using the hues/palette from the textures we already have in the game.

I did actually start with the red banner and the cream Faith banner palettes, but in any case I was just brainstorming and agree that it would probably create more problems than it would solve. I think if they were to work it would have to be like thatch, where there's a classic block texture, as well as a thin carpet option.

We'd also have to add them to every fancy house in white harbor/KL and Lannisport which would be a pain.

_Simbaa

Printmaker
So I was wondering about adding halfdoor arrow slits to make proper hoardings... Something like this:
(courtesy of CashBanks)

I think it would really make hoardings look better, right now we have to use trapdoors/shutters thus making huge holes in them...

Reactions: Wazgamer