Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
Renly_Baratheon_

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
Switzerland

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I like the expansive and complex worldbuilding and I also enjoy the way G.R.R. Martin writes.

What is your favorite build on our server?
It is difficult to chose. I really like White Harbor but for the sake of my splendid marriage at Highgarden I'll have to opt for that one.

Why do you want to join our server?
I've been lurking on the forums and on the server for a bit over a year now and it is about time I joined.

1. Front I.png2. Front II.png4. Side.png5. Back.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey Renly!

Nice to see you applying :D You made a good job with the app house, no comments on it. For your next challenges I'll point out locations for you and you'll have to make houses inspired by the style in that area/project. I would suggest looking at some different houses and then take note of which blocks are used and how to then come up with you own original version. After that you can post the screenshots here and I'll give you feedback.

For your first challenge, please make a house in the style of Hammerhall, there are some good examples at /warp hammertown. Please include a reasonably large yard as well.
Good luck!

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
Hello Ric
Sorry for the delay. I poorly planned my initial application right before my holidays. So I didn't have much time right away.
I tried to challenge myself with an angled build, which I'm not sure if I should have done that for my first build already but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out anyway. I hope you like it.

Attachments

• 01. Front.png
    01. Front.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 04. Yard.png
    04. Yard.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 03. Back.png
    03. Back.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 02. Side.png
    02. Side.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 05. Interior.png
    05. Interior.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 06. Interior.png
    06. Interior.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 07. Interior.png
    07. Interior.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 08. Interior.png
    08. Interior.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 09. Loft.png
    09. Loft.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 10. View from Loft.png
    10. View from Loft.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey Renly!

No worries, feel free to take the time you need :) Very nice that you tried a diagonal plot and you also made a very good job at it! Though there are some details I need to give feedback on, so to them:
  • On the exteriors and the yard I don't have much to comment on. I would only say two things: the yard is quite small, for a rural area is more fitting for the houses to have bigger ones (as you can check in the town); and the window in this image, instead of having two openings with one covered by the shutter, you could use a half door to make it open only in one direction, like this:
2021-08-22_22.34.21.png
2021-08-22_22.34.31.png
  • On the interiors, first thing I would say is about the fireplace. Having the cobble stair at the base in the way you did looks a little odd. You could try some alternative designs like these:
2021-08-22_20.31.16.png 2021-08-22_20.32.58.png
  • The Bench Kitchen Knives block could have it's side better covered. Instead of using a stair you could use a basket or a half door to cover the side. You can also have the Bench Kitchen Pans or a Drawer and then use a half door to cover the unused side.
  • As you already have the firewood stored outside, I think you could use the space with firewood in the interiors in another way. This is more of a suggestion though.
  • I think it's not very fitting to have crates up on lofts, as it would be hard to get them there through the ladder. Baskets should sufice for storage there.
  • The pewter plates are saved for high-class houses, for a low-class house you should use the wooden plate.
My feedback was mostly in minor stuff, you really did a good work! So for your next challenge I would like to see your take on a middle-class house in the style of the Highgarden town (/warp hgtown). Please also include a profession for the house, that you can choose yourself, and keep in mind the ground floor should be kept as the working area.
Good luck!

• Nice
Reactions: Renly_Baratheon_

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
Hey, finally got around to finish my submission. Had it almost done for a while now.
I couldn't get the profession sign to work but I need to update my stuff anyway because I currently also can't access the server so I think it might have something to do with that. So that's the reason whey there is that placeholder texture in the images. It's supposed to be the bakery sign.

The house turned out a bit more upper middle-class than really middle class. Hope that's still fine. Since they have two rather big baking ovens, I assumed they were more on the well-off side. There's room for the owners, their son or daughter with their own bedroom and a room for two apprentices.

The neighbouring houses are obviously not fully done and are just placeholder because unlike SOME PEOPLE (Azulejo) I didn't feel like building 5 houses for one submission o_O

Attachments

• 01 Exterior.png
    01 Exterior.png
  • 05 Side.png
    05 Side.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 04 Front.png
    04 Front.png
  • 03 Front.png
    03 Front.png
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 02 Exterior.png
    02 Exterior.png
  • 06 Yard.png
    06 Yard.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 07 Yard.png
    07 Yard.png
  • 10 Interior Bakery.png
    10 Interior Bakery.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 09 Roof & Chimney.png
    09 Roof & Chimney.png
    536 KB · Views: 9
  • 08 Side.png
    08 Side.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Haha
Reactions: Azulejo

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
More pics

Attachments

• 11 Interior Bakery.png
    11 Interior Bakery.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 12 Interior Bakery.png
    12 Interior Bakery.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 13 Interior Bakery.png
    13 Interior Bakery.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 14 Interior Bakery.png
    14 Interior Bakery.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 15 Formal Dining Room.png
    15 Formal Dining Room.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 16 Kitchen and All Purpose Room.png
    16 Kitchen and All Purpose Room.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 17 Kitchen and All Purpose Room.png
    17 Kitchen and All Purpose Room.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20 Single Bedroom.png
    20 Single Bedroom.png
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 19 Master Bedroom.png
    19 Master Bedroom.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 18 Master Bedroom.png
    18 Master Bedroom.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
And even more

Attachments

• 21 Double Bedroom.png
    21 Double Bedroom.png
    924.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 22 Double Bedroom through Window.png
    22 Double Bedroom through Window.png
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 23 Bakery through Window.png
    23 Bakery through Window.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Aww don't say that, you just did exactly what you were asked for, I went overboard and it wasn't necesary. Look at me now, I'm struggling just as much as any other probie on the server, and I make mistakes too. Some of the best builders started with worse applications than yours, I'm sure. Your builds look great in my humble opinion.​

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey Renly!

First of all, sorry for keeping you waiting. Secondly, and this goes for Azulejo too, you both are very good builders in the making, don't worry ;)

Now on the house, there's only a few things you didn't get right, you mostly did a good job! So, to the feedback:
  • You got the basic idea of the gradient really well, but the lightest block is not the right one, it looks too bright and don't contrast well with the Reach Light Stone. The more appropriate block in it's place would be the Light Stone block.
  • The profession sign also isn't quite right, for it to show up properly you have to place it and then place another above or bellow it, making a 1x2 format.
  • Here instead of using just the door block you could also replace the hopper block in front of it with a jungle wood planks block, so it looks like there's a chair beneath the table.
  • Here you left the drawers side showing up, as the Table block doesn't cover it. Remember to always leave only one side of those types of blocking appearing.
  • In the double bedroom I think using the rope ladder doesn't look very right, as there's nothing holding the ladder in that position. A wooden ladder instead would be more appropriate.
That's it! Not much feedback, you did a solid work. For your next challenge please make a middle-class house in the style of the Tor town (/warp tortown), including in it a profession of your choosing again. Make sure to give a good look at how the house style works, the blocks used and how they are used, as it's a very unique place in many senses. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Good luck!

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
Whee after 10 long years I return to this builder application.
Here's my attempt at a house in Albator. Hope my wife will be proud of me.

Attachments

• 01 Front I.png
    01 Front I.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 02 Front II.png
    02 Front II.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 03 Front III.png
    03 Front III.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 04 Back I.png
    04 Back I.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 05 Back II.png
    05 Back II.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 06 Roof I.png
    06 Roof I.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 07 Roof II.png
    07 Roof II.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 08 Work Area I.png
    08 Work Area I.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 09 Work Area II.png
    09 Work Area II.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 10 Work Area III.png
    10 Work Area III.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
more pictures

Attachments

• 11 Front Room .png
    11 Front Room .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 12 Living Room I.png
    12 Living Room I.png
  • 14 Living Room III.png
    14 Living Room III.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 13 Living Room II.png
    13 Living Room II.png
  • 15 Living Room IV.png
    15 Living Room IV.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 16 Loft I.png
    16 Loft I.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 17 Loft II.png
    17 Loft II.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 18 Bedroom II.png
    18 Bedroom II.png
  • 19 Bedroom III.png
    19 Bedroom III.png

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey Renly!

Apologies for the wait! It was a very long week to me. Regardless, very nice house, great work! A few points of feedback:
  • For the gradient, be careful to not let the Arbor Cobble touch the plaster. There should always be the Lannisport Light Brick between the two blocks. Also, I think you could improve your gradient if you made the plaster part of it bigger, leaving the other blocks closer to the top and bottom.
  • Some houses in the Tor are built so that the entrance to the second floor is through stairs outside the house, usually in the back. I feel like in this case it would've worked better, giving more space for the work area and its storage.
  • I wouldn't use torches inside normal houses, I think using candles or windows is more fitting.
  • For the stairs in the Front Room, I think it would be better to give them a better support. Be it upside down stairs beneath them or even wooden gates.
  • The fireplace in the second floor looks somewhat clunky, mostly because of its size. I imagine that shape is because of how the furnace in the fist floor was done. In cases like this it's better to reshape the one you did first so that it fits better with the rest of the house. You could also have the furnace the smith works with in a different place or, even better, outside, taking into account how much heat it would accumulate in the already hot region.
  • With thatch I think it works better to make a more rectangular-like shape with them, in a continous way. Of course half doors and wattle fences can make that hard and annoying to do, but I recomend you try, specially in cases where the half door isn't mandatory and can be removed (like at the end of beds).
  • Even with this house being middle-class, having too many lanterns is probably not the best representation. Some candles in the place of at least one of them if not both would fit better imo.
That should be it! I think you're almost there, I would like to see one more house to be sure. So please make a middle-class house in the style of Old Anchor (/warp oatown), including a reasonably-sized yard, like the ones you can find along the northern wall for example. Remember to also give a profession for the house too.
Good luck!

Reactions: Renly_Baratheon_

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
Here's my submission for an Old Anchor build. I made it a chandler.

Attachments

• 01 Front I.jpg
    01 Front I.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 13
  • 02 Front II.png
    02 Front II.png
    649.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 03 Front Room I.png
    03 Front Room I.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 04 Front Room II.png
    04 Front Room II.png