Wylla Builder Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wylla

Storyteller
I am 15.

I am from the United States.

I found it years ago, so I can't remember specifically where I found it. I downloaded the launcher and looked around a little. I remember that I first visited the Eyrie, and I was blown away. I didn't really know ASOIAF and I didn't know about the map, so I stopped looking around for a while. The launcher just sat on my desktop untouched until I rediscovered it earlier this year. By that time I knew how other servers were laid out, so I could explore more thoroughly.

Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and of course The Princess Bride

Game of Thrones

Season 1

My favorite character has to be Catelyn because of how strong and compassionate she is. She loves her children and will defend them no matter what. When Rob leads the northern army south, she immediately knows he needs help. Rob was weak and scared, but she showed him the way without forcing his hand. Even when the assassin was sent to kill Bran, she grabbed a valyrian steel knife by the blade to save her son. And I bet she would've finished the job too if Summer hadn't stolen the kill.

My runner up is Wylla, only because she has the same name as me (of course, with a y instead of an i because it's ASOIAF). I know that it's hopeless, but a part of me wants her to actually be Jon's mom just because it would make the best fan-fiction.

I love history and politics. Part of the reason I want to join the server is the edge of realism in your builds. I think I could help contribute to that. I have some experience with clay, including making a model of a battle on the Great Wall. I've also practiced building rooms and houses in different regional styles in single player.

As mentioned above, I love the realism the server builds on. I'm always looking to learn, and I already have touring your "professions test." Summer is starting, and because the lacrosse season is over I have too much down time. I thought putting the built up energy into making something would be a good outlet, because god knows I'm not doing anything else.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by thecoddfish on Jun 11, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SeapunkPeaches

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Needs a picture of your avatar in front of one of your builds iirc. Otherwise, great stuff!

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Wylla,

Thanks for your application - As stated above, you need to post a picture of your avatar in front of the requested house build. This is a great album of different builds but insufficient for a build application. We ask for a single house in the style of an existing project on our server, with pictures inside and out.

Please submit an album link to those screenshots and we'll be able to continue the application process.

Thanks! :)

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Will,

Thanks for this build. Very Nicely done! Just a couple of bits of feedback:

- Be careful with the stone palette to make sure there’s not too stark a contrast between two blocks, otherwise it just looks a little messy.

- Chimney is a bit of a weird shape - take a closer look at nearby houses and note the shape of the chimney stack. Also, don’t forget the palette of the chimney.

For your first challenge, please build a middle-class green-grocer's house in the style of /warp whiteharbour. When you're done, post the album link here.

Good luck!

Wylla

Storyteller
Hey there, I just wanted to make sure I didn't slip through the cracks. I know we all have lives to live, so I can definitely wait if it means my project will be critiqued. Thank you again!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Wylla,

No worries, this hasn't slipped through the cracks - We're just very inundated with applications at the moment and very busy so it may be a little longer a wait for feedback than usual.

This is a nice build, and here's a little feedback:

- Try not to use fences as windows.. It’s a little bit of an outdated practice these days. Use shutters on larger “arrow slits” or wooden lintels and sills.

- Make sure not to put too many heavy crates in the attic space without an easy way of getting them there. The attic space is great for storage, but make sure it’s necessary.

- With the rafters, the spacing is very tight and looks a little messy. Try alternating wooden slabs and stairs to make even 1 block spacing between each rafter. All the ceilings in Fairmarket are good examples.

- With the interior flooring on the ground floor, use a dirt/gravel mix rather than the outer paving blocks.. Most houses wouldn’t have had a fully tiled / paved floor.

- With the main ground-floor room if this is a ‘trading’ room, make sure the fireplace for cooking and a seating/living area are on the upper floor, otherwise it looks like a shop stuck into a living space which wouldn’t have been common in a city setting.

For your next challenge, please build a low/mid-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. These are the thatched cottages just east of the main town, with a little dock.

Good luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Wylla,

Sorry for the late reply! This is a lovely house.. nicely done! My only real bit of feedback is that the daub and wattle isnt symmetrical. Make sure that the blocks are arranged so that the diagonal wattle struts are symmetrical to give the impression of a well supported structure. Also, the two stair blocks onto of one another at the apex of the overhang is a little odd! I'd suggest using a wooden wall block with a hopper beneath.

Other than that, this was a great build and I'm happy to approve your application! Welcome to the team.

The next step is to set up your probation thread. Start one in the probation subform and be sure to read the probation rules. A Probation leader will be in touch shortly and will review every build you make over the next month.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.