Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
You should add pebble blocks to the overlay with grass.

Attachments

• 2020-01-16_17.30.37.png
    2020-01-16_17.30.37.png
    602.9 KB · Views: 29

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I’ll have to check out how the muddy snow affects snowy paths and constructed areas. Should look absolutely brilliant

Also what I was proposing with the Tower Karst was a few gullies and canyons inspired by the Cesky Raj in czechia. I know that isn’t necessarily tower karst but looks similar

Reactions: starcat98

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I think the red hues in the river rock terrainset should be decreased a bit, it doesn't blend very well in these mossyboulder schematics:

dc522799db.png

Reactions: thecoddfish

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I think that adapting the terrainsets to a hacky building practise (mixing terrainsets with man-made blocks) is the wrong approach. Instead, it would look so much better if we just got slabs, stairs and walls for the terrainsets finally (Have a clear separation between man-made blocks and natural blocks).

This would also give us the opportunity to make better caves and cliffs etc, but particularily boulders suffer from the absence of these blocks.

Besides, the red hues are invaluable to make this block vibe with the all the sets (except for north and stormlands).

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
The problem with that is that as a new feature it would outdate the already placed rocks in many builds, those rocks for examle are prevalent in nearly every single region sans Dorne and it would make more sense to adapt the block to existing building standards instead of having to overhaul and outdate every forest and rocky field

Its why when the discussion on paintings occurred a couple pages back I recommended that the subject matter of the paintings remain exactly the same because a great deal of builds choose specific paintings for specific reasons. Same for the new plants, they had to match up closely to the color scheme of the old plants (ergo blue flower turned into a similar hue of blue but different flower) in order not to mess with current builds.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
The problem with that is that as a new feature it would outdate the already placed rocks in many builds, those rocks for examle are prevalent in nearly every single region sans Dorne and it would make more sense to adapt the block to existing building standards instead of having to overhaul and outdate every forest and rocky field

My take on that is: compile a replace script, make it available to editors, and whenever the offending rocks are found replace them. If some are missed, its a minor inconvenience at best (if you consider some of the old builds we keep around) to let them stay whereever they are. I wager the 'visible' areas are a) small enough, and b) separate enough from man-made structures to make a gradual replacement feasible. The drawbacks of keeping the old ones around is minimal and the benefits of finally adding blocks that help with amorphous, natural shapes are great.

With the automatic schematic creation script it's not even a big deal to swiftly update all schematics.

Reactions: Iwan and Luk

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Its why when the discussion on paintings occurred a couple pages back I recommended that the subject matter of the paintings remain exactly the same because a great deal of builds choose specific paintings for specific reasons.

I see that as a different issue but agree that replacing the paintings with very different frescoes may jeopardize the reason for why some paintings were placed in a specific way. It is also different in the fact that paintings are tile entities and what is displayed is randomly drawn.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I think that adapting the terrainsets to a hacky building practise (mixing terrainsets with man-made blocks) is the wrong approach. Instead, it would look so much better if we just got slabs, stairs and walls for the terrainsets finally (Have a clear separation between man-made blocks and natural blocks).

This would also give us the opportunity to make better caves and cliffs etc, but particularily boulders suffer from the absence of these blocks.

Besides, the red hues are invaluable to make this block vibe with the all the sets (except for north and stormlands).

So, who volunteers to repaint the map?

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
My take on that is: compile a replace script, make it available to editors, and whenever the offending rocks are found replace them. If some are missed, its a minor inconvenience at best (if you consider some of the old builds we keep around) to let them stay whereever they are. I wager the 'visible' areas are a) small enough, and b) separate enough from man-made structures to make a gradual replacement feasible. The drawbacks of keeping the old ones around is minimal and the benefits of finally adding blocks that help with amorphous, natural shapes are great.

With the automatic schematic creation script it's not even a big deal to swiftly update all schematics.

I mean this is far more convoluted than just making the texture match the general color scheme of the current river rocks because this presumes that anyone is going to produce such a script let alone use it and that such a script wont go and mess up man-made structures made with the same blocks that I wouldn't call a minimal drawback especially and this is without going into the discussion of adding an entire set of terrain stairs/slabs/walls would further outdate the map.

• Haha
Reactions: Adorkabley

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I mean this is far more convoluted than just making the texture match the general color scheme of the current river rocks because this presumes that anyone is going to produce such a script let alone use it and that such a script wont go and mess up man-made structures made with the same blocks that I wouldn't call a minimal drawback especially and this is without going into the discussion of adding an entire set of terrain stairs/slabs/walls would further outdate the map.

It takes 15 mins to make a script like that tops, once the blocks are added, with a small selection around the rocks no man-made structures will be harmed and since we've decided for an iterative approach in building anyways, newer places may as well look their best ;)

As for matching the current river rocks, I don't want to do that because that is a terrible point of reference to begin with imo. It's all green and bland. If Emote insists that this needs to be changed, he's free to do it.

ItsPabs

Playwright
As for matching the current river rocks, I don't want to do that because that is a terrible point of reference to begin with imo. It's all green and bland. If Emote insists that this needs to be changed, he's free to do it.

Hey Tham and everyone, love the new terrain/texture stuff going on in this thread. Just to throw in my two cents, I do agree with the notion that the new textures for the terrain sets should match the old ones in style/color somewhat (change is good, but the right kind of change is what we're after!). I don't see why we have to go for a drastic change in style when we can slightly change the tone for the better. As an example, I'd probably have to redo a lot of Middlebury rock formations if the color/tone changed too drastically (yes I am trying to save my own hide). I'm happy to redo stuff, but I wouldn't want to redo it for just the pure sake of it, and we have good rock formations already that could fit perfectly with new textures.

Anyway, check out Middlebury if you have the time to see how I mix in the river rock into the landscape, as well as the stormlands terrain sets too. I thought I have a few cool areas that show off the old textures not looking too obnoxious. Lemme know ingame if you want me to show you too.

Going off the pic Emot shared above of the river rock terrain set in the mossyboulder schem, I do think the river terrain set should maybe stay a little greener and have more of its tones shy away from the red color shone above and more into mossy unsaturated colors. Maybe add a little unsaturated greenish white into the stone or make the red color a little more unsaturated so it seems lighter and less red colored.

Here's a reference image to what I'm suggesting in style: These rocks are from the Smoky Mountains where I live around North Carolina and admittedly I'm being biased, but this is how I kind of pictured the river rocks for awhile and I think they should stay somewhat similar in overall color and style.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
In any case I think there's scope for a middleground here with an updated set of terrain blocks that have got a little more variation in color/brightness (on par with the current ones) with the door left open for additional blocks when we know for sure if a map wide update to existing terrain is possible/practical.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I was also a maniac and tried out snow covered Spruce leaves - I've got no idea how to change the better folliage leaves so it turned out a little weird, though it doesn't seem terrible to have a bit of green still in there.

Thinking about it more though, I'm not sure how even with biomes we'd be able to update existing spruce leaves in snowy areas, since if we tried to make it an Extreme Hills biome - every spruce tree in the north would be covered with snow. Either way it looks like we'd have to be changing some manually.

Unless we did some kind of North wide ~80,78 //replace 18 [snowleaves block] thing (and then replace any spruce leaves near snowleaves and repeat 20 times to account for thick leaves), I'm not sure how we'd do it.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Just a bit of quick feedback (will give it a more thorough look later), snow rarely 'hangs' through pine leaves like that. Or at least I've never noticed that it would. Afaik it just piles up on top.

Did you just recolor the spruce leaves to white and what I'm seeing is in fact BetterLeaves now?

Isn't the far north all Taiga?

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
FWIW, "in the future" here means at some point when we're basically at full completion, and can afford to instantly outdate everything.

The lifting of the redo rule may be coupled by the introduction of a plethora of new blocks which we were previously unable to introduce due to aging concerns. Following this point, the server will operate under an "incremental updates" model: every time a redo is fully completed on the production server, that build is ported over to the development server in place of the existing one. Thus, the development server remains at 100% completion, but quality increases incrementally.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/threads/official-no-redo-rule.975/