VoxerBr Builder Application

VoxerBr

Storyteller

Brazil

Youtube

LOTR

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons, Winds of Winter

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Oberryn, bad ass as f

I like adding purpose to the builds, i think this make everything more interesting.

Building is a passion to me, and i'm addicted to asoiaf.

yes jon snow

Hey VoxerBr

Everything seems to be alright this time. ;)

First of all, 2 quick tips to make things easier on my end:
1. When taking pictures use /nv. This turns on night vision and removes all shades. Now I can hardly see any of the interiors.
2. Mention somewhere in the post what project style you based your house on. Dorne is a very big area and it's a bit hard to exactly pinpoint what you based it on.

Now the house. It's a solid attempt, good job. The plotting of the house nicely follows most of the styles of the older projects. I feel it would nicely fit in at hellholt. I'll give a list of things that you could have improved and could keep in mind when building your next challenge build.

• Dorne usually uses brighter palettes. From what I can make out you used dark vivite and monochrome sandstone. I would suggest to instead use mono, the bright vivite variant, lannisport small stone bricks and the different shades of terracotta blocks. Always try to look at the houses surrounding you and pay close attention to the materials they use in the gradient.
  • For the floors you could use hoppers. Sadly our sandstone blocks have a big tile textures on the top which makes the floors a bit unintresting and make the space feel small. This could be resolved by using hoppers or cobblestone textures that fit the colour palette (like old town or arbor). Outside you can use reach gravel, dornish dirt (not 100% sure of the name :oops:) and dornish/westerlands pebbles. They would also do their best to keep out the sand inside their house.
  • The interior spacing is pretty good. Not to clustered, but also not to empty. Maybe try to look around the server for more recent table designs. Crate tables are a thing of the past.
  • When making a shelter next to the house we use fence gates between the poles and try to use different colours for the support and the roof.
Good job overall! My main advise would be: try to explore our texturepack more. We have a lot of blocks that can be used in a lot of creative ways. Look around the server to be inspired and see how some builders combine these blocks to make interiors, floors...

For your next house, take a look at /warp gaunt and build something you think would be appropriate there. Include a garden aswell.

Good luck!

Reactions: VoxerBr

VoxerBr

Storyteller
Hey Andy, thanks for the reply.
Sorry I forgot to mention on this post about the build, I did on the wrong one o_O.

Actually I din't follow any style on the server, but I was inspired as you said correctly from Hellholt.

I just picked some blocks and started building from memory.Thinking now, you guys have been improving the style for years, I should have looked more hahaha.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to work on the next sap, (quarantine time not much to do xD).

Hey

Don't worry about taking your time. Hopefully you feel better already. This is already a great step up from your previous house, especially the exteriors. You'll see that the list of feedback got a bit longer, but most issues are pretty nitpicky in nature.

The exteriors would fit right in at Gaunt. My two critiques here would be that the small light stone bricks and river cobble should never touch. Always try to put at least one block of normal cobble in-between them. You'll find that most gradients have a block that divides the darker block and lighter block in the gradients. If you want to know more about gradients you could always check out /warp gradient (I think, if not just ask for the correct warp ingame ;)).

The garden is also pretty good. You use the space pretty well. However, I would encourage you to even put more vegetable patches in them. These gardens would be the primary food source for the inhabitants. Grass would occur mostly on the edges. When putting grass make sure that you also put plants on them. Otherwise, it's a bit boring and flat.

I feel the interior is the part you still struggle the most with. While they are by no means bad, they are not quite up to standards yet. I am one of the biggest supporters of a good support beam in the roof and you've probably seen quite a lot in Gaunt, but here I feel the house is too small to warrant one. It makes the house feel a bit cramped. Leaving the space open would open up the area and make it feel less claustrophobic. I love that you put in an elevated area to sleep on. I would remove the wattle and put the ladder in front, instead of having a hole in the floor for it. I would also make the ladder fully wooden, since rope would be a bit tricky to climb. I would switch the position of the table and kitchen so the table is in the centre. You don't need to divide the house into sections walled off by a high kitchen counter. Leave it open as much as possible, as if it's one big living room. I would also simplify the kitchen design a bit. We rarely use the hanging cabinets/high shelve designs anymore.

This was quite lengthy, but do not feel discouraged. You did great on this one. For you last challenge, make a middle class baker in the fairmarket style. The focus here will be the on the interiors. The middle class can afford more furniture and rooms, but don't go overboard with them. Give it your best shot!

Good luck!

-Andy

VoxerBr

Storyteller
Hey man , thanks a lot for the review, i wasn't quite happy with the interior on this one too, i struggle alot with interiors on diagonal buildings, quite hard task.

But i have a questions about the ladder thing, i wanted to put the ladder on the front as you said, but it wans't functional, (you cound't actually climb it to the upstairs) so i put it in the back, because its was the only place it worked. So should i always not care for functionaly and only care for the better look ?

Thanks for the time.

Hey man , thanks a lot for the review, i wasn't quite happy with the interior on this one too, i struggle alot with interiors on diagonal buildings, quite hard task.

But i have a questions about the ladder thing, i wanted to put the ladder on the front as you said, but it wans't functional, (you cound't actually climb it to the upstairs) so i put it in the back, because its was the only place it worked. So should i always not care for functionaly and only care for the better look ?

Thanks for the time.

If you remove the beam, it should have been possible. I usually try to find a balance between pretty and functional.

Hey
Nice to see you've improved again! I'll just give some short bullet points as feedback, since there is not that much to comment on this theme. The extras are good. The only thing I would change it is the stair supports under the roof on the side. They are quite bulky. The garden fits FM.

Ints:
  • Make sure when you store something overhead that, that it's still reachable for the ppl living in the house. If not, put a ladder somewhere.
  • I'd do the oven in a different texture so it stands out more. I would also make the top of the chimney even with two holes on the top. I don't see a reason they'd only do the bottom of the walls in D&W. either have the full wall D&W or fully wooden.
  • Vertical planks and half doors for beds.
  • Make chests 2 long.
  • Try to connect the thatch carpets to each other instead of was losing patches.
That's it! When you see a mod you can ask them to make you probe again. Don't forget to read the probie guide. It might be helpful, although you're pretty familiar with the probation process already. I'd encourage you to do the full month, but as said before you have the option to become a full builder after five houses, if the probationleader agrees. Nice work and welcome to the team again.