Vaulthobo Builder Application

Vaulthobo

Mummer

England

Through a google search for a minecraft based recreation of the ASOIAF universe, and it was the first thing that came up.

Mostly into Ancient Nonfiction, not necessarily fantasy

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Maester Cressen because he was a loyal and good natured servant to Stannis that I felt was dealt an especially poor hand by his ever ungrateful King. His attempted assassination of Melisandre was a stand out moment for me because it was an example of real courage in the face of, as he saw it, great evil. It was the truest act of loyalty I can think of in the books.

I have a deep passion for history that I would use both as inspiration but also to ensure the realism of what I am building - my builds have to be something that would work structurally and functionally if they were copy and pasted into real life.

I have always loved building ancient and medieval buildings in Minecraft, but have only ever had an audience to my creations of myself, occasionally my friends, and the fleeting attention afforded by a popular Reddit post. I truly want a skill that I have been nurturing for so long to have a real purpose; a goal to work towards that has real world value. I have always wanted a creative work of mine to be permanently imprinted on the world, and there is no better way in my eyes than to leverage my skill at building in Minecraft to make that a reality through Westeroscraft.

Apart from this I am very eager to fully immerse myself in the social aspect of collaborating on such a large project, and meeting like-minded builders and history nuts would be super cool!

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Edit: I may have forgotten to build the house xD, feel free to review the app and my other builds while I get onto remedying that.

Edit 2: Here is the house I built! https://imgur.com/a/xZAbk1A

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Vaulthobo,
Thanks for your application, it's great to see you have an interest in Game of Thrones, history and Minecraft so you'll be in good company here.

You've done a nice job with this house, I like the clean lines and you've shown some skill with the various pieces of stone work.
I've just got a few small notes should help with future builds.
- I like the daub patterns you used, these can be tricky to get right but these are appropriately symmetrical and frame the house well.
- I think the stone foundation you've added is a bit overly complicated. We go for a fairly low-fantasy approach with our builds, 90% of the houses are small low class peasant dwellings with minimal ornate architecture or elaborate stone work. In this case you would be fine to have a simple stone base like you see here.

- We also just generally try to avoid using the big full log blocks on houses these days since they look a bit clunky and stone bricks/stairs are rarely used as roofing material

- The stone roof for the basement is probably a bit overkill as well, and in any event would need pillars down the centre for support and hold it together.
- and rather than the flat planks, it's nice to use stairs/half slabs across the shortest span of the hoes to create the effect of rafters like this:

Once you get the hang of our building style you'll be making immersive and interesting houses in no time.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town.

Also take a look this page for some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Vaulthobo

Mummer
Hey Vaulthobo,
Thanks for your application, it's great to see you have an interest in Game of Thrones, history and Minecraft so you'll be in good company here.

You've done a nice job with this house, I like the clean lines and you've shown some skill with the various pieces of stone work.
I've just got a few small notes should help with future builds.
- I like the daub patterns you used, these can be tricky to get right but these are appropriately symmetrical and frame the house well.
- I think the stone foundation you've added is a bit overly complicated. We go for a fairly low-fantasy approach with our builds, 90% of the houses are small low class peasant dwellings with minimal ornate architecture or elaborate stone work. In this case you would be fine to have a simple stone base like you see here.
View attachment 2513

- We also just generally try to avoid using the big full log blocks on houses these days since they look a bit clunky and stone bricks/stairs are rarely used as roofing material
View attachment 2514

- The stone roof for the basement is probably a bit overkill as well, and in any event would need pillars down the centre for support and hold it together.
- and rather than the flat planks, it's nice to use stairs/half slabs across the shortest span of the hoes to create the effect of rafters like this:
View attachment 2515

Once you get the hang of our building style you'll be making immersive and interesting houses in no time.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town.

Also take a look this page for some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to review it! I noticed after my submission that it was a very common theme that log frames were being used when they weren't appropriate, so I'll make sure I don't do that on future builds. The rafters is also a great idea that I tried incorporating into my recent build, they're not super clear but they do add a bit of realism that wasn't present in my last offering. If you want to see my most recent build I'll link it here https://imgur.com/a/jQAyeYi

I'm pretty sure its in the right style, that being lowly farmers house, I had noticed some larger houses in the town but I stuck with this, hope it's what you were after. The size and scope of the houses left little room for being overly creative so I put my own touches where I could in the garden and interior. Can't wait for the next one!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Vaulthobo
Sorry for the delay with getting back to you, but you've done a great job with this house!
Well done with capturing the hawthorne style, as well as the choice of class appropriate blocks.
- The yard is messy, but in a plausible/authentic way so nice job with that.
- All the interior details are great - I'd just suggest adding a few half door blocks to that row of exposed thatch inside to show a bit more structural support.

- You could also probably add a little more variety to the storage blocks, some of those crates could be swapped out with barrels/double baskets/a chest.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the finished houses in the Highgarden town area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in Highgarden/the Reach (e.g. potter/candle maker/carpenter/wine merchant/blacksmith etc).

Good luck!

Vaulthobo

Mummer
Sorry for my delay as well, took some time on this one, so hopefully it's up to scratch. I decided to make a three story wine merchant's residence in the style of highgarden town, as suggested. I have attached the imgur link here: https://imgur.com/a/KGx8Tc3

Thanks for taking the time to review it and let me know what you think!

Reactions: DutchGuard

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Vault, no worries,
Well done with this house, it's another really nice one. Wine merchant was a good choice for Highgarden and you've done a good job of capturing the look and feel of the area.
I've only got two minor points for improvement:
- It's good to have the floorboard beams run across the shortest span of the house (that way they're shorter and stronger for structural support).
- Last point is an important one, we always try to make sure that houses all have roof rafters to hold up the exterior roof material. The rule of thumb is to try to make sure that the exterior roof block isn't visible from inside the house, you can do this using a mix of stairs and halfdoor blocks. This isn't always possible in places like next to beds but try to do it as much as you can. I can see you've used one of the houses from the town square for inspiration, it's a nice house but could probably be improved by raising the roof up by one more block to give you more space/flexibility with adding rafters/covering up the rooftiles.

Otherwise I like all the wine merchant details, so I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

We're also running a building competition at the moment which you can find at /warp ShipContest. You'll get a plot in Test where you can build whatever you want once you've finished probation, but you're welcome to mess around at /warp Playground.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if there's any way we can keep you busy.

Welcome aboard and I'll see you in Westeros!

Reactions: DutchGuard