Thevikingcorgi Builder Application

United States

I heard about it previously just in the Minecraft community. However, I did not investigate until
I saw a video about the project from a YouTuber called itoycat. I then downloaded the launcher and loved what I saw and it gave me some inspiration.

Lord of the Rings (this was what inspired me to start building in a medieval style), Skyrim/elderscrolls (this has impacted my build as well)

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

For this, I have to pick two characters. One is Jon Snow, it's hard not to like him and I love his story as he struggles between duty/ honor and love, and his overall journey from just being the bastard of Winterfell. I love his time with the wildings and the way it humanized the wildlings. His story (especially in the books) always makes me want to continue just for its mystery and intrigue. Next is the hound/Sandor Clegane, I have a real soft spot for him and enjoy his overall character. I started liking him as we see him at first kind of protecting Sansa, but he became a favorite when he leaves at the battle of the blackwater with one of my favorite lines in the show. I then really enjoyed his interaction with Arya both in the show and in the books and loved his overall redemption throughout the show. I am also curious to see if his story will be continued in the books.

Realism is something I go for. Specifically, when I am building a place I try to think why are they here and how I can show that. For example, if it is a mining town I make a mineshaft, put piles of ore around the town and maybe put in a cart or two loaded with ore to be shipped off. Or if I am building a city/castle I try to put the keep at the highest point. I also love to work on smaller villages/projects, there is a certain feel they have that I love. I am also good at making custom cliff faces. One other thing is that I love to put in little details of builds to help give a more lived-in look.

The building in Minecraft is my favorite in thing in the game and I have always wanted to join a build team of some form. I looked at other places to apply and none seemed a good fit, but when I found this project it seemed perfect. Its realistic and overall medieval style really seemed to be something that I could have fun doing and fits my build style very well. And with me being such a huge fan of ASOIAF it seemed the coolest thing to me. I have always dreamed of creating my own fantasy world in Minecraft and this seems to be an opportunity to fulfill it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HAghJAS

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Reactions: Wylla

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Viking,
Thanks for your application, I'm really impressed by the effort you've put into this town and farming hamlet, it's clear you've put some thought into the house and have explored our custom block set. and it's great that you're interested in putting your passion for fantasy and game of thrones to good work.

Since your build application is so extensive I'll just give you some general notes and tips which will help with future builds.

- I really like all the small details you've added around the houses, yards and streets like the fish racks, boats, flowers, wood chopping areas etc, they all add to the look and feel of the area and make it seem lived in.
- Overall the various stone/daub mix on the exteriors is good, but just note that we try to avoid using the big wooden logs too much in houses these days, it's seen as a little outdated as a style since it tends to look a little clunky and repetitive when used in big towns.
- The shape of the houses are all more in less in line with what we would normally aim for, just with the thatch roof houses, always try to make sure you add wooden stair/half door rafters beneath the thatch to cover it up from beneath, like in this example:
The general rule of thumb is to make sure you can't see the external roof block from inside the house.

- We always define houses by the economic class they belongs to, and a house's wealth will determine the kind of blocks used in it. Blocks like paper pinned to the wall, glass, Faith of the Seven portraits for example would all normally be reserved for high class houses.
- When using the cabinet/butcher/kitchen/bookshelves/drawers etc,make sure you use half doors or other blocks to cover up the sides of it so only one face is visible.

You're definitely off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at the suggestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. You should be able to apply all that advise directly to a Hawthorne house so take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback, it was very helpful and let me know what to look out for in my own builds. I had nothing to do today and was able to complete the build challenge. I have been looking around the server a bunch since my application was submitted, which has helped with ideas and let me get a better feel for the style of the server. With that here is my hawthornetown house:
https://imgur.com/gallery/whz1PZd

Reactions: Wylla and HalfCat

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Viking,
Thanks for completing that Hawthorne house, you've done a really great job with mimicking the Hawthorne style, I'm really struggling for notes to give!
Only tiny tiny idea I could suggest would be to add a little more variation to the vegetables in the yard. You could replace one or two of the carrots with a green fern/shrub, or break it and just put a mud block in it's place, just so the veggie patch isn't just rows of uninterrupted identical carrots.

But otherwise, really nice work. For your next challenge, would you kindly build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the WH styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area around /warp wolfsgate for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker).

Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Viking,
Thanks for finishing this blacksmith, you've clearly paid attention to detail with adapting the style guide, it's about 99% perfect!
- My one important note is that I can still see some drawers with more than one side exposed, like here for instance

- and for the tables, hoppers are ok but I generally prefer to use piston blocks.

For your tentatively final challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. As with WH the house should have a profession/business on their bottom level, so have a look around the highgarden town and have a think about what sort of professional would suit the area. Highgarden has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you.

Good luck!

hello
Thank you for the feedback once more, I made sure to cover all of the extra sides this time. For this, I made a highgarden bakery. The house is designed to be on a street next to other houses which is why the sides have little detail. I have not built many houses like this so it gave me a good challenge, and I think came out well. Here is the link: https://imgur.com/gallery/a0zK9dO

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Viking, once again you've done another great job, I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

Then you need to make a Probation Thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros