The Arbor: Status and informations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hi there,

You may have noticed me working on the Arbor for some time now. Even though the Arbor isn’t of the same importance than the usual server builds, I (and the mod team) would like to consider that, with its extent of lands, its multiple settlements and the importance of the powerful House Redwyne, it is for the best to make this project as collaborative as possible.
Similarly to Duskendale or Whiteharbor (our most recent server builds), the Arbor will welcome inputs, tests and participations of builders, from the development of the style to the building of the towns, castle and lands.The first step will be to re-terra the island, which will leave time for testing. Then, plotting and building will start. I will lead the overall project, and the help of sub-leaders for specific areas or buildings will be possible when plotting/building starts. The Arbor will follow the Oldtown dynamic, in terms of town plotting and management.
Many things are still at the stage of early development, including style, but I thought it would be best to open it now, to get things started officially and openly.

This thread is for updates on the status of the Arbor and to provide information about the server build. This post will be updated throughout the project.

The current status of the server build is: Terraforming & Application process.

Information:
Project document
Canon: on the Arbor and on the House Redwyne
Inspiration

For any discussion (feedback, suggestion, testing subjects), please go to this thread.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hello all,
Here is an update on the Arbor, with the beginning of the application process on some parts of the project.

Current status and recent evolutions
  • Terra ongoing
The past 6 months have focussed around the terra mostly, with a little bit of town planning (especially the layout of Vinetown). The rough terra of the mountain range should be done by the end of the year. Any help on the terra is welcome.
Once it’s done, I will be able to plan a more detailed map of the whole Arbor.

• Updated Arbor document
The Arbor document has been updated, mostly simplified and has received a few corrections according to the terra and the evolution regarding Vinetown’s layout.

• Updated inspiration folder
The inspiration folder has been greatly updated, with lots of new insps and pics. You will recognize some from the OT inspiration folder, as the styles in both server build will be rather close. Obviously, these are inspirations you can use for testing anything, from small poor houses to estates, insulaes to religious buildings.
The castle inspiration folder has been removed for now, as this is still the most uncertain area of the plans so far. Any inspiration or suggestion regarding this is welcome.

• New ship test area
To help build the Redwyne’s fleet (and fill in OT’s harbors), a new ship test area has been set up, at /warp shiptest (or /warp shipyard). The old designs still exist, North of the new area.
Don’t hesitate to paste new ship designs there, while keeping it clean.

All useful links can be found here (and have been updated in the original post):
Project document
Canon: on the Arbor and on the House Redwyne
Inspiration

Now, what can you do to take part in this server build?
The purpose of this update post is to open some early applications for some parts of the project. The terra and mapping of the lands isn’t complete yet, but I’m planning on using the end of the year for that, while receiving the first applications and starting the plotting of the towns.
The whole process will be supervised by myself, but sub-leaders will have autonomy in their work. The goal is to let people take part of the planning and post approving process. Don't worry, this will take some time, so I won't approve the first apps to come up. Also, I want to remind that all applications will not necessarily be approved, and that I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

For the smaller islands, the application must include all requirements. A special note on the Isle of Pigs: according to the Winds of Winter canon, a noble House vassal to the Redwynes rules the island. House Farrow has been chosen to depict this House, so you will have to include the small castle in your application.

Before applying, make sure to contact me for more information on the islands.
For each smaller islands (Isle of Pigs, Bastard’s Cradle, Mermaid’s Palace, Stonecrab Cay, Horseshoe Rock), you can apply to become sub-leader of the isle (1 to 2 places)

Next big step:
  • finishing the overall rough terra
  • starting plotting the towns
Depending on the applications that will come up in the next weeks
  • plan and publish a map of the island (forests, fields, minis, etc)
This will be published in a next update, hopefully coinciding with the opening of the town(s).

For any discussion (feedback, suggestion, testing subjects), please go to this thread.
I will open a thread for applications as well.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
RYAMSPORT UPDATE
With Ryamsport, the Arbor server build is officially open. The first part of the server build will cover the northern area of the island around Ryamsport. It contains the town itself, divided in two parts (walled-town on the peninsula and the harbor in the bay), and a couple of hamlets in the lands. This region gives the opportunity to test and apply to a good amount of minis (require an app on the forum thread) and various special builds (just need a test). Along the builds on land, shipbuilders will enjoy the dozen plots of ships, from galleys to carracks, dromon to caravel.

The house style is detailed on a flying platform above the gate of the town, /warp Ryamsport. Read carefully the guide, you will notice some differences from the usual house building. Ryamsport is also introducing a couple of insulae, which will become more common in Vinetown and obviously, Oldtown. The organisation of structures in residence, shops and workshops separates more clearly the different uses of a building.
All builders are welcome to participate in the server build. Don’t rush in too fast, take your time, and share plots with others. Don’t hesitate to co-op for larger or special builds, and to refer to Eld for any question!

List and description of the minis open:
  • small keep/manor for Redwyne vassal (inside the town) - Description is at the plot
  • 2 vineyard estates - Estates are larger residences, with gardens and courtyards, and the supportive buildings (servants, storage, stables…). These 2 estates are also vineyards, meaning they need the buildings associated with wine production (read the article on wine production in the Winter rookery to know more about it!)
  • limestone quarry
  • 2 hamlets (1 not open yet) - Purely rural, farmstead / farmers, humble, stone houses, usually short (only ground floor)
  • holdfast - Small holdfast, outpost of the town, no living quarters
  • whaling station - Large industrial facility, with all buildings necessary to process the whales’ meat and fat
  • dying facility - Dye all fabrics necessary for the ships, like banners and sails. Has a small building on the other side of the bridge to control the flow of water
  • sawmill (not open yet) - with a small logging camp. No living quarters. Wood is used for ships and barrels mostly.

And various special builds (require a test):
  • 2 septs
  • 1 septry (inside the town)
  • 2 insulae
  • cooper industrial plot
  • and other various special builds inside the town and harbor
Finally, a good number of ships need to be built, whether they are merchant or warships. You’ll find more than a dozen plots, which will all require a test. Time for you to show us your ship-building skills! Check the ships at /warp shiptest.

For applications: here
For feedback & discussion : here

Reminder: there is no hurry, I won't approve the first apps to come up (usually, I’ll give at least 1 week before approving an app). Also, I want to remind that all applications will not necessarily be approved, and that I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
RYAMSPORT UPDATE N°2
It's taken me some time, sorry for not posting it earlier, but as you may know, Ryamsport harbor is now open for building!
The style guide is floating above, please make sure to read all signs!
You can all get there by /warp RPharbor (or /warp Ryamsport, which is located at the entrance of the walled part of the town).

Along with the 2nd portion of Ryamsport, multiple ships plots and minis are open as well.
Here's the list of minis or special builds:
  • 2 vineyard estates - Estates are larger residences, with gardens and courtyards, and the supportive buildings (servants, storage, stables…). These 2 estates are also vineyards, meaning they need the buildings associated with wine production (read the article on wine production in the Winter rookery to know more about it!)
  • 2 hamlets - Purely rural, farmstead / farmers, humble, stone houses, usually short (only ground floor)
  • dying facility - Dye all fabrics necessary for the ships, like banners and sails. Has a small building on the other side of the bridge to control the flow of water

Reminder: all applications will not necessarily be approved, and I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
RYAMSPORT UPDATE N°3
News from Ryamsport!
Town is finished, and the area around is progressing on smoothly and nicely.
A small hamlet led by Homie has just been completed North-West of the walled town, and more than half of the ships' plots have been taken up and completed! Special shout out to all the ship builders for their talent and participation in this special task!

As the central part of that section of the Arbor is mostly completed, 2 new minis are opening East of the bay.
Here's the list of the available minis:
  • 1 vineyard estates - Located North of Ryamsport, it is also a vineyard, meaning they need the buildings associated with wine production (read the article on wine production in the Winter rookery to know more about it!)
  • 1 hamlet - Along the road to Vinetown, almost not a hamlet but rather a gathering of a few houses along the road, surrounded by fields and pastures
  • Lumber watermill - Located just outside Ryamsport, on the other side of the bridge, this lumber watermill supplies the northern Arbor with wood from the mountains foothills.

Reminder: all applications will not necessarily be approved, and I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
ARBOR UPDATE N°1
Along with news from Ryamsport, some updates from the Arbor archipelago:
- the Isle of Pigs is the 1st canon island to be taken up, and the little settlement is reaching completion. The sub-project is led by Scubooty.
- after discussions with Johan, due to lack of time, Stonecrab Cay is reopening for application.
- as we are going to expand a bit further the world border, Horseshoe Rock will be able to be set a bit further from the Arbor than the other islands. So feel free to apply!
- there are several ideas and tests around for Bastard's Cradle, so let me know if you're interested.
- there's slow but regular progress on the Mermaid's Palace island test from Lemonbear.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
VINETOWN UPDATE N°1
As Ryamsport moves smoothly towards completion, it is time to turn our eyes to the jewel of the Arbor: Vinetown, seat of the Redwynes and settlement of Gilbert’s of the Vine, founder of the House and one of the many sons of Garth Greenhand.

So here is it, the long awaited Vinetown document!
It is meant to present the general infrastructures, main points of interest and the districts of the town, along with some inspiration pics.
Please take the time to read it all, and don’t hesitate to share feedback on the specific thread.
Along with the document, work from the community can finally start on Vinetown.

The infrastructure teams are opening:
  • terra & editing team
  • walls & defenses
  • sewer & freshwater distribution
  • catacombs & crypts
I will supervise the teams, but you are all more than welcome to apply to join the teams. Each will be in charge of its own infrastructure as presented in the document. Except for the terra & editing team, WE skills are not required but are still a good thing to have.

On the side of server builds:
  • the Arsenal is plotted, and each part will be open to application separately as a special build, but you can already apply to join the Arsenal supervision team,
  • the Admiralty is plotted, and each part will be open to application separately as a special build, but you can already apply to join the Admiralty supervision team,
  • the Redwyne castle still needs to be plotted and is not open yet.
Arsenal & Admiralty teams require some project management skills, and will require having led at least one project to join the team.

Finally, regarding the districts:
None of them is open at the moment, as the Vinetown style has yet to be defined and settled. You are all invited to take part in this by testing (on your plot or in the Arbor testing area). Tests of low / mid class houses are particularly waited and appreciated.
This will go nowhere without the active participation of the community in the testing!

All applications for teams can be posted on the new Vinetown thread.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Arbor update N°2
Small update for the Arbor, starting with Ryamsport:
  • chewy and finn’s app for the northern small vineyard has been approved and pasted. Just need to go through some minor details,
  • homie’s hamlet is almost finished, we added a new plot after the suggestion of some builders who left a melon there (see, melons are good for leaving feedback ;) ),
  • there are still 2 minis open near Ryamsport: a hamlet and a sawmill, to the East of the town,
  • and a few ship plots, especially warships, in Ryamsport bay.

Good progress has been made by lemonbear & IMajic at Mermaid’s Palace and by Scubooty at the Isle of Pigs, both of which are looking really nice, so great work to you all!

Several people are testing for Bastard’s Cradle. Don’t hesitate to collaborate or co-op for a good app. And 2 more islands are also available: Stonecrab cay (which is reopened after Johan’s leave) and Horseshoe Rock (that is yet to place, so feel free to propose a location as well).

In parallel, CashBanks has been helping on the terra of the northern tip of the island.

That’s all for the general Arbor, more to come on Vinetown’s side!

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Vinetown update N°2
You have probably seen a lot of work done on Vinetown recently.
We’ve tried to make some progress on the general infrastructures:
  • the walls and defenses, thanks to Homiesucc 's help, are almost finished. The final part is the gates, which are all open to test and apply. We have also changed the harbor palette, going for one using Oldtown blocks, to look older and more salty, washed by the ocean. This update of palette will continue on the parts closest to the sea.
  • the fresh water system is almost all plotted (and at the right height!). In parallel to it will be added the sewer network. RavishMeRed is covering the gradienting of those.
  • the catacombs still need to be taken care of, jmcmarq will help on that matter.

And a couple iconic builds have finally been pasted.
Congrats to ChewyMan125 for his incredible Sept of the Vine & septry!

I am opening to app both of the bath houses, to be able to connect them with the freshwater network.

To clarify as well, the admiralty and arsenal are both open to application:
  • arsenal: it is currently divided in 15 areas/builds, which can all be applied separately
  • admiralty: you can apply for parts or all of it, the different spaces and rooms are indicated inside the build plot

Reminder: there is no hurry, I won't approve the first apps to come up (usually, I’ll give at least 1 week before approving an app). Also, I want to remind that all applications will not necessarily be approved, and that I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

Finally, the next update should come soon with the opening of the first district. Make sure to go through the Vinetown document to know more about everything going on there, and if you want to apply for a district in the future.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Vinetown update N°2 bis
Following the last update for Vinetown: here’s the opening of the first Vinetown district!

Go to /warp VT1 or /warp Vinetown to check the styleguide and plotting system, make sure to read ALL the signs, and be free to start building at Vinetown! (Buildings that don't respect the rules written on the signs will potentially get removed without any further warning!)

Small note for this first district:
This will still be a rather experimental stage, so changes might occur in styles and palettes in the future, affecting the builds in this district. While I will try to respect and protect as much as possible your builds, they might get updated to fit the changes.

With this district open, the Smith Quarter district is also now open for testing and applying. /warp VT11
To apply for any district, you have to plot it (plots, style/palette, profession, etc), starting with the special builds indicated on the Vinetown document and on the signs in the district. Please, copy the Vinetown style guide for your own district, changing the house tests and build materials only.

Status
Not open for further replies.