The Arbor: Status and informations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elduwin

Sorcerer
Hi there,

You may have noticed me working on the Arbor for some time now. Even though the Arbor isn’t of the same importance than the usual server builds, I (and the mod team) would like to consider that, with its extent of lands, its multiple settlements and the importance of the powerful House Redwyne, it is for the best to make this project as collaborative as possible.
Similarly to Duskendale or Whiteharbor (our most recent server builds), the Arbor will welcome inputs, tests and participations of builders, from the development of the style to the building of the towns, castle and lands.The first step will be to re-terra the island, which will leave time for testing. Then, plotting and building will start. I will lead the overall project, and the help of sub-leaders for specific areas or buildings will be possible when plotting/building starts. The Arbor will follow the Oldtown dynamic, in terms of town plotting and management.
Many things are still at the stage of early development, including style, but I thought it would be best to open it now, to get things started officially and openly.

This thread is for updates on the status of the Arbor and to provide information about the server build. This post will be updated throughout the project.

The current status of the server build is: Terraforming & Application process.

Information:
Project document
Canon: on the Arbor and on the House Redwyne
Inspiration

For any discussion (feedback, suggestion, testing subjects), please go to this thread.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Sorcerer
Hello all,
Here is an update on the Arbor, with the beginning of the application process on some parts of the project.

Current status and recent evolutions
  • Terra ongoing
The past 6 months have focussed around the terra mostly, with a little bit of town planning (especially the layout of Vinetown). The rough terra of the mountain range should be done by the end of the year. Any help on the terra is welcome.
Once it’s done, I will be able to plan a more detailed map of the whole Arbor.

• Updated Arbor document
The Arbor document has been updated, mostly simplified and has received a few corrections according to the terra and the evolution regarding Vinetown’s layout.

• Updated inspiration folder
The inspiration folder has been greatly updated, with lots of new insps and pics. You will recognize some from the OT inspiration folder, as the styles in both server build will be rather close. Obviously, these are inspirations you can use for testing anything, from small poor houses to estates, insulaes to religious buildings.
The castle inspiration folder has been removed for now, as this is still the most uncertain area of the plans so far. Any inspiration or suggestion regarding this is welcome.

• New ship test area
To help build the Redwyne’s fleet (and fill in OT’s harbors), a new ship test area has been set up, at /warp shiptest (or /warp shipyard). The old designs still exist, North of the new area.
Don’t hesitate to paste new ship designs there, while keeping it clean.

All useful links can be found here (and have been updated in the original post):
Project document
Canon: on the Arbor and on the House Redwyne
Inspiration

Now, what can you do to take part in this server build?
The purpose of this update post is to open some early applications for some parts of the project. The terra and mapping of the lands isn’t complete yet, but I’m planning on using the end of the year for that, while receiving the first applications and starting the plotting of the towns.
The whole process will be supervised by myself, but sub-leaders will have autonomy in their work. The goal is to let people take part of the planning and post approving process. Don't worry, this will take some time, so I won't approve the first apps to come up. Also, I want to remind that all applications will not necessarily be approved, and that I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

For the smaller islands, the application must include all requirements. A special note on the Isle of Pigs: according to the Winds of Winter canon, a noble House vassal to the Redwynes rules the island. House Farrow has been chosen to depict this House, so you will have to include the small castle in your application.

Before applying, make sure to contact me for more information on the islands.
For each smaller islands (Isle of Pigs, Bastard’s Cradle, Mermaid’s Palace, Stonecrab Cay, Horseshoe Rock), you can apply to become sub-leader of the isle (1 to 2 places)

Next big step:
  • finishing the overall rough terra
  • starting plotting the towns
Depending on the applications that will come up in the next weeks
  • plan and publish a map of the island (forests, fields, minis, etc)
This will be published in a next update, hopefully coinciding with the opening of the town(s).

For any discussion (feedback, suggestion, testing subjects), please go to this thread.
I will open a thread for applications as well.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Sorcerer
RYAMSPORT UPDATE
With Ryamsport, the Arbor server build is officially open. The first part of the server build will cover the northern area of the island around Ryamsport. It contains the town itself, divided in two parts (walled-town on the peninsula and the harbor in the bay), and a couple of hamlets in the lands. This region gives the opportunity to test and apply to a good amount of minis (require an app on the forum thread) and various special builds (just need a test). Along the builds on land, shipbuilders will enjoy the dozen plots of ships, from galleys to carracks, dromon to caravel.

The house style is detailed on a flying platform above the gate of the town, /warp Ryamsport. Read carefully the guide, you will notice some differences from the usual house building. Ryamsport is also introducing a couple of insulae, which will become more common in Vinetown and obviously, Oldtown. The organisation of structures in residence, shops and workshops separates more clearly the different uses of a building.
All builders are welcome to participate in the server build. Don’t rush in too fast, take your time, and share plots with others. Don’t hesitate to co-op for larger or special builds, and to refer to Eld for any question!

List and description of the minis open:
  • small keep/manor for Redwyne vassal (inside the town) - Description is at the plot
  • 2 vineyard estates - Estates are larger residences, with gardens and courtyards, and the supportive buildings (servants, storage, stables…). These 2 estates are also vineyards, meaning they need the buildings associated with wine production (read the article on wine production in the Winter rookery to know more about it!)
  • limestone quarry
  • 2 hamlets (1 not open yet) - Purely rural, farmstead / farmers, humble, stone houses, usually short (only ground floor)
  • holdfast - Small holdfast, outpost of the town, no living quarters
  • whaling station - Large industrial facility, with all buildings necessary to process the whales’ meat and fat
  • dying facility - Dye all fabrics necessary for the ships, like banners and sails. Has a small building on the other side of the bridge to control the flow of water
  • sawmill (not open yet) - with a small logging camp. No living quarters. Wood is used for ships and barrels mostly.

And various special builds (require a test):
  • 2 septs
  • 1 septry (inside the town)
  • 2 insulae
  • cooper industrial plot
  • and other various special builds inside the town and harbor
Finally, a good number of ships need to be built, whether they are merchant or warships. You’ll find more than a dozen plots, which will all require a test. Time for you to show us your ship-building skills! Check the ships at /warp shiptest.

For applications: here
For feedback & discussion : here

Reminder: there is no hurry, I won't approve the first apps to come up (usually, I’ll give at least 1 week before approving an app). Also, I want to remind that all applications will not necessarily be approved, and that I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Sorcerer
RYAMSPORT UPDATE N°2
It's taken me some time, sorry for not posting it earlier, but as you may know, Ryamsport harbor is now open for building!
The style guide is floating above, please make sure to read all signs!
You can all get there by /warp RPharbor (or /warp Ryamsport, which is located at the entrance of the walled part of the town).

Along with the 2nd portion of Ryamsport, multiple ships plots and minis are open as well.
Here's the list of minis or special builds:
  • 2 vineyard estates - Estates are larger residences, with gardens and courtyards, and the supportive buildings (servants, storage, stables…). These 2 estates are also vineyards, meaning they need the buildings associated with wine production (read the article on wine production in the Winter rookery to know more about it!)
  • 2 hamlets - Purely rural, farmstead / farmers, humble, stone houses, usually short (only ground floor)
  • dying facility - Dye all fabrics necessary for the ships, like banners and sails. Has a small building on the other side of the bridge to control the flow of water
For applications: here
For feedback & discussion : here

Reminder: all applications will not necessarily be approved, and I reserve the right to reject an app if it doesn't meet the requirements and needs for the project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.