strijdheld

Storyteller
What is your Minecraft username?
Strijdheld

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
The Netherlands

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The worldbuilding in ASoIaF is great, The world is very fleshed out and feels quite realistic. Furthermore i love the politics of a medieval setting.

What is your favorite build on our server?
There it not really one specific build, but i love seeing the rolling hills with fields and the small hamlets in the reach, they give of a very calm and inviting atmosphere

Why do you want to join our server?
I have been looking at the builds in this server for quite a while now, and i feel that i really wanna contribute something to this amazing server.

Tell us about your build.
My build is based on the style of central reach (high garden), It is home to a small family and part of a small hamlet. The family is relatively poor, but they are as self-sufficient as they can be.

2021-02-02_18.42.00.png2021-02-02_18.42.09.png2021-02-02_18.42.25.png2021-02-02_18.42.27.png2021-02-02_18.42.36.png2021-02-02_18.42.49.png2021-02-02_18.42.55.png2021-02-02_18.43.04.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hi Strijdheld,

thanks for applying and for your patience.

I can tell you spent your time looking around the server already.
The house looks very good already!

Only two things that would need tweaking:
- The "forest path" gravel block you used on the fireplace.
It's only supposed to be used for paths. We try to limit the use of special blocks like that, so to not outdate current builds on the server.
- The bench should only have one side exposed. Better to cover the one side with a half door.

Other than that, good job!

For your first challenge build i would like to see a townhouse in the style of /warp duskendale.
Take your time to learn the style, and have fun!

Good luck.

Reactions: strijdheld

strijdheld

Storyteller
Here I have my application for the Duskendale style townhouse, I decided to build a coth merchants house with a small yard.

I did have one question that came up while researching the style, Why are all the storehouses near the harbor all made out of stone? while the walls of the townhouses are mostly made out of daub. This seems quite counter intuitive to me because I would guess that stone would be quite a lot more expensive then daub.

Last edited:

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey, sorry again for letting you hang here so long!

So, heres my feedback:
  • The roof rafters would need horizontal wooden supports to support the shingles too. You just did the vertical rafters.
  • When using a bench block or cabinet etc., make sure that only one side is visible. You have a bench there thats open from two corners. That could easily be covered up with an oak halfdoor.
  • Your stone gradient has a weird color mix in it, i think you use the vivid sandstone in there, but it should be the dark mono sandstone, which blends well with the stormlands palette.
Other than that, you build a good house. Good job!

For your next challenge i'd like you to build a townhouse as seen in /warp tortown

Reactions: strijdheld

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hi strijdheld,

very nice house!
I pretty much don't see any mistakes worth mentioning. After seeing all the houses you built, i feel confident you will make for an excellent builder :)

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings. You can also toggle open plot markers on the dynmap mc.westeroscraft.com

A probation leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probation leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.

You're approved. Welcome to the team!