spinachpizza Builder Application

spinachpizza

Storyteller

England

I watched a youtube video about it

The Lord of the rings, Harry Potter

All of the above

Porbably Arya Stark because she is a really interesting character and she has a really unique journey. I think her story is interesting because of her training with the faceless men which makes her story unique to the others and creates a mysterious character.

I like to build on singleplayer quite a lot so i feel like i am quite a good builder. I am studying history at school which doesn't really affect this build much as the focus isn't really on that time period but i feel like it could still be useful. I like to watch fantasy shows so i feel like i will have a good knowledge of the type of buildings needed to be built.

I love Game of Thrones and i would love to be able to build on a server where my creations have a purpose and are put in a world i can explore. Building and working on a server where you are creating Westeros would be amazing and i already love exploring the world.

YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on May 16, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Can't see the images. It has the 'Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn' screen appearing, at least on my screen

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Spinach,
Thanks for your application and for sorting out those Imgur bugs, glad to see you're a fan of GoT and the fantasy genre, you've come to the right place!

The house and keep you've built are a great start and their overall shape and layout certainly matches our server.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.
- Variety of blocks is really important and goes a long way to help buildings look "natural". Take a look at this page on our wiki which explains how to best add some variation to the blocks and create a palette to work with.
https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/
In the case of your first house, you could mix up the white harbor cobble a bit like this white harbor building here:
UXAKZiA.png

- Make sure to add rafters beneath the exterior roof thatch/tiles. The general idea is that you shouldn't be able to see the exterior roof from inside the house, so you use stairs/half doors to cover them up like this:
U0citpj.png

- Low/middle class houses will also usually have a dirt/gravel ground floor.

- I think the chimney looks a little too large and modern, a typical chimney would often just use one of our furnace blocks and then the rest would made of the same stone blocks as the rest of the house, like this for example:
h0wSk5c.png

- wood/leather slabs make for better chairs than wooden stairs, something like this:
muiIWvA.png

-The yard could also use a bit of a tidy up, here's an example of a typical low class farmer's yard, you'll see plenty of other examples around other large settlements to take inspiration from.
8XiVJPq.png

You're definitely off to a good start, take a look at the other sugestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Spinach,
That's very nice looking house, you've done will with the mix of blocks and the layout and the daub looks nice and symmetrical. I might only suggest adding a few more points of interest to the kitchen area, maybe a basket/water barrel, some more thatch or a shelf on the wall so it doesn't look so empty.

Other than that, this is a great build! Well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Generally all houses will have a profession/business on their bottom level e.g. carpenter/baker/blacksmith. Take a look at /warp professions if you're looking for ideas.

Let me know if you have any questions.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Looking good Spinach, good job with the overall layout, nice daub patterns, and block gradient. Only a couple of small points:

Maybe a few too many crates up in this bedroom, could swap them for a chest/a wardrobe/baskets. A baker might not be literate, I guess since it's Highgarden they may be more cultured, but worth keeping in mind to be careful with the use of the paper blocks.
L68NKhT.png

This middle floor looks a little sparse, I suspect it's a result of using the half doors to create the bedroom walls, they tend to create gaps that are tricky to fill.
un3MoCo.png

You can use stairs to crate shelves like this to fill the gap, or just have a play with the layout of the half doors to create a gap you can place blocks on.
peOMMgQ.png

You should also still be able to use stairs to create rafters on the top floor as well instead of the regular plank blocks, like this:
FniQDKp.png

You can also use dorne dusty dirt slabs/muddy snow slabs to represent dough/different kinds of bread. Cake blocks can be used too.

Next up, have a go at a low/middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl - as with HG it should have a profession on the ground floor, you can have a look around the districts outside the WH walls for ideas.

Cheers

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Spinach,
Nice work. The layout and block choice are looking good, though just avoid using glass cabinets in low/middle class houses, the regular wooden cabinets would be fine.

You can also use the Butcher Bench blocks, and it probably wouldn't hurt to fill up the ground floor with more butcher activities, like some more meat on display, blood, baskets etc. A butcher might have a pen to keep a few animals in the yard too.

But overall I think you're all set! I'm confident you have the skills, attitude and attention to detail to make a great contribution to the server. Welcome aboard!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted once you've settled in.

See you in Westeros!