Approved Redo Appeal: The Ring (house Roxton)

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey all,

I’d like to make an appeal to redo the Ring (seat of house Roxton). As spawn of the map the castle took quite the beating over the years and sadly in its current state it is quite literally a hole in the map.
In addition to the damage to the keep, the project has seen partial redo's over the years in the form of ceded area to other (newer) projects as well as the recent mini-project of the Field of Fire, which was (mostly) finished last year and is situated almost entirely within the lands of house Roxton on the server.
By opening the project to be redone the remaining lands of house Roxton could be included and incorperated in the new styles, layouts and terraforming of the surrounding projects.

There is no redo clause this would technically fall under, but I think we can all agree the Ring needs to be rebuilt or otherwise restored and I think an exception to the no-redo clause would be appropriate in this specific case.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
As a side note, I'd like to raise the point of the poor placement of house Roxton.

House Roxton partakes in the Battle of the Honeywine during the Dance of the Dragons on the side of the Greens.
For some context, the battle takes place after house Hightower has a hard time marching from Oldtown to Kingslanding to join up with the rest of the Greens, since large parts of the Reach declare for the Blacks (including their vassals house Costayne and Beesbury and possibly more) which they did not expect.
They face two hosts during the battle, one consisting of houses Tarly, Costayne and Beesbury (roughly houses to the east of Oldtown) and the other one headed by houses Rowan and Caswell and many others from the northern Reach.

In order to have been present at this battle they would have to have marched all the way to Oldtown ahead of the Rowan host through the primarily Black-declared Reach to join up with an army that was headed to a stone's throw away from their current lands, while leaving those lands vulnerable to attacks.
This battle makes me think the lands of house Roxton should be located south of the Mander, north of Oldtown and west of the Honeywine, since they would otherwise be pinned down by one of the opposing armies or fall under the direct unfluence of the Hightowers (which is not mentioned).
In addition, their sigil (a blue field with golden chains interlocked) makes the argument to be along the mouth of the Mander plausible. The blue for water, the golden chains for the protective boom of an affluent town at the mouth of the Mander (which would need to be protected against Ironborn), or the chains for goldsmithing. The grant of land to the Andal warlord that is the founder of house Roxton would also be in line of that of house de Normandy in real life France, being tasked with defending the important river from raiding savages from overseas.

For this reason I'd like to propose to swap the names with that of the ongoing project of Norcross. There is no canon for house Norcross to be tied to it's current location, other than a Norcross knight in service of house Florent. Not much would change for either projects; the spawn castle would still need an update, and the project at the mouth of the Mander still needs to be build.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Main potential issue here is the name of the seat of House Roxton: the Ring. Margaery_Tyrell do you intend to change previously-Norcross castle layout to match the "ring" description? I'm not sure it would fit on top of the cliff.

Switching with Norcross could also work with that name: Nor- as it would be located in the northern most part of the Reach, and -cross could be associated with the crossing of the Blackwater to the Riverlands, as the lands border the river.

Bovine

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Eugh I forgot that castle name, I could workshop something like the original Andal structure being still extant as a ring-like layout, and over time more conventional Reach architecture added over time with the oldest structure being The Ring
If this is still under consideration, perhaps "the Ring" could refer to a circular curtain wall? or an old raised earthwork around the castle from the first-men?

I think that swapping Norcross and Roxton is a great idea. The name Norcross could mean northern-crossing, and the ring is currently near a fork of the Blackwater, so perhaps their name could be taken for a literal crossing over the river. Alternatively, it could be that Norcross castle sits at a crossroad of the Gold road and some Reach road. just something to consider for the future :)

Reactions: Finn01