Proposal to Update /warp jobs

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hello mods, as the title suggests, I'd like to update /warp jobs! This is something otty gave me the idea for a few months back and I think an updated job guide would benefit the probies and newer builders. I originally considered breaking down the area for /warp jobs into low-class professions, middle and high. With higher class professions being more likely to be found in city builds and low class for hamlets and villages. But I'm not sure if there's enough space at the current /warp jobs. To that end, I propose the new jobs being in a new place with more space (wow that rhymed). Here's a list of professions and where they'd fit in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.25.57.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.25.57.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: RavishMeRed and Ric

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Linking this related thread:

IMO there should be entirely different resources for rural areas and towns/cities; low-class professions in the context of a developed town with a class system should be considered categorically different from the professions that are commonplace or necessary in a rural manor (though there may be some overlap).

Last edited:

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for the thread emot! I'll probably use that list as a reference for the new /warp jobs. That one has a lot more jobs but I think once completed it will be helpful for all builders. I propose having plots for the jobs and have people test for them like special plots. That way quality work is put forward. Plus it allows community input and engagement so it's not just me blundering along.

Edit: I think classing it in terms of urban-ness is what I meant, but said classes instead of rurality. Also, what would this project count as? Immersion or would it be something different?

Last edited:

Mayflumes

Poet
I don't think this is a project project, just a server initiative to make a guide. If I could ask one thing its that you not nuke the pre-existing /warp jobs when you begin work on this, don't replace it until its complete. It's also worth to keep in mind theres more than one way of showing a profession, I would prefer if instead of the guide being curated and the "best" interpretation being chosen multiple interpretations are allowed.

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
That's a good idea, to have multiple interpretations of the same profession. In regards to categorizing the project I meant how many mod approvals are required to start or if it'll be a mod vote and majority wins sort of sich.

Reactions: SseriousBusiness

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
You can start working on whatever you want on your test plot. Whether or not it replaces our current system at the /warp jobs location is what will require a decision.

Reactions: DutchGuard

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Also, keep in mind: the simpler the better! This kind of guide is hard to keep updated, as we can see in most of our guides in test world, so don't make it too complicated.

And another complementary information can be wether the profession is fine to be found in a small workshop, or does it need a larger, more "industrial" area: difference between butcher/baker/grocer, and tannery/dyer/shipwright... And some others that can be both, like basket making or smiths.
It would be really useful in the preparation of OT, which introduces to a larger scale the concept of industrial plots.

Reactions: SseriousBusiness
I also have been thinking of doing an overhaul to a lot of our guides, but had not time, but some ideas I had for the jobs guide were:

-Each profession should have a chronological exhibition of materials, tools, and industry machines with the process.
-Also have a separate section with 3 or more examples with different styles and palettes of rooms where the profession is taking place, and if the profession can be class overlapping have a low class example and a middle class example for ex.
-Have different iterations of representing the machines, tools and work, like multiple forge designs, loom designs, etc. the best case would have all designs of each profession that are acceptable represented on the guide to offer as much variation.

If I'm not too busy in the next year I can help with the guide.
Awesome initiative!