Abandoned Project Application: Weeping Town

Howy

Royal Messenger
Here it is folks, what you've all been waiting for: Howy yet again putting himself through copious amounts of stress and agony because he must like it at this point.

Application can be found here.

This project is a redo project. Redo approval can be found here.

Mamma mia, here we go again.

cher-mamma-mia-1524752519-1524752522.gif

SerLoras

Playwright
Hey Howy, it's really exciting to see someone finally updating Weeping Town!

I have a little feedback on the terrain plan. First, that river/stream/whatever off to the east between Weeping Town and Gower looks a little off/overly simplistic to me compared with the terrain changes you're proposing. I didn't give much thought to that waterway when I added it in at the end of my project. I just needed my streams from the Rainwood to drain to the sea somehow so I cut a path for them. I wasn't really intending that waterway to be final, since I thought Weeping Town would eventually require a redo of that area anyway. So, if you did want to incorporate a redo of that waterway and the land around it into your project that would be totally fine with me.

Also, it seems like from your app you are going to leave the holdfast on the little peninsula near where that waterway drains as is. That's fine, but I just wanted to point out that holdfast is actually part of the old Weeping Town project (it's /warp weepingholdfast), not part of Gower, so it definitely could (and maybe should) be included in the redo.

One last thing, that road/trail that comes out of the Rainwood right near your Star 5 (Hamlet #3) is very important. It is the path that is described in Arianne II that Arianne and her companions take when traveling from Weeping Town to Mistwood (it passes by the cave and other points of interest mentioned in canon) So whatever path out of Weeping Town you are envisioning that Arianne took it should connect to that middle path into the Rainwood. It might be worthwhile to double check the section of Arianne II that describes the journey from Weeping Town to Mistwoood and make sure that the roads/trails you have planned connecting Weeping Town and Mistwood fit what is described.

Other than that, everything looks fantastic and I can't wait to see it.

Howy

Royal Messenger
PLOTS are now OPEN at Weeping Town! /warp wt or /warp weepingtown
See the green-glass outline for where plots are open!

This time I have made a Style Guide! Please read through all of it before building.

Plots are open to Mods, Builders and Probation Builders.
HOWEVER, Probation Builders will need their house to be approved by me first before they can build another plot in the town.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey Howy, I noticed a couple of things regarding Weeping Town.

Plotting
The town hall seems to ignore the plotting of the town. Is there a specific reason for this?

Septs and septries
Where are all the septs and septries? So far, the currently 300-ish households in Weeping Town only have (what I assume) a small 7x7 sept to worship their gods at.

You seem to be missing the island septry, which did a great job of sheltering the bay of the town.

Drydock
Drydocks were incredibly rare in medieval Europe; most ships were constructed on land well into the 18th century, including the standing war fleets of 17th century. Is there a specific reason to have a drydock at Weeping Town?

Walls
I noticed the canonically wooden wall of the town has an imposing stone gatehouse and large stone towers. I’d like to point out that “town wall” refers to the defenses of the town as a whole, including towers and gates along the walls. The stone parts of the defences would thus be inaccurate.

The walls also seem to be periodically interupted by houses. While this is not uncommon for stone walls as houses would be built against them, I’m having a hard time imagining a villager tearing down part of the town’s defenses in order to build his or her house in its place.

Howy

Royal Messenger
Hey Howy, I noticed a couple of things regarding Weeping Town.

Plotting
The town hall seems to ignore the plotting of the town. Is there a specific reason for this?

Septs and septries
Where are all the septs and septries? So far, the currently 300-ish households in Weeping Town only have (what I assume) a small 7x7 sept to worship their gods at.

You seem to be missing the island septry, which did a great job of sheltering the bay of the town.

Drydock
Drydocks were incredibly rare in medieval Europe; most ships were constructed on land well into the 18th century, including the standing war fleets of 17th century. Is there a specific reason to have a drydock at Weeping Town?

Walls
I noticed the canonically wooden wall of the town has an imposing stone gatehouse and large stone towers. I’d like to point out that “town wall” refers to the defenses of the town as a whole, including towers and gates along the walls. The stone parts of the defences would thus be inaccurate.

The walls also seem to be periodically interupted by houses. While this is not uncommon for stone walls as houses would be built against them, I’m having a hard time imagining a villager tearing down part of the town’s defenses in order to build his or her house in its place.

Town Hall is purposefully like that, however the plotting isn't done yet for that area. Currently considering shifting the path to cut through that way. FIXED

Septs/Septires - Plotting isn't done. I was asked about this earlier and currently the main sept is planned for the hill peak on the north-east side. Island Septry also not added/terraformed yet. FIXED (Island now present, sept stuff wip)

Drydock - Currently the Stormlands canonly has a fleet but doesn't seem to have anywhere to build them. My reason for having one there is it is the main town/economic centre and likely also where the Stormlands would be able to draw on most of its fleet power with the harbor etc ((Thanks GRRM for only recently remembering the Stormlands needed an economy)). There is WesterosCraft precedent for a drydock, which can be found at White Harbor.

Walls - The wooden walls canon is from what the POV saw, it is not 'broad canon' (as in it doesnt describe everything as being wooden). It is only what Arianne sees, therefore it is okay to exercise some creative liberty regarding what is not seen or described (as we have done and will continue to do on WC).

Re the Houses, currently considering cutting them out and/or changing them to military/town guard-focused buildings. Suggestions welcome for breaking up the wall a bit since I find it a bit plain without the houses FIXED

Note the OPEN plots aren't affected by the above changes/feedback so it's okay to build there folks!

Last edited: