Abandoned Project Application: Maidenpool

AwbMan

Street Preacher
I do appreciate the feedback guys. And yes Maidenpool is a large town. However, a good chunk of plotting had already been put down, and I would be working simultaneously with Enah, who has a lot of experience in large scale projects. Although I might not have much experience in plotting, Enah does, and I am capable of following a design overall. I will also have Veggie to guide me in certain aspects. If I was asking to start from scratch, then yes, it would be absolutely absurd of me to suggest I lead it, but there is enough built for me to continue it, and I would have both the former project lead and one of the most experienced builders (imo) at my side. I truly believe, if given the chance, that Enah and I can finish Maidenpool. I can, however, do a couple more minis if it would put some more faith in me as a builder and gain some more experience.

Last edited:
  • Seriously?
Reactions: Iwan and Guillaaard

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
As I've pulled out of Darkdell, I've looked to applying for other projects and will consider taking up MP. Its structuring and layout fits somewhat with my vision and some ideas for another project I'd plan to eventually apply for. These ideas are mainly focused on medieval industry (mills for any use), medieval fishing (salt, drying, cod, and salmon books by Mark Kurlansky), and early attempts at farm irrigation.

I've talked to homie about us doing a coop on MP along with others if they are willing to cooperate in leading certain aspects of MP.

Let it be known that I am considering taking on MP, with help from others.

Homiesucc

Herald
Pronouns
she/her
As I've pulled out of Darkdell, I've looked to applying for other projects and will consider taking up MP. Its structuring and layout fits somewhat with my vision and some ideas for another project I'd plan to eventually apply for. These ideas are mainly focused on medieval industry (mills for any use), medieval fishing (salt, drying, cod, and salmon books by Mark Kurlansky), and early attempts at farm irrigation.

I've talked to homie about us doing a coop on MP along with others if they are willing to cooperate in leading certain aspects of MP.

Let it be known that I am considering taking on MP, with help from others.
TEAM IRON CURTAIN LETS GOOOOO

Adorkabley

Royal Messenger
Pronouns
she/her
I think we need to clam down just a little bit no decision has been officially made yet so lets not have everyone jumping on mp with plans and throwing their names into a hat. He did say reach out privately if you are interested. Also its a shame you are having to drop the project veggie, I know life can get busy but I was lookng forward to what you could have done with MP.

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey guys

Ecchoing Dorks last post, it's important for us to calm down. Veggies decision to abandon Maidenpool, although unfortunate, opens up a very interesting project for the general community to look for. As such any potential applicants would do well on first talking with Veggie and then presenting their plans on an appropriate thread so that the mod team and the community can give feedback on, before (and if) an approval is going to be given. This goes for every potential applicant, naturally. I would advise everyone to not simply make someone drop their plans before having them presented and judged. Anyone and everyone deserves a chance to at the very least have their ideas heard.

Another important note I want to make is that, per the server rules, we only allow builders/mods to take one project at a time. Some of the names throw in the discussion on these last few posts already have their projects, which would need to be abandoned should they want to apply for Maindenpool. Just something for all to keep in mind.

Thanks,
Ric

Enah

Skinchanger
I was under the understanding that a builder co-op another project with someone but not give up their own personal project? Is this now no longer the case? Because if so then that’s unfair, for i have seen multiple projects touched and shaped by some people who has their own personal but were involved as a colead… or am i mistaken on this? But yes this project is fair game for anyone

Reactions: Adorkabley

Ric

Ser
Staff member
I was under the understanding that a builder co-op another project with someone but not give up their own personal project? Is this now no longer the case? Because if so then that’s unfair, for i have seen multiple projects touched and shaped by some people who has their own personal but were involved as a colead… or am i mistaken on this? But yes this project is fair game for anyone
I believe the understanding is that anyone is free to help others on their projects, as we all do to each other all the time. But applying and taking over another project (be it a co-op or not) while already having one under your wing isn't allowed

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Since Maidenpool just became available for applications again, and because there is apparently a lot of interest in picking up the project, we are going to instate a ~4 week pause on applications - applications can be posted from 15. October. Anyone who is interested in picking up the project alone or as a team is welcome to apply.

Adorkabley

Royal Messenger
Pronouns
she/her
Thank you for the pause. I just want to point out when things like trying to nab it or talking about taking it over happen it can create pressure on anyone wanting to apply and feel like they need to rush out an application as quickly as they can. I am not saying not to discuss picking things up I am saying the initial post said to talk privately about it with the former project lead and instead it got a little blown out of proportion with some ppl feeling belittled and created unnecessary pressure on anyone else wanting to apply or put their hat into the mix. Now everyone can relax and calmly put together their application, I wish the best of luck to everyone who applies for the project.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi all,

It's come to our attention that a large number of structures at Maidenpool have been removed from the production world and copied to the personal test plots of the builders who made them, without notification or prior approval. We want to clarify the rules around project leadership and decision-making: when a builder volunteers to build at another solo project, they're gifting the products of their efforts to that project. As such, the decision to remove or modify completed elements of the project ultimately rests on the project leader - or in this case, since the project has been orphaned, the mod team - and not the original builders. We were informed that the former leader of Maidenpool was not aware of the extent of the changes due to a miscommunication, and neither was approval given by any of the mod team to remove the structures there.

Additionally, regardless of questions of project leadership or abandonment, we've generally followed the precedent that large changes to a project such as removing or redoing substantial portions are typically expected to be passed by the approving mods first. This is to help ensure that projects stay on track for eventual completion and that changes that set back overall server progress are not made spontaneously. We feel that the decision by the builders in question sets a concerning precedent and goes against the overall server culture of collaboration towards a shared goal. Removing many of the existing high-quality structures and established styles at Maidenpool upon abandonment needlessly sets back the progress of the project and increases the workload of whichever builder steps up to finish the project in the future.

Hence, we've attempted to roll back as much as the project as we were able to, although some structures were not able to be recovered. Any builds that were copied to the Test world still remain there. If anyone who previously contributed to Maidenpool has any stipulations over future use of their builds, or tests that they consider outdated and do not wish to be used, or tests that they wish to be used elsewhere instead, please feel free to post them in this thread or bring them up with a mod in-game, and we will do our best to accommodate those requests (as we always do with high-quality abandoned builds). However, in the future please make sure that the appropriate permissions have been granted to remove builds at a project or it may be considered griefing.

If anyone has any concerns with this decision, please feel free to discuss them with me in private.

-The mod team

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Just a brief update/clarification to the previous post: we don't believe that the builders in question had any ill intent with removing builds, or that it was intended as a jab at anyone. At the core there seemed to be a miscommunication over the builders wanting to re-use some builds elsewhere, and Veggie not knowing that they intended removing the original copies rather than just copying them. The point of the previous post was just to make sure that, in the future, people first get transparent forums approval before doing things like this in order to avoid these sorts of situations. We're happy to accommodate re-uses of abandoned builds at other locations (at least, so long as the style fits).