Approved Project Application: House Tarth by ViserysII

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Alright so I've got some feedback, mostly on Evenfall Hall itself.
Having Evenfall on the westernmost point makes complete sense, it would allow the castle to be painted by the setting sun. However, considering the prevalence of high calcium stone and benefits of lime washing, wouldn't it sense for the castle to have a brightened palette or plastering, rather than the current grey stone placeholder?

Additionally, a lot of the inspiration seems to be from Bohemia, rather than Romania. What might be good its to weave in more of the Romanian, Transylvanian Saxon and Transcarpathian (You've already got Nevytske Castle) and potentially Slovakian castles too, as well as drawing tower designs from the Fortified churches a bit more.

Another suggestion of mine is to have a large 'western gallery' which looks out to sea. Just aesthetics wise. Maybe a tiny little path down to a beach from the castle too?

Last edited:

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Hey Vis,
As a stormlands fanboy I Love the App and ur inspiration! :)
I just wanted to ask if u have any inspiration for ships. Because I personally never thought about what kind of ships the stormlands would have. It was just in my mind.
Would be nice to see maybe some inspiration.

Greetings

Jeff

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for the amazing feedback guys!

Alright so I've got some feedback, mostly on Evenfall Hall itself.
Having Evenfall on the westernmost point makes complete sense, it would allow the castle to be painted by the setting sun. However, considering the prevalence of high calcium stone and benefits of lime washing, wouldn't it sense for the castle to have a brightened palette or plastering, rather than the current grey stone placeholder?

Additionally, a lot of the inspiration seems to be from Bohemia, rather than Romania. What might be good its to weave in more of the Romanian, Transylvanian Saxon and Transcarpathian (You've already got Nevytske Castle) and potentially Slovakian castles too, as well as drawing tower designs from the Fortified churches a bit more.

Another suggestion of mine is to have a large 'western gallery' which looks out to sea. Just aesthetics wise. Maybe a tiny little path down to a beach from the castle too?

At first, while I was planning the palette I thought making a darker one would be helpful in order to bring a certain feeling of aging as Evenfall Hall is an ancient castle, but thinking about it now it kinda makes sense to have a special brighter palette for it, I'm gonna run some tests and see what I can come up with.

These inspirations are lovely, Aeks! They'll certainly be very helpful. Also, the 'western gallery' and the path to the beach are such great ideas, already noted them down ;D really appreciated it!

Hey Vis,
As a stormlands fanboy I Love the App and ur inspiration! :)
I just wanted to ask if u have any inspiration for ships. Because I personally never thought about what kind of ships the stormlands would have. It was just in my mind.
Would be nice to see maybe some inspiration.

Greetings

Jeff

Hey Jeff! Glad to know you liked the app :D

So, I gotta say I'm not an expert on ships, I added them in because I've always wanted to make a project where I could work with them. It'd be really nice to put this topic under discussion on the Overhaul, in order to get a better understanding of what sort of ships would fit in the region. So, once we come to an agreement I'll update this subject here on this thread.

-Vis

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Honestly I can't really fault this application. That paired with your excellent work on Hammerhal gives me a lot of confidence in your ability to do well here. It's a big project but a logical next step with unique challenges I'm sure you'll overcome.

Do check in with me before opening areas for building, and I would like to see some options for the castle palette before it's totally signed off, but other than that I have no concerns.

Approved from me!

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey Vis!

I second Dutch's comments and with that plus the conversation we had about the castle and houses palettes I think you're good to go! Like I told you, would be nice to include the Eyrie Marble in the castle interiors for decoration. Also I think when someone applies for the septry mini in the smaller island would be nice to have it be a somewhat fortified area, so it's able to defend itself from invasors from the sea.

So: approved by me as well, with the same conditions Dutch set :)

F

FD001__

Thanks for the amazing feedback guys!

At first, while I was planning the palette I thought making a darker one would be helpful in order to bring a certain feeling of aging as Evenfall Hall is an ancient castle, but thinking about it now it kinda makes sense to have a special brighter palette for it, I'm gonna run some tests and see what I can come up with.

These inspirations are lovely, Aeks! They'll certainly be very helpful. Also, the 'western gallery' and the path to the beach are such great ideas, already noted them down ;D really appreciated it!

Hey Jeff! Glad to know you liked the app :D

So, I gotta say I'm not an expert on ships, I added them in because I've always wanted to make a project where I could work with them. It'd be really nice to put this topic under discussion on the Overhaul, in order to get a better understanding of what sort of ships would fit in the region. So, once we come to an agreement I'll update this subject here on this thread.

-Vis
On ships:

Since a lot of your inspo for Tarth tends to come from Transylvania, Bohemia, i.e. landlocked areas, it does leave you with a conundrum. I'm not a massive expert on medieval ships, but good examples could come from Ragusan ships from that period, Croatian ones would be worth looking at too; possibly even Byzantine ships (if your inspo is southern Balkans, that would be the closest place to look - but maybe only for important warships).

I'm not clued up on canon tbh so you can correct me if you like.

Tarth would be likely reliant on galleys (imo) - as most naval combat would be in shallow, Mediterreanish conditions around the coasts from the Crownlands down to possibly as far south as Wyl historically. I assume as these areas aren't in open ocean/sea; fast vessels like the galley would be much better suited for this. Similar to the Arbor's dependence on galleys/dromons etc. They would still need some carracks imo just for combat out in more open sea in the Narrow Sea.

I can make some tests for ships if you want - very bored atm hahah

Reactions: ViserysII

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
I second what Aeks said above. By the way, the town will not get started any time soon as I have a lot of terra stuff to do in the next few months, but yes it'd be nice to see some tests for ships until there. Thanks FD!

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Hello there!

Here’s an UPDATE! (Finally)

Tarth is moving nicely, I’ve done a lot of progress in the last months, especially regarding the town, with the help of many builders in special Wurst and Majic. I am really glad on how things are turning out and grateful for all the kind and constructive feedback I’ve received so far.

I’ve got a few things to say about the town and it's current status, so here it goes:

• Firstly, there are a few open plots in the low-class area, Dutch and Ric have already checked them out and gave me their go-ahead. Everything is well explained on the signs floating on top of each plot, and please go check the guide and the house examples before start building anything. There will be a colored wool atop each plot meaning the sort of gradient you should use on it, at the guide you will find out what gradient each color represents.
  • There are also a couple of middle classes open for furnishing, which requires tests, so reach me or Wurst out if there are any questions regarding them.
  • The harbor is nearly complete, the boats and ships have already been set up (some of them still need furnishing tho), and I believe there's just the walls and the floor gradient to go now. And also, Majic is working on the sewer system, which is also part of the harbor area.
  • I intend to open more stuff when I finish plotting the rest of the middle/high-class area, and I'll make sure to let you guys know through here once I do.

In order to avoid more misunderstandings, I wanna make it clear that I've asked Wurst and Majic to help me out with the town, and as I'm mostly all day afk, they will be providing feedback on the houses that have been done, and once I get the chance to hop on the server, I will go through these houses myself to give them my approval. So, if there are any questions regarding the town, it can be asked Wurst and Majic as well, they are pretty much aware of my plans and know how I want things to proceed.

Overall I believe that's pretty much it, and I'll make sure to update this thread more often from now on.

Thank you,

-Viserys

Last edited: