Completed Project Application: House Graceford by Margaery and Desmera

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Hey stoop thank you for the feedback, let me address each of the points.

I noticed that the forests in Holy Hall still has large patches of green and brown wool. I understand the forest undergrowth is going to be adressed when Uffering's is, but what is up with the green wool?

I'm not sure to what you're referring to? I've checked the interiors of the forests and its a large uninterrupted expanse of brown. If you're talking about the bit of green wool across the stream at the northern border, that bit of wool is not under my purview and is the responsibility of whoever takes up Goldengrove.

The valley in the north of the project has a rediculous amount of flowers and tall grass, rendering it into something I can only call the Dancing Valley of lag.

95% of the time, when people say "lag" they mean "performance issues". "Lag" or "latency" per se is a network issue.

The client can have performance issues: low FPS and/or screen stutter due to weak CPU, weak GPU, lack of memory, background processes or badly coded / incompatible software
The client can have lag: inability to sync with the server due to congested or faulty connection

The server can have performance issues: low tickrate due to weak CPU, lack of memory, background processes or badly coded / incompatible software
The server can have lag: inability to distribute data to clients due to congested or faulty connection

The network can introduce lag: dropping packets en route, traffic passing through congested nodes or intercontinental links etc.

On the client, mods tend to stress the GPU more than vanilla does, and require a far larger amount of memory. On the server, mods tend to stuff a lot more work to do into the single-threaded main Minecraft process that ticks the world, therefore quickly hitting a CPU bottleneck; also, a lot of complex goings-on require a lot of data to be synced to the client very frequently, which can congest the network connection and waste time with protocol overhead.

Generally speaking animated textures should not have any impact on performance because the game is not actually redrawing anything (which would be horribly slow). There is an issue with animated textures causing lag though, at least with very bad computers (with the default resource pack) or with resource packs that add lots of animated textures, but this happens regardless of whether any are being rendered (the game has to recreate the texture atlas every animated frame (20/second) and reupload it to the GPU, and it updates every animated texture regardless of whether any are actually being rendered)

If lag is really an issue I recommend going to Video Settings > Animations > Terrain Animations and switching Terrain Animations to "OFF".

It's currently unknown why this helps with lag for some users with lower end and cheaper computers since this option only affects:
4 command block textures
  • 4 chain command block textures
  • 4 repeating command block textures
  • magma, prismarine and sea lantern
  • other block and item animations which may be added by resource packs

How did the trees there not grow near the banks of the river? Has it anything to do with the stone Garth Greenhand soiling his breeches as the source of the river?

It's meant to be a riparian river zone, Enah already agreed a while ago to assist me with improving the area so its not a big deal

Furthermore, the general trend among the project is to put flowers literally anywhere. I can understand a rich assortment of flowers in fields, but what flowers does the assortment of wild growing flowers represent? For what purpose are the flowers grown in fields and what flowers are those? The cattle must be joining the forces of Renly Baratheon since the fields they usually stand in have started to overgrow.

Per canon the lands of Highgarden and its environs are meant to be filled with an overwhelming abundance of flowers, I wanted it to be set apart and distinct from any other area in the Reach or the unfinished parts of the Riverlands, a veritable "Land of Plenty".

"You need a taste of summer before it flees. In Highgarden there are fields of golden roses that stretch away as far as the eye can see. The fruits are so ripe they explode in your mouth—melons, peaches, fireplums, you've never tasted such sweetness [...] And you ought to see the towns, Ned! Flowers everywhere, the markets bursting with food, the summerwines so cheap and so good that you can get drunk just breathing the air. Everyone is fat and drunk and rich." - A Game of Thrones - Eddard I

But in regards to aesthetics vs structural functionalism I tend to err towards the side of aesthetics since for the most part in the context of what the function of what this server map will eventually be (either an MMO or simply an art project) generally speaking our players don't have enough insight to for example know the difference between two patches of off-pink flowers one of which is supposed to be sage and the other spearmint. I understand trying to be immersive and as true to medieval Europe as possible, but when the discussion becomes over minutiae that stretches the human mind's capacity of giving a fuck I begin to wonder if we're losing track over the purpose of the server.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
As noted by @Margeary_Tyrell that she simply doesn’t give a fuck about the realism of her project I will refrain from giving feedback on the contents of said project.

However, I do want to point out that expecting others to patch up your WE remnants such as green wool, which apparently ceased to be part of Marge’s responsibility the moment her terraforming was “done” (which it’s not, made apparent by the leftover green wool), is in extremely poor taste.

On another note, do you really think any applicant would consider the small stretch of green wool between Holyhall forest, Holyhall and “Stokeford” (which is a leftover warp I think?), which is surrounded on all sides bar the north-western side by Holyhall, to be part of Goldengrove?

Reactions: thecoddfish

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
As one of HH approving mods, and considering myself to be quite picky when post approving, I find it quite abusive and unpleasant to have this kind of public attack towards mod in general and myself in this case... Especially considering it's not the 1st time you tend to criticize mods in their job, and even more considering you were mod yourself and you know we're not perfect. The part about mods not doing their job was unjustified and non constructive, hence you should think twice before throwing that kind of cutting remark.

On the subject of the landscape, on the contrary, I feel that the new agricultural style developed in Uffering and Holyhall and neighbour projects is giving a complete refreshing to what looks like our fields... flowers and more natural features make them a lot less generic, shapes are a lot more realistic, and no longer huuuuge straight rectangles. So, I’m fine with Marge’s work at HH, and I’m glad we have a lot more work done on the fields now than before.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Seriously about the green wool... the whole region is a construction site, half of the projects are being done, Goldengrove will need a complete redo anyway... From Redlake to Westbrook there's green wool everywhere... since when do we care so much about that?

Also, the N-Eastern forest for me is a way to fill the lands, something we try to develop as much as possible (and not just stop at castles and villages). HH girls could have done as most of the other project leads and say they don't care about the surrounding lands and make no connections and filling at all... In any case, if it's bothering that much, we can just replace it with grass.

I don't think there's anything more to discuss on the topic.