Completed Project Application: House Cordwayner by ViserysII

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Hey guys!!
So I decided to take Hammerhal as my first project, and as it is a foster project I'm so glad to be able to move it forward, and some of Tsar's ideas are still there. I'll send you my app and I might have forgotten something, but if so, you just need to ask me :D hope u like it guys!

Attachments

• House Cordwayner (3).pdf
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 162

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Viserys, great app! I've got some feedback at this stage.

• Map/plans look good, just need the Rose Road as Marg states.
  • I like your plans for the keep, though I would perhaps use something other than wall blocks for the gable on the right hand side of the keep, feels messy - perhaps crow-stepped gables with slab blocks might look neater?
  • I think the house tests have a bit much going on from a material perspective - some of them are switching between stone, wood and daub in the space of a few blocks, which is way too much. I would try stick to one or two materials, and perhaps make some of the houses a little larger? In these small hamlets they're not really constrained for land to build on, and you could get away with some larger peasant houses with room for more inside - whether that be extra sleeping space, room for animals or some basic storage, it's gonna really help bring the place to life.
  • I would like to see you put the house tests into some context - could you perhaps mock up a house + yard test?

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Viserys, I added the border around Hammerhal based on your map and came up with this:

1598515093726.png

A few things:
- The fields and coaching inn to the north are in Cordwayner lands (the banners hanging in the main hall are green and yellow) so it would be great if you could include that area in your plans, though it really doesn't need much work done, but you could maybe add something in the northernmost corner. Extend the Woodwright forest, or add a hamlet, or just leave it an open field (nothing wrong with that).
- You have planned for a small septry in the southeast of the lands, but there is already quite a large septry just across the border in Beesbury Lands.
- I agree with codd on the mixes of materials. I don't really understand the D&W gable trend. I would just use the same material from the foundation to the top of the roof.

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Thank you for the feedback guys!
- I made some changes to the map because of the borders.
- I don't know how I forgot that septry, I already solved that matter! (take a look at the new map)
- I replaced the wall blocks for slabs as you suggested Codd.
- I fixed the problem with the materials, and I made the houses a bit larger.
- Ric showed me some cool inspirations of houses with room for animals and I really liked the idea, I'll take good care of it. :D
- I did a house + yard test as you asked Codd, I took some inspirations from the Gaunt to make the yards.

Attachments

• House Cordwayner (5).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, the map is really good and I'm really happy with the keep and the house tests in context. Of the house tests, I feel the first 3 still have a bit much going on (switching from stone to d&w with oak halfdoors on the corners feels like a bit too much is going on - as a rule of thumb I would probably recommend ditching the halfdoor corner things). The last 2 tests are really great however (whitewashed wood + stone, white d&w) as are the ones you've put into context.

I am curious about the mason in the farming complex - why would a highly skilled tradesman set up shop in a very small hamlet a reasonable distance from most paying consumers? Perhaps replacing that with something a little more humble/fitting with the rurality of the location.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Vis, this would be a great project to finish. I'll just echo what Codd's said, and with the halfdoors on the house corners, they do indeed look nice but agree that it's probably a bit much for a simple farming house (particularly if you make some diagonal).

Otherwise the application is looking in good shape, subject to Codd's notes being addressed I'm happy to approve. We can talk more in game once you've started plotting.

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Hey guys!
Yeah looking at it now I see that the mason wasn't the best option indeed, I'll do as Codd said and add just a humbler house there. I already fixed the issue with the halfdoors too!
Thank you for the feedback guys! and for giving me your approval Cash:D

Last edited:

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Hello!
I worked a lot in the manor today, I changed the layout of the courtyard and solved the issue of the style, also showed it to Wrmd and we talked a bit. I'll post some pictures of it but you can take a look closer at my plot /warp viserysII :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Scubooty and Ric
Hi Viserys, I like the castle test but I find it rather on the small spectrum for a noble house in the Reach. I see that their lands are sizable too.

There might be some reasoning behind it but from my perspective you could make it bigger.

Either by keeping it a fortified manor and enlarging the main block or by adding 1-2 towers.

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Nuggs, it can be considered! and yeah I didn't intend to make big castle, I even made it larger than Tsar did on his tests, but I can add some extra things as u suggested :D
Hey Marg, yeah I added a blacksmith in my plans I can show where I placed it in-game!

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Vis,
I really like your castle test, but I agree it could be a little bit larger, but not by too much.
One of your inspiration images shows a similar layout to what you have but with a larger stone keep. I can see you have made this into a tower in your test, but I would make it larger and taller. The hall could be longer as well. Don't add towers for the sake of adding towers. You already have all the key ingredients for a castle in your test.

Also don't feel the need to add a garden to your castle yard (aka bailey or ward). A castle's yard is a very functional area; for rallying troops, loading and unloading wagons, and as a general living area. Think of it more as a town square rather than just empty space. There might be a market going on inside the castle, soldiers training, people cooking meals on fires, hanging out their laundry, with smaller support buildings all around it: blacksmiths, farriers, granaries, extra accommodation etc. It's a universal feature of all castles built for defence.

I can see you've got some arrow butts already so you are definitely on the right track!

ViserysII

Emissary
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Dutch! Thanks for the feedback :D
So the castle remains almost the same, I increased all its proportions, also modified the gatehouse and the roof of the lord's tower. Nuggs helped me in some parts and we discussed where would be a cool place to make a tower for the maester, I already did it and I think it looks good. If u wanna take a look it is in my plot with a signal above! Oh and just to tell you that I didn't fix the gradient because of the modifications so it's still a mess.