Under Review Project Application: House Chambers

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey Nic! I'm glad to see you applying for a project :D Very nice of you to want to depict the war path, you might want to check Dutch's Map on that.

So, I would like to make a suggestion based on Dunk and Egg canon, from the third tale (The Mystery Knight).
‘He gave Thunder a touch of the spur, and he and Egg rode through the gates of Stoney Sept, listening to the soft sound of the rain.
[...]
Six days later, the rain was just a memory. [...] ‘There's an old inn by the lakeshore.’ Dunk had stopped there once when he was squiring for the old man. ‘Ser Arlan said they brewed a fine brown ale. Might be we could have a taste while we waited for the ferry.’ [...] Their last hot meal had been three days ago. Since then, they had been living on windfalls and strips of old salt beef as hard as wood. [...] There is only the one ferry, and it is not big enough to take us all.
To give context, they were traveling from Stoney Sept to the Kingsroad and from there they would go to the North, so they headed to a ferry to cross the God's Eye. As the descripton says, there's an inn by the lakeshore, near or together with the ferry.

I believe the lands of House Chambers are the perfect place for it, specially because the lands to the north are already done and didn't have them. I think you could also make a new road so the journey from SS to the ferry is more direct maybe like this:
1618076817574.png
The brown is the current road from SS to the lake and the black is my suggestion.

Also I would like to ask a question: I read the wiki on Old Willow and all it says it that it was "a place". The canon quote for it from The Princess and the Queen is "Vhagar’s flames reduced Old Willow and White Willow to ash, and Hogg Hall to blackened stone". So, what kind of place would you make it be?

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Ric!

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Your idea for the road is really nice and I think that I will make use of it. The inn, as depicted in the source you cited, could very well be located by the lake. I'll just adjust my hamlet plans so that the inn wouldn't be alone there.

There's not much information on Old Willow so I believe that it was a small keep or a holdfast before it's destruction. I might change it's location a bit if I'm allowed and make it into a barely recognisable ruin (the peasants living nearby would probably have taken the most valuable stones away for their house uses). Butcher's Ball is going to be a meadow similar to Field of Fire, but with less fire references.

I will post some tests for the Old Willow ruins here but I think that eventually it will be a mini build open for anyone, once I'm settled with my plans. So I'm likely not going to make it myself (I suck at building ruins lol)...

[EDIT]: The road plans are now present in the app doc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DutchGuard and Ric

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
A few extra notes on the level of destruction for this area:

I'm using dates from this spreadsheet.

- On 1/28/299 Tywin sends Amory, Gregor, and Vargo off with 300 cavalry.
“Let them,” Lord Tywin said. “Unleash Ser Gregor and send him before us with his reavers. Send forth Vargo Hoat and his freeriders as
well, and Ser Amory Lorch. Each is to have three hundred horse. Tell them I want to see the riverlands afire from the Gods Eye to the Red
Fork.” - GoT Ch.69, Tyrion 9

- A month later on 2/28/299 The God's Eye town (with Arya in it) is destroyed by Amory Lorch and his band of raiders, or about 5 days before 3/3/299, the unofficial server date. Presumably Amory is heading West around the God's Eye after having just come from trying to burn down Sow's Horn.

- This is important to point out as it may be that Amory hasn't actually reached Chambers yet by the time of our server. We don't know where Gregor or Vargo are, maybe one went east towards Maidenpool, the other along the western shore of the God's Eye, or north towards Atranta? We can only speculate. It may even be possible that Amory has already sacked Chambers and is burning the God's Eye town on his way back to Harrenhal. Either way, there are reasons for why the area around Chambers may or may not be damaged by raids, ultimately it's up to you.

Also just want to quickly point out that the Hayford Road (in purple below, as seen by activating the "Roads" layer on dynmap) runs through the Chambers area, which is a major route connecting Riverrun and King's Landing.

1618082346050.png

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for pointing out the Hayford Road Dutch, I had completely forgotten about it. Also I've decided that I would go for a quite destructed type of area, maybe just a few spared houses like the Inn mentioned in Dunk and Egg canon, because ser Amory could have used that for his troops to stay at and so he would have spared it.

Here is a quick burned house test I did:
1618160437667.png

Last edited:

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Nico,

Could you possibly include a map showing roughly what you might think the "path of destruction" through the area would be? That way you can show us what areas would be damaged. I'd like to also add this as a requirement for any central Riverlands project just so we can have some coherence between projects.

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
Hey, just informing that i got some ideas now and school's got a little easier so i might be able to return developing this project (emphasize the "might").

Reactions: DutchGuard and Ric

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
chambers lands2.png

Hey! Decided to make my comeback in a form of this map. First I'll explain the symbols of my plans: 1 = motte-and-bailey castle, 2 = village with the inn that Dunk and Egg visit, 3 = the ruins of Old Willow, 4 = fishing village by the lake and Butcher's ball directly south of it by the shore. I would terraform the stony ridge (depicted here: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Butcher's_Ball) on a northwest-southeast axis somewhere there (more accurate plans for the terra later). 5 and 6 = hamlets. Yellow rectangle are meant to be fields and pastures while the green hexagons are meant to be forest.

For the rate of destruction as Dutch wanted to know, mostly the eastern half of the region would be pillaged. I can, again, explain it more accurately later.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I've been looking through the butcher's ball lore and came across the fact that Criston Cole's outriders, while going along the western coast of the Gods Eye, went through the village of Crossed Elms. While we do have a warp for it currently north west of Harrenhal, the outriders were ambushed by sellswords in the pay of Vance of Wayfarers Rest, rather than Atranta.
It might make more sense to rename "Harbury" Crossed Elms but also makes sense to keep the current warp as they were outriders rather than the main army, which was starving due to scorched earth tactics.

I'm liking the plans so far but do think a more detailed map would be good. Additionally, the Butcher's Ball ridge should probably be a bit further inland, maybe with sightlines to the Gods Eye from there. Cole wouldn't have wanted to have met for parley with his army by the waters edge, since it would have been easy to drive against and trap them.
I'd suggest to instead have the ridge between 5 and the left hand corner of your southern fields (SW-NE), which also more aptly follows the description that the battle took place south of the Gods Eye. It would then also form a watershed between the river that flows from the Gods Eye and the river that forms the southern border of Willowwood.

Reactions: Nicodemus

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Hey Nic!

I would also like to see a more detailed map, I think it'll be helpful. It would be nice if you could include which areas would be destroyed and which not in it. And a question: apart from the map that you changed, the other things in the original app are still in your plans?

Also, the inn Dunk mentions should be in the settlement near the lakeshore, because he suggests they stay there while waiting for the ferry to cross the God's Eye.

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
Hey! I'm not really skilled in making maps so if someone wants to help me out, I'd be very greateful. And sorry Ric, I mistook the lake for the small lake in Chamebrs lands, didn't realise it was God's Eye :D also haven't read the Dunk and Egg stories, but feel free to tell me more if you'd like to.

PS. There is a castle miniature on my plot on the glass platform done with help from Antony, any feedback on it is to be appreciated :)

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya Nicodemus,

As I think I said to you in game ages ago, the castle is looking really good and I love the motte and bailey tests for Chambers! I particularly like the potential for a small settlement in the outer bailey.

Would you be able to work out a new map with the ridgeline suggested?

Reactions: Nicodemus and Ric