Completed Project Application - Ashwood by _Simbaa

_Simbaa

Printmaker
ty for the info marg
Apple trees per canon grow as far north as Queenscrown.

Pears, plums, apples are great fruit trees to grow in a cold climate. Sour cherries and hawthornes as well.

That being said, I would put some effort into making the trees look gnarled and windswept to reflect that theyre growing in a colder environment.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah, in the US apples are grown mostly in the Great Lakes region (the area right around my city is one of the major apple exporters) and our winters are pretty cold and brutal. I'm not sure how Westeros's irregular seasons would affect this realistically, but like Marge said, it's also canon, so thankfully we can just take it for granted.

_Simbaa

Printmaker
I will ofcourse help you however I can Alec_Sander & ContraContradict however please be patient as right now I am away for a couple of days, however hopefully I will be able to jump on for a few minutes to look at your tests, I will probably want to go over them with you before you apply for it. For that I will most likely PM one of you with my feedback either ingame or on forums/discords depends on when Ill be online.

Reactions: Alec_Sander

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Linen. hmmmm. The most time consuming part of making early ships was the making of sails. Perhaps your linen and wool will supply weavers who make the Manderly fleet? This would mean that one of Eddard's last orders (iirc) to build more ships up the white knife, would be provided by Ashwood

Alec_Sander

Street Preacher
Linen. hmmmm. The most time consuming part of making early ships was the making of sails. Perhaps your linen and wool will supply weavers who make the Manderly fleet? This would mean that one of Eddard's last orders (iirc) to build more ships up the white knife, would be provided by Ashwood
Ooh yeh I like the idea of that. We could have warehouses stocked with large sheets and not just smaller rolls to be used for clothes. (If of course Simb is in favor :) )

_Simbaa

Printmaker
While I like this idea, I do not have much space left for large fields of flax etc.. however as I said before, the facility will be purely for creating the raw material (sheets) and not tailoring the cloths and such therefore if you want warehouses you are allowed to, but please take in consideration the supply capacity of ashwood region (wool should be fine, flax will be bit more limited to a few fields)

Reactions: ItsPabs

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Just another note on sheep, in the North around the White Knife there is likely a mix of some larger sheep varieties like Blackface and Lincoln but predominantly variations of Northern European Short-Tailed Sheep, which are hardier and can like wild in Scandinavian and Scottish winters.
The Short Tailed sheep are about the size of dogs and have 2 coats of wool, an outer layer than can be rooed (pulled off) and is waterproof, while a downy inner layer can be shorn off.
If you were planning to have wool used in sails as well, which is what Norse people used, it would require around 1,000 sheep to produce a singular longship square sail, and would require these smaller, hardier sheep.
For more information read: https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/no-wool-no-vikings/

Alec_Sander

Street Preacher
I think the overall thought we had was to have a smallish warehouse with mostly linen but some wool. As if you're someone who trades linen then being so close to white harbor would also allow you to dabble in wool.

Last edited:

_Simbaa

Printmaker
AerioOndos While I value your advice, I think it would be more helpful in inspiration & guides, as Ashwood is close to finishing and it is too late for any brainstorming and substantial changes. What I need help with, though, are the unfinished plots around the project!

Reactions: AerioOndos

Alec_Sander

Street Preacher
Okay... So after a week or so trying to get into the project me and cc are struggling to be motivated to work on this project, along with me, cc and simba not often being around at the same time to get feedback. I think it's best for us to step down from the mini and allow someone with more motivation for the project to take it. Sorry Simba...

_Simbaa

Printmaker
I hereby declare Ashwood done and ask for the post-approval process to be initiated.

While I do realize that the northern border ends abruptly in a straight line I would like to explain my reasoning for it.
The terrain it connects do is mostly made by worldpainter and includes trees that we no longer use anywhere, Since our goal is to build up the entire server I think having a borders done in a straight line with a clear line defining the old terrain from the new will make it much much easier for future terraforming to take place, as there will be no need to identify border between old & new and it will be easier to connect stuff up to it. Lastly with this thread I will provide a list of all the commands used to create the the terrain around Ashwood, some of the documents contain detailed information on how to create the end result while others do not. I will in any case be willing to communicate with anyone wanting to use them in order to explain the process behind it.

Lastly I would like to thank:
Wrmd for furnishing multiple areas of the Castle, creating the gradient for it and designing the Ashwood Holdfast
CashBanks for being my approving mod and helping me with whenever I got stuck with worldedit
Emoticone for also being my approving mod and being there for every annoying little detail I wanted to get approved as-well as for helping me with WE.
Estoop for hating my sept.
And all the other Builder & Guests who helped me with this project, be it building, providing feedback, helping me to get motivated and such!

Cheers,
_Simbaa

Attachments

• AshwoodForest.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 16
  • AshwoodMoors.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Barrowlands Moors - Based on ashwood WIP.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Barrowlands_Moors.txt
    4 KB · Views: 1
  • TRANSITION.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 2

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Simb,

Sorry this took a while, but I've finally gotten to post-approval. puu.sh doesn't seem to be working right now, so I'm just going to leave melon stacks on issues I mention below:

- In the main village, there seems to be a house with floating dirt/gravel under a loft, presumably a mistake. I've indicated it with a melon tower. It seems to be a one-off thing (the other houses are all fine), but it might be worth poking around a bit more.

- In the hamlet to the north of the mill, there's a bit of the road which is made with the forest path blocks. Is this intentional, or leftover from when you were testing them?

- Also, a minor thing, but right near the above there's a fence next to the road, it'd look better with a little bit of grass growing next to it into the road (rather than a hard edge).

- The forests to the north and south still have a lot of rocks which use dark cobble, which need to be replaced with the terrainset variants. I recommend selecting the whole forests (or maybe in a couple sections), excluding anything which intentionally uses dark cobble. Be systematic about replacing every variant with the terrainset equivalent, including walls, stairs (you can get every direction at once using //replace <stair1> #id[<stair2>]), upside-down slabs, the full block you get when you stack two slabs together (which unfortunately is used in a couple schems...), etc.

- A couple more dirt/gravel errors at the coal camps in both the northern and southern forests.

- There's unused warps at /warp Ashhf2, /warp AshRingfort1, and /warp ashhf1. Can I remove them?

- There's a little section of the road between the Kingsroad and Ashwood that seems like it was accidentally painted over (the dirt slabs are still there, but the road is not).

Other than those things, excellent work! :D I love how the project turned out, it's really brought a lot of immersion to the eastern barrowlands and WH surrounds. Once you fix the above issues, I'll post-approve.