Opaco123 Builder Application

Opaco123

Poet

United States

Found this server by looking for A Song of Ice and Fire Minecraft builds, especially castles. I was very happy when I found a whole server recreating the entirety of Westeros.

I loved the Inheritance Cycle as well as Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Love Tyrion as both a voice of reason as well as a character who's done with everyone else's shit.

I love medieval history and have even taken college classes about medieval history. I also consider myself a little bit artistic and have unique ideas of design. I can bring a voice of both medieval realism, when it's needed, as well as fantasy exceptionalism when it's wanted.

I love castles, fantasy and realistic. I especially love building them, adding bits of your own style into a tried and true form of both beauty and imposing form. The general medieval aesthetic is really appealing and I would honestly have fun creating a variety of buildings, from forts to walls to outhouses.

I apologize for my terrible 6th grade skin. I cannot remember my security questions to change it.

YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

Last edited:

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hey Opaco,

Thanks for applying!

Good job-- I like this house!

You've nailed most everything, so nice one. Some things to look out for-- I don't like the staggered overhanging with a gap then a stair block, and believe most people would feel the same way. You can use a half block underneath an overhang to keep the otherwise elegant facade. You made some furnishing choices which look a bit modern such as cabinetry suspended on walls which we'd see in modern kitchens.

I'm happy for you to proceed straight to another challenge. Please take a look at /warp Duskendale and build a house in the style found there. Please do not seek to build in the style found in sprawl/ the slums as these are overly simple and may not best reflect your building skills.

Good luck!

V

Opaco123

Poet
Hey Veggie,

Sorry I haven't responded or anything for a while. I've been really busy with school and college application stuff and I haven't been able to play video games at all recently, let alone Westeroscraft. I'm not sure I'll be able to get this build done anytime soon. If it's possible, I'd like to postpone my application and take it up again a little bit later, maybe mid-December when I get on break.

Thanks,
Opaco

Opaco123

Poet
I'm back! Hopefully we can just continue where we left off. I built this Duskendale house. It's more akin to the style found on the side of the river closest to the castle. It's a little big, but I had already made my stone base by the time I realized this so I just let it go. Let me know what you think!

Well looking through the photos again I see a bunch of issues that are obvious and I'm now totally facepalming. I apologize in advance for overusing bookshelves and not covering the sides of some of said bookshelves. I put the shutter on the attic window on the wrong side, and forgot to put variations in the stone making the backyard wall. I also should have used wall blocks instead of full blocks under the curved first floor window in the back. You can probably catch more stuff but these are the things that immediately come to my mind.

Another edit sorry: My in-game name is dragon_rider_101 btw. I know it would be confusing considering my username for this forum is different.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzaarr

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hey, sorry Opaco.

Been busy with real life stuff.

Looks great-- always difficult to judge these row houses without them being in situ against other ones. Looks like a decent attempt from the outside.

Some things to be mindful of for your next challenge;

Exteriors

1. Proportions-- I'd say that each floor is one block too tall on this building, with the ground floor being 2 blocks too tall. I believe most houses at Duskendale employ a typical 3 blocks tall each floor style, with some of the row houses extending to 4 at the most, with 5 being rare.
  2. Use of glass in abundance doesn't typically sit well with me. I would concede that glass is used somewhat liberally in Duskendale, so can excuse it here, but something certainly to be mindful of.

Interiors

1. Be sure to cover multi-facing blocks. By this I mean that blocks like drawers and crafting tables have the same face on each side, so be sure to cover one of these up. The best way is with another complimentary block, but half doors can be used effectively.
  2. Don't just throw beds around-- it's difficult in such a big house, I understand. One way to tackle this can be to break big houses up into multiple dwellings. For example a commercial space downstairs for a tradesman, with several tenements above for a number of families.
  3. Bookshelves in abundance-- most peasantry couldn't read, and those that could would have found books quite expensive things. Be sure to limit these in the future.
  4. Class-based furnishings. This house seems to straddle betweeen poor and high class, be sure to define it better. Furnishings should either hint at poverty or at comfortable living, this does both.
  5. Some spaces not being used effectively such as the landing half way down the album.
  6. Repetitive furnishings. In the attic space the beds separated by drawers looks less like meaningful furnishing and more like just trying to fill the space.
Good attempt-- for your next challenge build a house in the style of Whitegrove. Be sure to take a good look around before tackling it.

Opaco123

Poet
My Whitegrove House:

I tried to make the interior more consistent. This was my first strictly low income house.

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hey man,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you— I work at a university and the last few weeks have been crazy with the current Corona problem!

You nailed the older white grove style— I forgot that this build was WIP at the time so there were two conflicting styles!

There isn’t really anything I can fault! Some things to be mindful of in comparison to more modern building styles; we seem to have moved away from one block overhangs on smaller houses like this, and the dome-like straw roofing is also something now seldom seen.

Have a go at building a house you’d find at your favourite Riverlands project— be sure to pick one of the newer ones. Fair market is always a decent choice but feel free to look elsewhere.

veggie

Opaco123

Poet
Hey Veggie,

I was definitely confused with White Harbor, sort of had to guess which style to base my house on, but all's well that ends well! I definitely feel the chaos that comes with corona and university.

Anyway, I finished my Riverlands home. It's a high class tailor, making garments in Fairmarket for wealthy lords and ladies. This house was actually really fun to build, and I enjoyed using bricks for the first time. I think I got a better hang of using space effectively, though I think the showroom is a bit big. Let me know what you think!

Also I've built a small castle and started a town. I know it's not part of my application, but I was wondering if you could take a look and let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Veggie

The Old Bear
Consider yourself a builder, good job :)

Good use of space, some overuse of blocks like books (they were super expensive!) but otherwise I think it's solid. You'll develop your own go-to styles and furnishing choices the more you build!

Love your castles, love the stone one!

If you don't manage to catch me in game, ask a mod to promote you for building permissions.

Be sure to make yourself a probation thread!