Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
emmanujose234

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
Brazil

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I like, besides the different characters presented in the series and books, the worldbuilding aspect of it. I personally feel that Martin, the genius he is, conceptualized a believable world: the geography, the cities, the states, the different factions on Westeros and Essos, plus the cultural beliefs and mythos that are deeply involved in the people's mindset. It's just *chef's kiss*. My favorite character so far is Sansa Stark - i think it was she, from all the characters, that developed the most. Her journey was not an easy one and she made many mistakes, but i hope (in the books at least, we don't talk about 8th season from the series here, no, no) that she'll oversmart Littlefinger and be aware of his doings on the fall of her house. A Stark is always a Stark, after all. I didn't pay much attention to the food but damn, can we talk about how huge are all the castles in ASOIAF? Winterfell is a little monster of acres, and Harrenhal? (Also Hightower??? And the Wall????) There's some lovecraftian explanation on this, I'm sure (not really, ha, ha, but anyway....).

What is your favorite build on our server?
I think my favorite building so far is Highgarden (the castle but also the town). Canonically is one if not the most beautiful castles of Westeros and you guys just nailed it. Besides making it pretty, you surrounded a town around it with houses, farms, harbors... Before knowing the server, i always looked at the concept art from The World of Ice and Fire and thought Highgarden was just like that: A pretty castle and cute fields around, but you made it to the other level. So yes, i'm totally hooked on the fairytalesque aesthetic with pointy roofs, whitewashed walls, gothic windows, extravagant gardens and courtyards, but also the smaller details that make it not just beautiful, but functional.

Why do you want to join our server?
I want to join the server because I noticed that this server takes worldbuilding very seriously, the working team is organized and you always consider how to make things in WesterosCraft believable, taking notes from canon and filling when needed. I played on other worldbuilding servers but they were not organized as you are at the moment, and to me, the primary focus of worldbuilding is, well, building, this place is paradise. Also yes, I'm very much invested in the ASOIAF/GOT world, so that's a pretty big deal to me.

And, besides my motives, considering that ASOIAF is mostly a low medieval fantasy, I am a graphic designer in college and my main field is illustration. Most inspirations of my work are from the Middle Ages & below the timeline, where i always look for references of clothing, building, customs, etc to my characters and stories. Also, I like to play medieval city builders (like Banished and Foundation - it's on steam!). I may not have much time because of studies and job, but I would be very glad to help on this project.

Finally, but not the least, you can find my artwork on: https://linktr.ee/emuium. I'm more around twitter and instagram, but i also have an art portfolio on Artstation.

2022-12-26_19.57.10.png2022-12-26_19.57.19.png2022-12-26_19.57.29.png2022-12-26_19.57.36.png2022-12-26_19.57.49.png2022-12-26_19.58.00.png2022-12-26_19.58.04.png2022-12-26_19.58.15.png2022-12-26_19.58.21.png2022-12-26_19.58.27.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Maewyn!

Thank you for taking the time to apply. I'm happy to hear of your enthusiasm for worldbuilding and your dedication to the ASOIAF universe.

First off, you need to download optifine. You can find a link to download here. You'll find that some of the previous textures will change (daub, wattle, clothesline, etc.)

Other than that issue, I see no immediate problems with your app house. Great job with including a yard space that compliments the house and its surrounding. That attention to detail will take you a long way!

For your first challenge, I would like for you to make a medium sized, middle class house in the style of /warp hammertown. Please choose a profession of your choice that reflects the class and include a yard that accommodates that profession.

Please post screenshots of your challenges here, so I may comment and provide feedback on them as we continue your application together.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

If you need to reach out to me you can do so on here (through your application thread or private messaging) as well as discord. My time zone is CST and I will try to respond as soon as possible.

Good luck on your build challenge!
RavishMeRed

Reactions: Maewyn

Maewyn

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hello, I made it!

I thought and researched about the possible professions for middle class people and I ended up choosing to build a tailor's house. It has space for his wife, two children and two apprentices. Their yard is separated in two sections: the personal one for their family use and one for the workshop.

Behind the workshop – in the yard – there is a storage room with washing basins and cleaning material to wash their clothes, and clotheslines they lift when needed to dry the clothes on. Both husband and wife are tailors themselves and they would employ a cook and a cleaning lady next door to take care of their house.

I like to imagine their oldest child is learning their craft while they plan to send their youngest to another workshop when they become old enough.

I also thought that their laundry day is different from the other townsfolk because of the amount of clothing and cloth needed to wash, so the tailor’s wife can employ the services of other women in this period to help wash and hang the clothes.

Oh, I also tried to find visual references of a tailor workshop and ended up making it based on medieval art of tailors. They have funny faces.

Last but not least, about the house itself: its terrain floor is basically a great storage room, a shed with firewood where they hang herbs/meat and a kitchen, while the first and second floor are the living quarters, with a dining room, a master bedroom for the tailor and his wife, a room for their children and a washing room.

Here’s the link with all the screenshots (I wasn't able to fit them all here):

Attachments

• me in the house yard.png
    me in the house yard.png
    904.3 KB · Views: 12
  • me in the workshop entrace.png
    me in the workshop entrace.png
    575.6 KB · Views: 12
  • me in the workshop yard.png
    me in the workshop yard.png
    557.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Die Wursttheke

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Maewyn!

Amazing work on your first challenge! Here is my feedback from what I can collect from the images you've presented:
  • While the gradient is correct, I encourage trying to avoid your gradients from starting from the bottom and going up. Take erosion and corners into consideration. We have a great guide you are more than welcome to check out at /warp gradients if you believe it could be useful.
  • Make sure the underside of your stairs has a complementary stair block to avoid the beneath view from being too square.
  • Try and implement similar door frame designs you used to access the outside for your interior door frames. This can help avoid a similar too block-like feeling.
For your next challenge, I'd like for you to make a middle-class house in the style of /warp TorTown. Profession is up to you. Please include a yard if one is needed for the profession of your choice. Also be aware of different climate/regional and cultural styles that may be present within this challenge. I wish you luck!

RavishMeRed

Maewyn

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hi!

Sorry for being two months late, I got a job and while I was studying and working in college I didn't got time to play.

My profession of choice was a glassblower. I thought it would fit nicely in Tor since there's a lot of glass and metal working there (I read the docs and visited the town). I also researched about glass blowing and the workshop was inspired by both a egyptian workshop and the renaissance venetian glasshouses. The owner of the workshop lives in a house near it. The house has space for the couple and a child. Since glass is expensive I figured out they have some wealth to spend in confort.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Maewyn!

No worries about the time span, I've been there and understand. Glad to see you're still interested in the builder application.
-
I'm extremely pleased to see you applying your knowledge and hands-on experience with this challenge. I think it adds a much deeper level of personal touch, don't you agree?
Very well, on to the feedback:

Exteriors
  • Make sure to extend the slate roof all the wall past the wall, don't stop short above it. It makes it appear as if it was cut off.
  • The gradient could still use some improving. Make sure certain blocks are not touching others outside of the gradation.
  • Accentuate the dormers to give a full visual of what you're trying to achieve.
Interiors
  • Make sure your ground has a mix. Don't use only dirt, mix it with gravel or pebbles, even stone only where it applies to the area/region.
  • The stairs leading up to the roof could use a trap door of sorts to block out the light and keep the house interior cooler. Small details like this go a long way!
This concludes my feedback. Overall very pleased with what you have created. For your next challenge, please build a low or medium class house in the style of Frost (/warp Mudburrow and /warp Leastead for examples). As always, please include a reasonable sized yard to accommodate your build and be aware of any climate/regional factors that may contribute to the overall challenge.

Good Luck! :)
-RavishMeRed

Maewyn

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hello, it's me again!

For this challenge i choose to built a herbalist's house. I saw a sizable farm in the Frost region and thought that maybe the herbalist and her husband could have a garden of their own in the yard. Their house was built near the ruins of a older one that belonged to their family a few centuries ago, whereas instead of using the stone to build their house or a storage cellar they honor their ancestors by making a small garden with their best quality herbs there.

I also researched about viking gardening and green cellar houses and saw about people cultivating crops for dye making, cooking, cloting, etc. With this in mind, in lore the couple would grow plants like hemp to their community, but also for food and medicine. I also thought it would be interesting if the herbalist had a loom outdoors, so when she's not collecting crops in the wilderness or caring her farm she would make clothing for her family.

Maewyn

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hello, it's me again!

For this challenge i choose to built a herbalist's house. I saw a sizable farm in the Frost region and thought that maybe the herbalist and her husband could have a garden of their own in the yard. Their house was built near the ruins of a older one that belonged to their family a few centuries ago, whereas instead of using the stone to build their house or a storage cellar they honor their ancestors by making a small garden with their best quality herbs there.

I also researched about viking gardening and green cellar houses and saw about people cultivating crops for dye making, cooking, cloting, etc. With this in mind, in lore the couple would grow plants like hemp to their community, but also for food and medicine. I also thought it would be interesting if the herbalist had a loom outdoors, so when she's not collecting crops in the wilderness or caring her farm she would make clothing for her family.

I almost forgot to send here but i drew some sketches from the region before building everything

Attachments

• frost sketches.jpeg
    frost sketches.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 10
  • frost sketches 2.jpeg
    frost sketches 2.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Die Wursttheke

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Maewin,

Your challenges have been exceptional. I've been very pleased with your commitment to detail, prior knowledge, and attention to server style. Consider your builder application approved! :)

Please ask a moderator in-game when you are online to be promoted to builder. The next step is to read over the New Builders Guide. Also create a probation thread on the Probation Forum.

You can start building at any open location found on the server - you can check /warp build (some of these may possibly be outdated as people forget to update it sometimes) as well as going to our dynmap and toggling the "Open Plot" filter. You can also search the forums for active projects or ask around to see which builds are open.

Also ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world so you can practice building.

A probie leader should respond to your thread within a week or so. There they will give you constructive feedback during your next month and assist in your entry into the server community as well. Once you have completed probation, you will be promoted to full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you and seeing your future creations! :D

Maewyn

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Maewin,

Your challenges have been exceptional. I've been very pleased with your commitment to detail, prior knowledge, and attention to server style. Consider your builder application approved! :)

Please ask a moderator in-game when you are online to be promoted to builder. The next step is to read over the New Builders Guide. Also create a probation thread on the Probation Forum.

You can start building at any open location found on the server - you can check /warp build (some of these may possibly be outdated as people forget to update it sometimes) as well as going to our dynmap and toggling the "Open Plot" filter. You can also search the forums for active projects or ask around to see which builds are open.

Also ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world so you can practice building.

A probie leader should respond to your thread within a week or so. There they will give you constructive feedback during your next month and assist in your entry into the server community as well. Once you have completed probation, you will be promoted to full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you and seeing your future creations! :D
Thank you so much! I'll make sure to do everything needed, I'm happy to join this community i admire since the first time i knew about it.

I hope to meet the expectations!! ^-^