Lukqs Builder Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukqs

Bard

The Netherlands

I was looking for inspiration for a new build on youtube, i found one of the westeroswalks episodes about kingslanding. I was amazed by kingslanding, everything looked great and the city was huge. So i searched it up if i could join the server so i could maybe help with building this massive project.

I really like The cronoicles of Narnia.

All of the above

Tyrion, he is my favorite character because he isn't a true hero in the series like Jon Snow, but he still is a good person and did do some amazing things (allthough he killed is own father etc).
And i think he is pretty funny sometimes.

Not really :p
But almoust every part of building i am at least okay at, i think that making interiours is the thing i am mediocre in, I am good at building houses and building smaller structures and i think i am also good at building things like keeps and castles, terraforming is also a thing a can do.

I just love the Game of Thrones series and universe, the newer builds on the server look amazing and i also look forward to the RPG server that evantually should come. And i just like building.
(i haven't read the books because i dont really like reading)

It is a low class rural house in the style of the hamlets arround Fairmarket.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:
Reactions: Wazgamer

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Lukqs,

Thanks for your application, it looks like you've got a pretty decent build style, however the application requires a house build, not a holdfast, or a keep, or whatever your build is depicting. Please update your application with a single house which would fit into our server, or your application will be rejected for not following the guidelines.

Thanks.

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Note: Don't take with shaders. If you want you can put a nice one or two in, but it becomes hard to properly judge interiors with them on, Thanks.

Reactions: Arkilstorm

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Lukas, sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you! I've been a little snowed under! I've had a look at your new images, and It's a really nice little house. I only have two bits of feedback:

- Tables inside may be a little too fancy for a house of this size and style. Perhaps just try using crates, barrels, or some more rustic-looking table.

- Try not to make the thatch roof too lumpy. A little wear and tear is good, but too much and it starts to lose its shape, and by extension it’s utility.

Without much further ado, for your first challenge build, I'd like you to build a mid-class spicer's house in Whiteharbour. Once you've built it in single-player, drop the link to the images here and i'll take a look. I promise I'll be a little more swift this time!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Lukas, thanks for your album of images, here's a little feedback I have on them:

- Fireplaces look a little strange. Consider building them into the wall where you can so they don’t end up looking too much like forges.

- The exterior palette could do with a little work. The white bricks so close to the plaster creates a jarring contrast that doesn’t look very realistic. Take a look at the palette examples at /warp whiteharbour and you’ll get a clearer picture of how the palettes work.

- Try to use less full logs in your building, both interior for the floors and outside as supports. These looks can be achieved more cleanly with stair blocks.

- Try not to put too much smoke above your chimney. Rule of thumb is to use no more than 2-3 smoke blocks to get a semi-realistic look.

- Please bear in mind that I asked you to create a middle-class house, and that should reflect the use of certain materials. Your house has glass in almost every window, which is extremely expensive. Please consider using less glass and opting for screens and shutters instead. I realise that you mentioned your house was a high-middle class one, but the reason I asked you to do a middle class one was to test your ability to balance a build, by understanding the northern culture and employing that in your build.

Despite a couple of concerns, this is well done!
For your second challenge I'd like you to build a low-class Fairmarket Style House.

As before, please post an album of the completed build here.

Good Luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Lukas,

Thanks for getting this up to quickly! I've had a look and have some more feedback:

- The Thatch is really lumpy. Consider making it a bit less so, in order to remain realistic.

- Make sure that your daub pattern is always predominantly symmetrical; the first exterior picture isn’t entirely symmetrical, especially at the top & back-side, and would make the building facade un-supported.

- Consider having your stairs enclosed with half-doors; the staircase is a bit unsafe looking.

- Make sure that all windows with wooden lintels also have oak carpet blocks at the bottom, so you don’t see the top of the daub block.

- Your drawers under the stairs aren’t reachable, and are a bit too fancy for a low class house. Also make sure that you only ever have one side of these blocks showing. I can see two sides are visible.

- The beds should probably be itchy straw beds, more than pale beds, as in lower class houses paying for dyed linen wasn’t a priority.

- Your interior walls are very patchy with jungle and oak wood planks. This type of weathering is good for exterior walls where water would mark and stain the wood, but internally it looks a bit messy.

- If you’re going to store crates or heavy objects in the roof, make sure there’s a way to get them up there. The interiors need to be practical!

Other than these few concerns, everything else looks pretty decent.

For your next Challenge build, please build a mid/high class house in the style of /warp hgtown

There's a style guide in the air, but as the town is still to be open, there's a little freedom in how you make the house. Take some inspiration from the existing houses.

Good Luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Lukas,

Sorry this got a little buried! I’ve been away most of the last week. I’ll try and take a look at this properly tomorrow or on Tuesday the latest!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Lukas, thanks for being so patient! Here's a little feedback:

- Don’t overdo it with the cobwebs, This is a house that people live in, not an out-building.

- With the stone palette below, please make sure you use the correct plaster. The plaster in use is “brownish-white plaster” not “white plaster”; the contrast is way too obvious.

- There’s fireplace ash showing through the ceiling of one of the bedrooms. Make sure that all fireplaces are in the walls, so you don’t have that problem. Also, having a fireplace in the attic isn’t really necessary. In the southern Reach the climate is very warm, and only a hearth for cooking is really needed.

- With the daub interior walls, try mixing the brownish-white plaster into the palette to make it a little more interesting.

- Don’t fix candles to the wall! It’s unrealistic.

This was a bit of a hard challenge as there isn't a specific style guide for the town, so well done with what you produced!

I'm happy your progression so far and hereby approve your application! Find me in game, or another mod and we'll promote you to probie! Please go and make a probation thread in the right sub-forum and one of the probie leaders (or myself) will oversee your builds throughout the next month!

Welcome aboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.