lounes Builder Application

lounes

Poet
What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
France

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love medieval ages since I was a kid. When I discovered GoT, I was like : omg it's MY show.
I think Goerges RR Martin made a huge work by making an entire world.
I appreciate the fact that the world seems realistic, that we are immersed in medieval times. i also like the research and the complexity of Westeros (and even Essos aha). By doing this, Martin made his universe almost realistic.
So, the diversity of environment, history and houses, the diversity of quests, intrigues and mystery... is what made me love GoT

My favorite character would be bran. it's so sad the show messed up with him. I chose him because I wish I had his power : see the past. My favorite battle scene is between the Starks and Ramsay Bolton.

What is your favorite build on our server?
it's too hard to chooseee. like, everyday I discover new buildings, Easter eggs, ... So I'm just gonna give a fav' list I made aha : Whitegrove / longtable / Crayne / gaunt / ironoaks / uffering / Cockshaw / Bandallon / Ciderhall / whiteharbor /lowther / rollingford / whitchisle / redlake / hornhill / rousemont / holyhall / duskendale / and many more.

I don't know exactly what I like about these buildings, but I think the styles of the castles are quite related. I must say that my favorite region is the reach. The style is quite similar to French castles.

Why do you want to join our server?
Well, I know this server for 4 or 5 years. At the time, I was watching dukonred1's videos about medieval stuff, and then I discovered dutchguard's videos on wc, etc... I even bought Minecraft Java to play to this server aha. Medieval is the only style I like, soooo this server is exactly what I'm searching. Also, I'd really like to help you to reach your goal.

the skills I could bring to your team :
- my knowledge (I made some researches about medieval ages + I had classes this year about medieval times, it was about "family law" so idk if its helpful)
- I have a huuuuuuugggeeeee list of castles (mostly from france, but also some in Europe) that could be an inspiration for the project leaders
- as I said, my help. maybe for now I need to improve my build but maybe later ? idk

the link for the application build
https://imgur.com/gallery/2zslFlY

n.pngd.pngh.pngg.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow :°

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey lounes,

Thanks for the application, and thanks for your patience with the delay! Busy time for me right now. Will try to reply to future updates in a quicker fashion, though.

Gorgeous first build, though! I really don't have any substantive feedback to give on this house - the gradient, layout, etc. are all really nicely done. The house would fit perfectly in Duskendale as-is.

If I were to be really picky, I would say that the palette of the wall segment behind the house is a bit too busy. One rule of thumb that I try to follow is that the complexity of a gradient should scale with the surface area that it's being applied to - so with a small wall segment, you should aim for lower complexity, i.e. fewer distinct block types or fewer "splotches" of brown. But it's not bad, and different people have different tastes, so I'm not going to stress it too much.

Also, for future builds, please make sure to include pictures of the interiors as well as exteriors! We try to value both of those aspects of house design equally on the server.

Let's head up North for the first challenge build: please make a middle-class house in the style of White Harbor (some middle class examples are located in the southwest of the city). Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Reactions: ContraBlonde

lounes

Poet
Hi !
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate.
About my application build, i shared an imgur link with all the pictures (loading pics on the thread was too long, I have a bad connection sorry).
Also, I’ll try to apply your comments about the wall behind !

Anyways, I’ll get right on my first challenge !

lounes:))

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Ah sorry, my eyes skimmed over that link somehow! Some additional feedback on the ints:

- You should avoid putting candles horizontally on the walls; since we don't have a candle sconce texture, it just looks unrealistic (since the candle would fall when the wax melts). It's better to put them vertically on surfaces or candle holders (e.g. fence blocks).

- I wouldn't use the black wool carpet here, as it looks a bit too obviously like wool. We do have a custom metal pan texture, though.

- You shouldn't use the "glass candle" textures; those are meant to be a texture specific to the Citadel in Oldtown, where the canon mentions magical glass candles held by the maesters. Since presumably these are a rare arcane artifact, they wouldn't be present in houses (I'm assuming you're using them to represent glass bottles or something - for that you should just use the glass flagon blocks).

- I actually don't mind the red lanterns. They're usually used to represent brothels, so you don't want to use them too commonly, but they're nice for representing the mood of a dimly lit flickering lantern in some dingy tunnel or cellar.

Otherwise, the ints also look very nice :) Good job.

lounes

Poet
Ah sorry, my eyes skimmed over that link somehow! Some additional feedback on the ints:

- You should avoid putting candles horizontally on the walls; since we don't have a candle sconce texture, it just looks unrealistic (since the candle would fall when the wax melts). It's better to put them vertically on surfaces or candle holders (e.g. fence blocks).

- I wouldn't use the black wool carpet here, as it looks a bit too obviously like wool. We do have a custom metal pan texture, though.

- You shouldn't use the "glass candle" textures; those are meant to be a texture specific to the Citadel in Oldtown, where the canon mentions magical glass candles held by the maesters. Since presumably these are a rare arcane artifact, they wouldn't be present in houses (I'm assuming you're using them to represent glass bottles or something - for that you should just use the glass flagon blocks).

- I actually don't mind the red lanterns. They're usually used to represent brothels, so you don't want to use them too commonly, but they're nice for representing the mood of a dimly lit flickering lantern in some dingy tunnel or cellar.

Otherwise, the ints also look very nice :) Good job.
Again, thank you for your feedback, I reallyyy appreciate

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey lounes,

Another very nice house, good job :) I'd say it's on the larger side for a pure middle-class house, and has some fancy elements like the porch with the columns that probably wouldn't be present in middle-class, but I think can be interpreted as high class based on the backstory. Here's some of the feedback that I have this time:

- I like that you're being adventurous with the house layouts and trying new things - that's a good sign in a builder. In this case though, I think it might be a little bit much, particularly on the front side. I think the split in the wood overhang, with one part of it being a different height than the other, looks a bit strange. I think the elements that you have are nice, but could use a little bit of rearranging to flow better and look less busy.

- The gradient on the house could also be a bit smoother. For instance, on this side there's multiple small chunks of the white plaster block. However, in WH the white plaster block should be used in larger continuous areas (representing fully whitewashed/plastered bits). The gray stone blocks should only really be used towards the very bottom of the house (where dirt from the road would splatter) and should never be surrounded on all sides by the white bricks. Even for the three types of white brick/cobble being used, you don't want to mix these together randomly, but rather do smooth transitions between them.

My usual thought process for doing gradients is this: first, build the house in a single primary block, representing the actual material the house was built with. If your house layout is good, it should look interesting enough even before you do the gradient. Then, start adding secondary blocks in areas where the building material would get "corroded". For instance, using the cobble to show weathered brick, or using the gray bricks to show dirt. There's one particular wall in /warp gradient which shows an example of this process.

- For such a small yard, you should avoid making it overly slabbed. I'd just flatten it. You already have a retaining wall for the hill, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

- Overall the interiors look very nice to me; no major feedback to give there! One minor thing, I'm a bit confused by what's going on in the corner here. I assumed they're supposed to be stacked chairs, but it just looks like the top one is floating on the other.

As before, let me know if you have any questions about the feedback, or if there's anything I can explain more. For the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp wyltown. Good luck!

lounes

Poet
Hey lounes,

Another very nice house, good job :) I'd say it's on the larger side for a pure middle-class house, and has some fancy elements like the porch with the columns that probably wouldn't be present in middle-class, but I think can be interpreted as high class based on the backstory. Here's some of the feedback that I have this time:

- I like that you're being adventurous with the house layouts and trying new things - that's a good sign in a builder. In this case though, I think it might be a little bit much, particularly on the front side. I think the split in the wood overhang, with one part of it being a different height than the other, looks a bit strange. I think the elements that you have are nice, but could use a little bit of rearranging to flow better and look less busy.

- The gradient on the house could also be a bit smoother. For instance, on this side there's multiple small chunks of the white plaster block. However, in WH the white plaster block should be used in larger continuous areas (representing fully whitewashed/plastered bits). The gray stone blocks should only really be used towards the very bottom of the house (where dirt from the road would splatter) and should never be surrounded on all sides by the white bricks. Even for the three types of white brick/cobble being used, you don't want to mix these together randomly, but rather do smooth transitions between them.

My usual thought process for doing gradients is this: first, build the house in a single primary block, representing the actual material the house was built with. If your house layout is good, it should look interesting enough even before you do the gradient. Then, start adding secondary blocks in areas where the building material would get "corroded". For instance, using the cobble to show weathered brick, or using the gray bricks to show dirt. There's one particular wall in /warp gradient which shows an example of this process.

- For such a small yard, you should avoid making it overly slabbed. I'd just flatten it. You already have a retaining wall for the hill, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

- Overall the interiors look very nice to me; no major feedback to give there! One minor thing, I'm a bit confused by what's going on in the corner here. I assumed they're supposed to be stacked chairs, but it just looks like the top one is floating on the other.

As before, let me know if you have any questions about the feedback, or if there's anything I can explain more. For the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp wyltown. Good luck!

Hey, thank you for your remarks.
i forgot to mention that, when I created this house, the idea was to rework a richer house. it would have changed because of a new and poorer owner (for example the shop did not shape the building, but it adapted to it ; also, the fact that the walls are quite in bad condition ; the fact that the porch is only used to dry clothes, and not to show the wealth anymore ; the layout of the different rooms....).
Anyways, I knew my building were too large, but I wasn't very confortable with this style (even tho I like it)
About the gradient, I think I'm really bad at this (you'll see in the next challenge, im still unsatisfied). I couldn't really explain why, but it depends on the style. In Duskendale, I just love it, and to me, it works pretty well, but in the north, or in Dorne, it's... messy.
Finally, about the stacked chairs, I saw that on many buildings, but I didn't remember how to make it, so I just improvised (lol). I totally agree it's weird, but do u have any tips to make it look better ?.

lounès :)

Reactions: Emoticone11

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Happy to help with the gradient next time I catch you in-game - I haven't been able to get on much recently due to IRL work, but should have some more free time coming up soon.

About the stacked chairs, I'm not sure off the top of my head - I don't recall the specific design you're referencing so I would have to see it. Might be something other builders could help answer though.

Reactions: lounes

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey lounes,

Wonderful job on the house! You said you were having some issues with the gradient in this style, but I actually think it turned out quite fine.

I don't really have any particular feedback to give here, so I think we're nearing the end :) For a tentative final challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. The style is kinda similar to Duskendale in some ways, but a bit more colorful. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Once you're done with your Builder application, I would like to become your probation leader, Feel free to Tag me in your probation thread once you create one.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey lounes,

Wonderful job on this house! :) I like that you gave it an interesting shape/layout, but it also doesn't seem too busy. The only thing I have to critique this time is the massive garage door structure on the front of the house - perhaps I'm missing something important or part of the interiors, but it doesn't make much sense to me. I believe carts/wagons would typically be kept outdoors or at a stables.

Otherwise, seems to be fully up to Fairmarket standards, so consider yourself approved :)

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. The New Builder guide can be found here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum.

You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it sometimes gets outdated as people forget to update it, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings. Currently, I believe there's plots open at /warp rhymerton, /warp brandybottom, /warp starpikehf1, and potentially some interesting KL-related building opportunities soon (stay tuned). You can also build at /warp probieground in the Test world if you just wanna experiment with stuff.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so, and help give constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general (although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods). At the end, you'll be made full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi lounes,

That’s up to you. If you won’t be able to get on at all until you’re back, I’d wait until you get back to make the thread. If you want to come on the server a little bit now but just can’t spend much time online, you might still want to make the thread now so you can get started with the new builder process.