Walter_the_III

Messenger
What is your Minecraft username?
liamdub

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
Netherlands

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love the fantasy genre, I read the books, watched the show (hoping the ending in the books are going to be better, if they ever come out). Have been a big fan since 2015 and am very well knowledgeable about the lore of Westeros and beyond.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I really liked Castely Rock, but I love the design of the Sept of Baelor (before blowing up).

Why do you want to join our server?
I have some free time and would like to help build from time to time.

Screenshot (50).pngScreenshot (51).pngScreenshot (52).pngScreenshot (53).pngScreenshot (54).pngScreenshot (55).pngScreenshot (56).pngScreenshot (57).png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow. In addition, I inverted the house design as it was more fitting to the landscape.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Liamdub,
Thanks for completing this application, and for your patience while we took the time to review it.

Nice work with replicating the application house, and I like the small touches you've made to added to help it fit into the region. As I hope you can tell ,we try to put as much detail and signs of life as we can into every single building on the server. Hopefully through this application process you'll see how this approach is carried across our different projects and styles.

You're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make next. For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp tarbeck and share screenshots of it in this thread.

Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Tarbeck town. It would be great if you could add a yard to it too.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the Tarbeck style.

Good luck!

Reactions: Walter_the_III

Walter_the_III

Messenger
Hey CashBanks,

Thank you for your input on my application! I listened and took your advice and had a read at the basic building guide. I made the bottom row of my foundation darker as I would imagine that it would be dirtier due to pedestrian filth! I aimed to be as realistic as I could, so let me know how I did.

Edit: I went back to it again for another go and upgraded, I made it a tad better. Should have I done a thatched roof or is the jungle wood stairs fine? (I was a bit confused on what is specifically was considered poor farmers house). I also turned up the FOV when screenshotting the indoors so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.

Edit 2: Had my name changed from Liamdub to Walter_the_III, since I prefer not using my real name online.

I had a look at the Tarbeck style and I think I get the idea, I started off like this and would like to hear your feedback. Let me know if there is something you think I could have added or should have removed.

I couldn't add all the pics I wanted to so I added all the images to a google doc if that is okay, let me know if you want it in another way. Hope you like it and hear from you soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffjunior77

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Walter, thanks for completing this Tarbeck house and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

On the whole you've done a nice job, the shape, look and feel of the house is largely consistent with the Tarbeck style.

I'd only suggest a few changes to make it a little more consistent with the Tarbeck style.

- Seems like you've added a few Vivid Dark Sandstone bricks to the base level of the house, generally this sort of style can work but it looks a little out of step with the Tarbeck style to have that many.
1648195370828.png

Here's an example where they've used the mossy sandstone for most of the base, as well as some mud plaster blocks higher up.

2022-03-25_18.59.07.png
Not a huge issue, just worth noting.

- When adding vine blocks to walls, I also like to add a leaf block bush on the ground to show where its growing from and naturalise it a bit more.

- When plotting out the shape of a yard brick wall, we generally encourage using straight linear lines (i.e. like a square shape), to avoid the "bubble yard" effect.

- The interior design is looking good too, I would just suggest putting in a support beam for the upstairs landing
1648249835437.png

Otherwise I like all the small details you've added to the interior of the house and the yard and things like the small jumbles to the thatch roof.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class professional house in the White Harbor style of /warp gullsgate (the general style in the sprawl outside the main city walls). Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor and residence upstairs, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Note in the post which profession you go with.

Thanks again and good luck!

Walter_the_III

Messenger
Hey CashBanks,

Thank you for your feedback on my build, I'm glad you liked it and that I was able to catch the general idea behind the Tarbeck style. I initially had a support beam where you pointed, but had removed it fearing it would make the interior seem cramped ':) as well as thank you for letting me know about the base level, leaf block bush idea and "bubble yard" effect - all duly noted!

As per your challenge request, I built a middle class professional house with the White Harbor style but for the life of me, I couldn't decide whether to use the white or grey pallet so I used the grey pallet (I was fearing that using whitewashed walls would be upper class). The design is inspired by the build X:2251, Z:2134 however, instead of a grocery, I made a bakery. I also added leaf bush blocks and the guide from /warp oldstyleguides.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x5g6entAw3ICOk5ux0uYwlrUohTkeamYUW2BA3HuJ9w/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what I did good and where I can improve. Thank you again and hear from you soon!

All the best!

Walter

Last edited:
Reactions: Gealrüable

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Walter,

House is looking good, a baker was a good choice for profession and the house overall aligns with the White Harbor style around Gullsgate.

Just a few small suggestions:
- When using these multi-sided utensil blocks, we try to use half doors/other blocks so that only one side of the block is visible.
1648599675020.png

I believe the brick palette around White Harbor generally uses Small Smooth Stone Brick, instead of the Small Stone Brick.

Small Stone Brick vs Small Smooth Stone Brick
1648614568407.png2022-03-30_15.29.57.png

It's tricky to know exactly which block to use when you're replicating it across to a singleplayer map and trying to find it in the inventory, I find taking screen shots, and using the "Pick Block" button to add blocks to my inventory to check their name helpful.

All projects will usually have a styleguide (like Whiteharbor's below) that will show you which blocks to use.

2022-03-30_11.20.25.png

Lastly, when adding another floor to a building, it's good to use rows of stairs create the effect of floor rafter cross beams. It's best to have these cross beams span the shortest width of the house, rather than the length (this means the beams are shorter/more structurally sound).
2022-03-30_11.30.22.png/.

Well done overall though, for your (tentatively) last challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of Highgarden, (take a look around /warp hgtown). As with this White Harbor house, it should have a profession/business on the bottom level e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith, and a yard would be great as well.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Attachments

• 1648599719011.png
    1648599719011.png
    304.1 KB · Views: 9

Walter_the_III

Messenger
Hey CashBanks,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions - I kept them in mind while doing my last build.

Admittedly, I had some challenges with the interior of this build, but I took my time and I think this is my best work so far. This time I made Blacksmith from HighGarden Town. You can find the images in the same google doc link from the previous posts. I hope I was able to avoid the "bubbleyard" effect. I hope you like it and I look forward to hearing your feedback. Thank you again for reviewing and setting the challenges, they were fun to build!

Let me know what I did good and where I can improve. Thank you again and hear from you soon!

All the best!

Walter

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Great work Walter! You've really nailed all the small details and made a charming blacksmith.

I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

You can also toggle open plot markers on the dynmap mc.westeroscraft.com

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond.

I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.