KL Update Map and Guide - Update 8 March 2021 (New Districts)

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member

Guides
Check out /warp klupdate for some examples of updated houses and block palettes

We're using a three colour system of classifying houses as either green, orange or red depending on the level of work required to bring them up to the current server standard, as follows.

Green
  • Would take <15 minutes work to be acceptable by current server standards
  • Updating consists of simple tasks such as replacing windows, fixing gradients, adding new daub and wattle blocks, removing overhangs and logs etc
  • Likely between 5-30% of houses (dependent on district).
Orange
  • Would take 15-30 minutes work to be acceptable by current server standards
  • Updating is more extensive than green and entails fixing daub and wattle patterns, changing facades and roof shapes, fixing outdated interiors etc
  • The majority of houses will fall into this category
Red
  • Would take >30 minutes work to be acceptable by current server standards (if not much longer)
  • Updating would be considered more difficult than redo/massive overhaul
  • Houses that would meet criteria to be classified as red include houses with unusual roof/facade shapes, very poor exteriors, very poor/difficult to quickly update interiors and houses that have an extensive combination of problems that would take an excessively long time to resolve
  • Also may include houses that are outdated for other reasons (i.e. some of the tiny shacks that are scattered through the city, which would be easier to be redone entirely or replaced with yards/industry)
  • Likely between 20-30% of houses (dependent on district)
Clusters
  • Houses can be grouped into clusters that can all be updated by the same builder at once so they can be organically blended together.
Paintings
  • World Edit doesn't copy paintings when things are copy/pasted. If you use a painting in your house (inc. shields/chains in low class houses), these will need to be replaced when the house is copied back into the main world. If you have used paintings, tag the house with a copper block and details of the painting in case somebody else needs to replace it for you later

• 1604738414893.png
Road Mix
  • TBC!

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Update 8 March 2021
Just a quick update here to say thanks for everyone who's lead a district update or otherwise contributed to the KL Remaster.
We've split up some districts to make them a little more manageable as project apps, see the new map below.

Sub(?)-Districts can be applied for individually, or if you're feeling brave/have a compelling argument you can apply for multiple adjacent ones.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hey, I've just came across a bit of lore/canon that is pretty important. I remember the Street of Sisters being described as 'straight as an arrow' and so looked into it more. Jaeharys essentially bulldozed a lot of twisty streets and houses to do some urban planning and restoration like good kings do :p .
The creation of the Dragon Square was the main result of this, along with four straight streets that go off from it. The Muddy Way doesn't directly come off the dragonsquare but shortly after it and heads towards Fishmongers Square (currently left hand side border of 28 and right side of 32), The Street of Sisters links Baelors to the Dragonpit. Currently our one twists a bit and then does a hook turn into the dragonsquare. This could be fixed as the district outside of the dragon square hasnt been refurbished with updated houses yet.
The Gods Way and Kings Way aren't named in terms of position but one can assume that the Gods = Godsgate->dragonsquare and Kings = Dragonsquare to RK.

Currently there is still time to iron out the current kinks in these.

However, I understand if this is not going to be done so that KL feels larger than it is, due to working at 1/4 of the scale

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I've created a map showing current progress of the remaster, since it's a bit hard to tell from the Dynmap. Orange shows WIP districts, while blue shows finished (but not yet post-approved) districts, according to the process described here. Overall, we've covered more of KL so far than I realized! Looks to be close to 1/3 of the house-covered area.

For anyone leading a district which is done but still colored orange in the map, feel free to prepare it according to the process described in the link above and ask a mod to look at it. Also, you're free and encouraged to continue making changes to your district even once the houses are done (obviously within reason and being respectful by notifying builders before making any major changes to their stuff). Walk down all the small alleyways and make sure everything looks as good as possible. The success of the KL remaster depends in large part on the district leaders' abilities to be the "glue" that (a) makes the individual buildings and styles within their district cohesive with each other, and (b) makes the style of the district cohesive with other districts.

KLCompletion1.png

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Is it okay to mention here that isn't the street of sisters (running between Rhaenys' and Visenya's hills/Baelor's and Dragonpit) meant to be 'straight as an arrow'? I've been wondering if this update of KL would fix up that issue a bit? a possible way to do so would be to include the plaza outside the dragonpit iirc mentioned in Fire and Blood, so that its straight between the hills, then can diverge to separate buildings.?
Am I making sense?

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Is it okay to mention here that isn't the street of sisters (running between Rhaenys' and Visenya's hills/Baelor's and Dragonpit) meant to be 'straight as an arrow'? I've been wondering if this update of KL would fix up that issue a bit? a possible way to do so would be to include the plaza outside the dragonpit iirc mentioned in Fire and Blood, so that its straight between the hills, then can diverge to separate buildings.?
Am I making sense?
Hey Aeks, saw the melons along the street you were talking about in game. I do believe this is a canon issue that we should address relatively soon.

I came up with a proposal on how we could start to fix this situation.

Instead of bulldozing a lot of houses and potentially interfering with districts like the Dragonsquare, which depend on the placement of the current roads, we could create an easier transition between the ends of the Street of Sisters.

My proposal would be to add an intersection at the merging streets, the section connecting the square to the Dragonpit would feature a collinade or long section building up to the site. This, in my opinion would be the most optimal as to avoid large nuking of wip districts.

Thanks, RavishMeRed

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Yes! that's a brilliant idea, Rav. Its close enough that one can say its the bottom of the hill too.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Was checking out how we can achieve this in game, using a simple //sel poly command to get a visual guide for what the result would look like, and I came across a couple issues that I feel need to be addressed.

1. Regardless of where we draw the line connecting Dragonpit to Baelors, stuff will need to be moved around and adjusted. My pervious proposal is optimal, leaving only baelors as the area of adjustment.

2. I believe this end agreement should be left up to the district leaders whos areas are affected. These individuals are: Jesuswasagirl (aino) district 13, Veggie district 21, Desmera district 22, and Jakethesnake (yekkdi) district 27.

We are updating KL as per new canon so I believe the Street of Sisters should be fixed to follow said canon and not put off until the end during fine-tuning. If this includes a much more broad discussion I also think it would be optimal to place said districts in progress and unopened districts around the road on hold (or at least the sections in contact with the road)

p.s. I am in no way wanting to advocate or lead a proposal on how to fix this issue just merely bringing up its attention

Thanks, RavishMeRed