KL Remaster Steering Committee

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey everyone,

The KL remaster has been chugging along steadily and smoothly for the past few months. Overall, I've been impressed by the level of quality, and I think the district leader system provides a good incentive for people to put effort into polishing their little slice of KL. However, there have also been some concerns about differences in personal tastes, or differences in standards/trends over time, leading to a reduction in global cohesion across KL. It's important to be constantly refining the KL style to avoid the pitfalls of the previous version, where earlier parts of the city were noticeably different from later ones. Admittedly, with everything I've got going on IRL, I haven't had as much time to do quality control on districts either as I would like.

Following suggestions from a couple builders, I've decided to create a committee for helping guide the KL remaster. This committee will be similar in spirit to the Oldtown teams, but more focused on issues of style and logistics than building itself. Specifically, the roles of this committee will be the following (at least to start with):

1. Helping to further develop and refine the KL (sub)styles described in this post, and creating style guides.

2. Helping give stylistic feedback and other quality control on in-progress KL districts.

3. Guiding discussion on particular issues related to style or canon, as necessary.

4. Giving feedback on KL district apps, although the final decision will still come down to an approving moderator.

Applications for the committee can be posted in this thread. The minimum requirement to be a member of the committee is to have completed, or to be in the process of leading, a KL district. Applicants should also have a history of being involved in the KL remaster and giving feedback on matters of style. Members will be selected after discussion by the mod team.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Heyo! I'd like to apply for the KL Committee. I've completed KL16c and am currently working on KL14. These 2 districts make up Flea Bottom and some of her surrounding areas. I have ambitions to take up more districts in the future. I also focus on primarily the KL area. I enjoy leaving feedback and helping/assisting other builders. There are so many opportunities to learn and grow from other builders.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I would like to apply to be a piece of the committee. I've done KL31 with Contra I am in the process of working on KL4 which has steadily been progressing towards completion! I have been around since the start of the Remaster and have made contributions to almost every one of the districts so far. I have already done what I can within my bounds as a regular builder to try and make sure the remaster is at its best, I would like to continue this process with other builders in the committee!

Aino

Envoy
Pronouns
she/her
I would like to apply to this committee now that it is actually going to be a thing; I have been leading KL13 for a while now and have been building in the project since the time it started. I am mostly interested in the planning/cohesion aspects of this, this is where I feel my contributions will be the strongest, however I would be happy to help in whatever way I can :)

Vinnie

Playwright
Does the formation of this committee imply that previously approved construction around the remaster is subject to re-working/demolition in the coming future?

I have also noticed that as the remaster progresses, we see increasingly refined technical and stylistic work. (Which is wonderful but causes visual lag from district to district)

I would be very much amenable to a quality control task force for the sake of global cohesion. I’m just curious as to the extent of its authority. I don’t think it’s any secret that there have been approved builds around the remaster that have gotten hate for not being up to par with higher quality builds. (I myself have a handful of builds in mind that make my eye twitch)

If this were the case, would it be the responsibility of the original builder to make corrections or the committee themself? Many people may not be aware of any desired changes by the committee if it was already approved by the district leader or if they have not been online in a while. Additionally, some builders may want to take it upon themself to make corrections without direct interference from the committee.

Holla back if ya pickin up what I’m puttin down

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Does the formation of this committee imply that previously approved construction around the remaster is subject to re-working/demolition in the coming future?

I have also noticed that as the remaster progresses, we see increasingly refined technical and stylistic work. (Which is wonderful but causes visual lag from district to district)

I would be very much amenable to a quality control task force for the sake of global cohesion. I’m just curious as to the extent of its authority. I don’t think it’s any secret that there have been approved builds around the remaster that have gotten hate for not being up to par with higher quality builds. (I myself have a handful of builds in mind that make my eye twitch)

If this were the case, would it be the responsibility of the original builder to make corrections or the committee themself? Many people may not be aware of any desired changes by the committee if it was already approved by the district leader or if they have not been online in a while. Additionally, some builders may want to take it upon themself to make corrections without direct interference from the committee.

Holla back if ya pickin up what I’m puttin down

There probably will be some re-working of the current areas necessary, but nothing, I imagine, drastically different from the approved constructions. Mostly just stylistic tweaks. My hope is that we can make every subcategorization of the KL style (i.e., by class x city region) have consistent standards for detailing, and also settle on a level of detailing that's appropriate (i.e., not too plain but also not too busy).

It will be the responsibility of the district leader to make the suggested changes whenever possible (or bring them up for broader discussion if they don't agree with the suggestions), but if a district leader has been inactive for a while the KL committee may be able to step in to make the changes. People on the committee will still need mod permission to directly change anything in another builder's district.

The approval process itself is a multi-stage process (see this thread); a district leader checking and approving houses is just the first step. After that, before and after the district is pasted back into the production map, the district leader is encouraged to continue doing sweeps through their district and changing/improving things as necessary. A district is only considered "set in stone" after the final post-approval by mods (although even then minor tweaks can still be made).

Also, just to clarify, I'll be the head of the committee and will help determine roles/responsibilities and facilitate discussions.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Sorry for the delay in getting back to those who have applied - I'd be happy to have all 4 of you on the KL team, since you've all been very active in the project. I'm going to ask Pizza to make a Discord channel for the team to help facilitate discussion.

Anyone else who's been very active in the KL remaster and who meets the criteria is welcome to apply as well; the more representation the better.