jefi2 Builder Application

jefi2

Mummer

The Netherlands

i searched for a server on google that had something to do with game of thrones because i just finishd the show until season 7 and then i found westeroscraft

Lotr, Eragon

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

Tyrion Lannister because he is just a interesting caracter. he does most of the work in kingslanding in season 2 and he gets no regenision from the rest of the smallcounsil and he maybe small but i think he is pretty cool. and his plans in the early books/serie is really fun to read/watch.

i think i can build really wel and i love Got/ASOIAF. i also know a thing or two about medieval times.

i saw the server and i found it very impressive. i just wanted to help building on the only server that is building the interty of westeros. i also would like to learn something about building in general (i think i can build good but i can always learn some new tricks). i also realy love ASOIAF an GoT in general.
(my english i'snt the best sorry for that)

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jefi2,

Thanks for the application, I'm glad to see your interest in our server!

While your build seems to grasp the high-level features we're looking for, it isn't currently up to server standards. However, I think with a bit of practice we can get you there soon enough.

I won't give super in-depth feedback this first time around, but will instead give very general (but quite important) feedback: try to give your houses some sort of coherent structure. You want to think of architecture here (how are houses typically built? Would some particular thing be stable? What do rooves typically look like?) as well as function (what do the interiors need to have? What rooms would be in a typical house? What kind of furnishings correspond to the wealth/poverty of the residents?).

Always avoid adding detail just for the sake of adding detail. The stone borders on the roof are an example. They don't really serve a purpose and aren't realistic. Likewise, try to avoid "framing" your house with logs (in general, don't use the full log blocks in houses, they just look pretty clunky) or having large indents/extruded areas.

Before continuing with this app, I would recommend spending some time around some of our newer builds (for example: King's Landing (esp. /warp klsprawl), White Harbor, Highgarden, Fairmarket, Stoney Sept, Uffering, Bandallon, Westbrook etc) and studying how we build. Specifically, things like interior layouts, furnishings, roof angles, palettes, etc. Try to have an eye for detail. One thing that helps is finding some specific houses that you particularly like, taking screenshots of them, and combining elements from those houses into your own original house (and then, as you get more confident, you can experiment more). Lastly, a couple helpful warps for learning more are /warp gradients and /warp furnish.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about anything I said above! I'm happy to help. When you've experimented with some of the styles above and feel ready to continue this app, post some images of the house which you feel most confident in (make sure to include enough screenshots of the interior so I can get a good sense of it). Good luck!

jefi2

Mummer
So what i have to is to build another house with full interior and use the tips you gave
(Just checking so i dont build something umnesesery)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
So what i have to is to build another house with full interior and use the tips you gave
(Just checking so i dont build something umnesesery)

Yessir. I do recommend taking some to make at least a few houses to really get the hang of it though (I promise it won't be wasted work), but when you're ready you only need to submit the one house you're happiest with.

jefi2

Mummer
i did some research and i have made a house with a herb shop on the main floor. it is a house for rich people becauce in the netherlands atleast people who sold herbs in the medieval period made a lot of money. if the pictures are unclear please tell me.

Reactions: nubcaker

jefi2

Mummer
No it is not. I is a cooking fire so the residents can cook their large meat. I saw that on in a recreated medieval house somewhere in england.

Enah

Skinchanger
Once people had chimneys they had no more need for the hearth being out in the middle few the room, it's what led to houses having proper second stories. Yes medieval homes had them, however, they also need proper smoke ventilation which means you cant have a floor above. I am a fan of them, however, it looked to me from your screenshot that it was fire spreading across the floor. Also, to portray a proper cooking on a spit like you are showing, the food needs to be off to the side, otherwise it wont cook through and will burn due to grease dripping, which would've been captured by a pan beneath and used in other foods like sauces or puddings

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I'll post my feedback and give another challenge build once I have some time to go through apps. Please be patient!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jefi,

Thanks for being patient! Your house seems like a definite improvement. You did a great job with the daub & wattle and roof this time around. I'll jump right into feedback:

- You can use the "plain white daub" block in the daub & wattle in small amounts, it helps make the borders seem a bit less heavy. See here for an example of a house which does this well.

- Fence windows are considered a bit outdated now. Really, unless a house can afford glass, a window should just be an open hole which can be covered up with a shutter block. If you have a window in the stone foundation, you can use one of the "window" arrow slit blocks - look up "Light Grey Stone Arrow Slit Window".

- Be mindful of how you do hanging stuff. In the front of the house, you have hanging herbs, which uses the rope texture, hanging from a chain harness which doesn't even connect. Use the "vertical rope" block above the herbs. Also, the lantern just to the right of that is floating.

- Make sure to do a stone gradient on the base of the house! Again, check out /warp gradient for help there.

- The amount of smoke coming from the chimney is way too much for an ordinary house kitchen, it should just be a puff or two.

While the exteriors in this house are pretty decent, the interiors still need a lot of work. I can't address all of the things, but some of the major ones:

- Overall, the rooms either feel too empty or way too cramped (in the kitchen, for example, the table takes up the entire space; it's impossible to get around it without jumping on something).

- The kitchen has three separate fireplaces/furnaces - that's way too over the top. Although the central fire pit is an interesting concept (indeed, this is often done in more rustic/rural houses on our server, especially in the North), Enahsian is correct that it wouldn't be done in a multi-story house like this. So in short, you should get rid of the fire pit and one of the furnaces/fireplaces.

- The stairs right through the middle here is rather strange. Also, you seem to have a misplaced ladder block here.

- Never have flat ceilings! I can't stress this enough. You need to have rafters supporting the ceilings, which can be done with rows of upside-down stairs and/or horizontal half slabs. Here's an example:

a0a636ce3d.png

- They wouldn't do the spice processing in the attic - they would not even be able to get all the heavy crates you have in the attic up the ladder. They would most likely have a workshop on the ground floor. In any case, try to avoid clutter as well. You want to have things organized meaningfully (such as having the herbs hanging from a rope line) and avoid "crate spam".

Anyways, sorry if this is a lot! Overall, you've made a big improvement, but all of the feedback I gave above is very important. So please feel free to ask me if you have any questions on anything and I'll be happy to help. For the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp woodwright. Good luck!

jefi2

Mummer
i can't really think of any good profesion for the owner. is there a place a can go to on the server with all the profecions?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah, check out /warp jobs.

Don’t stop there though! Use google, try to find resources on medieval life. That’s how people bring new ideas to the server.