Importing the old data

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
So here is what I thought could work:

Let our current active users enter their emails into a spreadsheet. Use the emails to build the user database with the data we were able to get out of enjin's API (which I believe includes rank tags). Use the emails to connect userIDs from the raw exported forum data with the user database. For each userID which doesn't have a corresponding email address in the spreadsheet, we pair it with one "fake" WesterosDefault user. For each user that doesn't have any posts, drop the user entirely. I'm pretty sure I could provide a python script that does that if needed.

Format the forum data according to Xenforo's import specs (https://xenforo.com/help/importing/).

Import it through some sort of black magic. Perhaps ask the Xenforo admins for some wisdom, stating that Enjin natively supports Xenforo imports but not vice versa.

Reorganize once the data is transferred.

Reactions: Dyvim

Dyvim

Storyteller
Between work, side work, and being ill, I've not been able to do much at all here.
In fact, I think I got too sidetracked trying to determine the email addresses for users, when apparently that's not really even needed.

I think the following pieces are needed, in this order:
- A list of Enjin users. Username + whatever else data Xenforo requires for a complete user profile. May not be needed if we just use a generic user for the 'archived' forum threads.
- The format Xenforo needs for user / forum import. There are multiple import methods for various forum exports, but since we can't export Enjin, is there a generic import format that would work?
- An output of the Enjin forums (scraped, whatever) in a useable format (json, xml).
- A conversion script to convert the scraped, parsed, whatever Enjin data to the compatible Xenforo input.
- The import of the users.
- The import of the forums (likely in an archive).

geeberry

Alchemist
Staff member
Admin
So to import the users we have to have email addresses, which enjin doesnt provide in any way whatsoever. I also asked directly if they could provide it to us and they straight up said no. I'm not sure what to do there.

Though at this point, I think everyone whos actually active is signed up on the new site, so we have their emails now for what its worth.

We have an output of the Enjin forums in json format

the conversion script is where we hit a snag. I think the main thing here would be finding what format it needs to be in for the xenforo input. Hwever I dont know much about databases etc so @Dyvim if you want I can give you admin access to check it out?

Dyvim

Storyteller
I've been too pressed for time to be able to commit to that, and I don't see that changing in the near future, so don't give me any access just yet, haha.
If Dan or someone else has the time to tackle the import conversion, that may well be the best avenue.

qBBQ

Street Preacher
Can usernames from the old forum be setup on the new forum that can then later be claimed by its original user? The posts of old, inactive users can also be reposted under those usernames. If an email is needed to set up these "ghost" accounts, just use a fake, temporary email. Real emails are only required for claiming. The claiming process can be via an in-game token, kind of like RSA keys.