Approved Immersion : Pilgrimage sanctuary of the Andals

Guillaaard

Herald
Hello everyone !
Me and Jake are applying for an immersion in the vale, a pilgrimage sanctuary and septry located east of Longbowhall, on the end of the peninsula.

May you be blessed by the seven on this perilous journey to the origin of the Faith on Westeros !
( click on the image to go to the app :))

Game of Thrones - The Faith of the Seven / Characters - TV Tropes
have a good read :) I hope spring and summer are good for you all !

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
I like plans and idea itself but I think putting immersion in lands of project which could be updated/redo in future is little no imagination about the future of this region, like it is not isolated island. And this hit in general idea of immersion which should be used for filling space in done project but without totally outdating rest of lands of project. Which case will happened if this immersion be placed. I repeat that I'm not against this idea just maybe you should rethink about this if this is the best place for this in case of looking rest of the surrounding lands.
Fun_

Guillaaard

Herald
Hi NMF !
those concerns are understandable.
what you said about this place not being an "island" part is interesting because, we choosed this peninsula because it had that " island potential" considering peninsula are, as they name suggest "almost" "island" ( paene "almost" "insulae" island in latin, which suggest that isolation). so in a way, it is, indeed, a big enough island in a project, climate wise and geographically wise different and away from the more plains like looking bits of Longbowhall. There is this salt marsh part we want to update, this is a high potential place we think we will do a great job on.

I also want to point out that, even if the immersion we want to do will outdate the project next/in it, which is already one of the earliest project with not a lot in it, it does in no ways interfere with someone in the future taking Longbowhall and taking inspiration from what we did for their project.
the fact is also that we in no way contradict anyone plan I think for this area, the Longbowhall lands are really big, and the Vale is also a complicate place to create, and not a lot of builder want to take out the responsability to take such vast and terraformingly difficult lands, which is understandable. we just want a tiny bit that we could make really interesting without destroying any plans. plans, which are also, always rethinkable and on the move. the idea is that the project borders could be maybe adjusted to make ways of ideas that could make a region shine, and start a creative process in it. So in a way, it does in fact, is more immaginative.

Concerning the idea that this is not how a region should be handled, I think the Vale had a lot of thought putted into it, with a lot of tests done by multiple talented builder from which we took our inspiration, so, if someone take whatever region next to it, i'm sure everything would fit perfectly. not everything on the server should be though through big projects that are hard to finish or by an hypothetic future creation that would be better, or else, it just is kind of depressing because there is not a lot of possibilities of creation for present builders. maybe there is other ways we could create as a community, with exceptions and compromise, to allow some new things along the process.
so we indeed think it is the best place, even if there is another solution but which is a bit less interesting on a creative level, this solution is the part 2 of the ones bellow :

what Jake and I propose is two solutions :
1 - The area is just big enough for it to fit an immersion by moving a bit the border and allowing new builders ( a bit like me) to fill in the space that are going to be complicated to fill, because we all know how much work is a project, terraforming-wise and ressource wise for a person.
In a way, it seems like some adjusment could be made to allow at the same time : progress, by "filling out" the land like you said, and also ,well, art and creativity by allowing people to produce interesting new bits of lands. it's a compromise for sure, but one that would bring great achievement i'm sure, and also helping whoever take the land outside of the peninsula by having a more attractive and less scary project to do in the Vale.

2 -we could move the project furthur north, there is a finger that has an abbandonned septry on it, just west of Upcliff, and it's an unamed land, with no Houses nor places that got a name, and seems like a empty space plan-wise. it would seem more logical but less interesting on a creative level as I said before.

For thoses solutions I just want to refer ourselves to Mods, who are the one who have an overall view on how things should be handled.

With regards,
Guillard

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
I think this is a really cool idea and leaning more into the faith in the vale as one of the distinctive cultural aspect of its landscape makes a lot of sense to me. Of course this is outside of the scope of a mini like this but I wanna throw the idea out there that your idea of the seven shrines leading up to the septry could be expanded into a pilgrimage from the bloody gate to the tip of the peninsula. Since it would be an important site for worshipers throughout Westeros, presumably people from the other regions of the continent would travel there too, so it would be interesting to show that physically by dotting the path from the bloody gate to the big septry at the end with smaller septries. I'm not sure if it would be too on the nose to also have seven of them and dedicate each to one of the seven but if that were the case they could be paired with their location (as in the warrior near the Bloody Gate, the smith near Ironoaks, etc.). But even if that is too much, I would certainly suggest that the future vale of arryn and the projects in the Old Anchor plane would have to show the way to this site through with an abundance of smaller sites of worship and a clear route leading there.

I would not change the location to the Upcliff peninsula because it is a lot less accessible and therefore less likely to attract pilgrims, even if it were the initial landing point of the Andals.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I love the idea of pilgrimages for the Fot7 and would love some sites founded on early places of worship, especially those with the early Andal axe symbols.
In regards to outdating Longbow hall, the immersion build is completing an otherwise untouched area as the closest developed part of the older project is Hunter's Point, across the water from the peninsula. Similar to how Old Anchor has outdated Moore by being close by, I don't think this immersion build needs to fit the style of longbow hall. The tests already use a similar palette and the overall style of the immersion build isn't hugely different from the inspirations for Longbow Hall.

However, NMF, you do make a good point about immersion builds needing to reflect their surroundings. e.g. an iron mine with sandstone palette between lyber and varner wouldn't be appropriate. The plans for this immersion build keep a lot of the original ideas for the terrain (the salt marshes and lowlands + highlands ending the mountains) while bringing them up to today's server standards.

I approve the immersion build!

F

FD001__

I think this is such a cool idea, and I love the idea of a pilgrimage site in Westeros - it makes sense.

I actually have plans and sections of early Christian churches/basilicas and willing to share material if needed (need to check if I can actually distribute scanned images first though). Church of the Holy Sepulchre is a fantastic choice to pull from, as that church has been built and added to over time that could be implemented here; a sort of ancient Andal structure deep down (I know you have this sunken sept on the coast, but there could still be some remains of ancient Andal prescence deep below), then with some structure built later during the Kingdom of Mountain and Vale, then finally additions made during the Targ era.

I love the idea of wayshrines too - maybe the location of certain shrines is reflected by their location? Stranger shrine could be cut into some gloomy/dark overhang, Maiden shrine surrounded by flowers, etc. Not sure, but that could be a neat idea.

F

FD001__

I think this lands can be owned by faith and maybe we could just cut this area form Longbowhall, as independent region like it was common in medieval that church have its own lands and possession.
That wouldn't fit with canon though, so it would still come under the lands of House Hunter. If it were separate from secular admin, it would 100% get mentioned in the books somewhere due to its religious importance.

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
May I add, that I think whether a certain part of a peninsula belongs to a house or not, really doesn't make much of a difference as to how the project actually looks like. If I remember correctly Dutch at some point said that he drew the lines on the map to designate the scope of projects and not necessarily the exact boarders of the lands belonging to certain houses. And anyway, beside physical land boarders and the odd banner in house colours, there is really nothing in game that shows where the boarders between projects are.

I also don't think that the faith being able to own land is discredited by not being mentioned in the books. In fact, isn't the Quiet Isle an example of land being owned by the faith? Since there really hasn't been a huge amount of story set in the Vale and none at all set near the location of this mini, I don't think it would be unreasonable to have the headcannon that it is faith-owned land.

F

FD001__

May I add, that I think whether a certain part of a peninsula belongs to a house or not, really doesn't make much of a difference as to how the project actually looks like. If I remember correctly Dutch at some point said that he drew the lines on the map to designate the scope of projects and not necessarily the exact boarders of the lands belonging to certain houses. And anyway, beside physical land boarders and the odd banner in house colours, there is really nothing in game that shows where the boarders between projects are.

I also don't think that the faith being able to own land is discredited by not being mentioned in the books. In fact, isn't the Quiet Isle an example of land being owned by the faith? Since there really hasn't been a huge amount of story set in the Vale and none at all set near the location of this mini, I don't think it would be unreasonable to have the headcannon that it is faith-owned land.
I agree that faith-owned land is canon, just that if there were a site that was faith-owned in the Vale I imagine that this would've been mentioned.

In fairness this is just semantics so no problem.

Reactions: Renly_Baratheon_

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I think this lands can be owned by faith and maybe we could just cut this area form Longbowhall, as independent region like it was common in medieval that church have its own lands and possession.

Project wise, ofc. Its officially something other than Longbow Hall by being an immersion build.

And to clarify, yes. The borders aren't maps of what house controls what but rather project boundaries on the map. Most borders between lordly houses would be streams and ridgelines which we often make both sides of for cohesions sake.

And the character's in the series don't really care too much about property laws and rights. If fact, are there any septries mentioned in the Vale in either AWOIAF or the main series? Its just something implied by the fact its a pious region and also has old carvings of the 7 pointed star and the axe from soon after Andal landing.
No POV character in the vale or dealing with the vale cares about its history or about the faith. At least not by the time they arrive there.

Nomorefun_

Royal Messenger
About own by faith lands and possessions just reminder you about The Faith Militant, so they could have enough power to self ruling area of land also case of Stone Sept have some information about to be own by faith in past, maybe after Faith Militant uprising against House Targaryen and outlawed armed holy men, Faith lost lands and in general their lands were granted to noble houses in region, which were more loyal to ruling House.

Reactions: Renly_Baratheon_

Guillaaard

Herald
Hi everyone !
Quick update:
Project is going steady : all the southern terra form is done, the southern moorland has started being painted. beaches and seasides terrain are progressing too, and some are done, so if you have any feedback go ahead !
Concerning the town : all the town and its outskirt have been planned, and is ready to be built, we only want to wait for Aeks approval before oppening it.

Here are some pictures of the progress made :

Guillaaard

Herald
Thanks for the beautiful coast you did and teaching me terra !
smh we sound like a divorced couple
Tho jokes apart this project is still the creative process of Jake and me, and even if I continue solo, this will be deffinitly shown in the final form it take and for good I think !

have a good day everyone :)