IDontWantIt Builder Application

phondi

Storyteller

Hungary

In a random video from a youtuber named ibxtoycat, and then proceeded to learn more from your own channel.

Not really, maybe Eragon

Game of Thrones
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

Littlefinger, because he appropriately represents the greed and the selfish aims of basically all the lords of westeros without exception. Furthermore his way of chiveing power, basically his intrigues are especially interesting.

I am quite a history and physics geek, so i would say in depicting the buildings appropriately and aesthetically.

Since i have a burning passon both for the book ,the universe and for expressing my creativity in minecraft i thought this to be a good idea. Moreover, once i heard of this project i wanted to be part of it, wanted to contribute to your wonderful work with the best i can.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zso

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey IDontWantIt
Thanks for your patience while we reviewed your app, it's great that you've got a passion for the series and minecraft.

I like this Dornish house a lot, and shows you've got a lot of potential and that you've put some thought into it's design and have explored our custom block set.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.
- You've done well with the overall layout, Dorne is a tricky style to build with and you've shown a good handle on using a variety of stone brick to make a gradient.
- All our buildings are designed by their respective class, either Low, Middle or High class, which will help guide what kinds of blocks to use. The vast majority of the houses in westeros belong to poor farmers, and we generally use blocks like bookshelves, glass bottles, glass cabinets, fancy beds etc to indicate the owner is well off. You could make the case that this Dornish house belongs to someone of middle/high class so it's not a huge issue but just something to keep in mind when working on low class houses.
- Also make sure that when you use cabinets/workbench/drawer blocks, you only leave one side of it exposed, you can cover up the other sides with half doors.
- Also we try not to mount candles on the walls since it's not exactly practical, I appreciate that you lit up the storage room for the sake of taking screenshots but they usually won't be necessary.
- You should also try to avoid using large wooden logs in builds as it tends to look a bit clunky and repetitive (we used to use them all the time on the server but the style didn't age well). You can in some cases use thin logs as support beams, but on the whole try to use planks/stone/daub blocks instead.

- Also fyi we generally use those red lanterns to designate brothels, so a regular lantern might be more appropriate here!

Otherwise though you're off to a great start.

If you haven't taken a look yet, this page has some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

For the first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks). Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

phondi

Storyteller
Thank you for your feedback, i will try to pay more attention for those details you mentioned. Also, sorry for my late response its just that i didnt realise u replied to me in this state of the forum.

here's the link for the house:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey IDontWantIt
Nice work with this Hawthorne house, I think you've done well with capturing the Hawthorne style/block palette and taking on a diagonal house is ambitious too.
The diagonal design isn't looking too bad, but here's the pattern we generally follow with diagonal houses, you won't have to worry about plotting houses yourself until you lead your own project, but just FYI
Also just with the roof edge, you'll notice that Hawthorne houses usually have a double layer of thatch stairs on the edges, e.g. here (excuse the crappy scribbles)

Since the yard is fairly large, you could mix a few regular grass blocks around the edges near the walls where people aren't walking as much just to break up all the dirt/gravel.

Overall though nice work, for your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the styleguide at the warp and the finished houses in the White Harbor area and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker). This time perhaps just do a regulars square/rectangular house so we can focus on the interior details.

Let me know if you have any questions.

phondi

Storyteller
Hi, so yeah, i think i "kinda forgot" to finish the rooftop, because i once finished it then decided to rearrange it, im not making excuses, really i should have payed more attention and i hope i didnt forget anything about this whiteharbour house. Anyways, thanks for the feedback i hope u like this.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey IDontWantIt,
Thanks for working on this White Harbor baker, you're making really good progress.
Only a few notes
- Size, layout and block choices all look good, I could see this fitting in to the White Harbor sprawl nicely.
- Interior details are nice too, the blocks seem appropriate for the wealth of a White Harbor resident.
- it's a small thing but it's nice to to make it look like the occupants are maximising the use of available space in this house. On the top floor there's the long corridor on the right where you might be able to fit a few baskets/sacs or a chest to use the space.
- This chest of drawers looks like it has two exposed sides. I suspect the right side was left exposed since it's placed next to the half door roof covering block. In this situation I would swap the half door block next to it with a basket/sac/thatch block so that it covers up the other side of the drawers and it just looks like it was squeezed in between the drawers and the roof.
- these sprawl houses would probably have a dirt/gravel ground floor as well rather than stone.
- the exterior stone gradient looks fine but you could probably add a little more cobblestone into the mix around the bottom third.
- You could also add some grain crates to that grain storage room with all the sacs.

But otherwise, well done.

Next up, have a go at a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown
The houses in the highgarden town have a bit more of a varied style so pay close attention to the style guide and have a think about a profession that would suit the area.

Good luck!

phondi

Storyteller
Hi, so thank you for the feedback, here's the hgtown middle class house, it ended up being on the bigger side but i wanted to experience with filling up bigger spaces and i dont think i did so bad, i left the ground floor dirt and gravel since i didnt create an elevated floor, plus i wanted to balance it and keep it mid class with having worse quality floor. Also i didnt give the sides too much on an attention, since the whole town seems really jammed and THICC and most of the houses not having their side shown, i just put a couple of windows for the sake of conveniance

ps.: excuse the random cabbage monster, i didnt realise he wondred in the pic before it was too late

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey IDont,
Sorry it's taken me a little while to get back to you, I'd been hoping the forums would be fixed by now as it makes posting feedback pics tricky but let's just make do.

This Ale Trader is looking good, it's an appropriate profession for Highgarden and I like the daub facade, block mix and the interior details.

Only major feedback is that it looks like you skipped adding rafters to the roof in the attic.
The rule of thumb is to avoid letting the exterior roof block be visible form inside. You can use stair blocks and half blocks to cover up the roof tiles like here:

You might also want to use a bit more variety with the storage blocks in the attic, rather than just the grain/lime crates and baskets, you could add in some grain sacs, oranges, closed baskets and definitely some pots.

Rather than get you to do another challenge build, just have a go at updating the attic with the rafters and more variety of storage blocks, post some pics then, if no issues I'll approve your app.

Thanks!

phondi

Storyteller
So even though we talked in game and did the stuff, i will post this here just to make sure

Reactions: CashBanks

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Much appreciated, and here are the next steps to follow during your probation.
Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!

Reactions: phondi