Completed House Mertyns of Mistwood

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
(Like everyone else) I love this Application, both because of the amount of preparation that went into it and the quality of the tests. Great work you two! As feedback I can mostly echo what the mods, Tham and Elduwin said above.

As it is known I like maps, I decided to do a small addition to your original map by adding in these two (dark blue) streams leading into the ocean:
RMQtDiz.jpg
I mostly connected them to streams you already planned because it bothered me that they would simply end in ponds. I know the terrain does sometimes not support a connection to the ocean too well, probably why you did this in the first place. But with the reterraforming of the rainwood ahead, I'm sure we can alter the terrain a bit and make this more realistic than it is now. And with more creeks and streams it fits the canon even better!

Concerning Thamus' reply: While you should add two thick walls in the family's living area to make it beautiful, you should not do that in the smaller buildings, walls, less important buildings. With two thick walls they sometimes get bigger than planned and most importantly this does not fit the style in my opinion: Log-Baracks or gates should not have panelling or plaster on the inside, even if this looks less aesthetic in the end.

That's my two cents.

Dartman

Bard
@Thamus_Knoward @Andy_Jones @geeberry

Thank you friends! Loras and I are taking all feedback into account and discussing it. There is so much good information here, I really see the value in this system now, with how much its helping us.

But all that aside, Thank you for feedback & constructive criticism. We will update this thread as we make more progress. Appreciate it!

SerLoras

Playwright
Another update!

Mistwood Update v1.1.1

-Updated maps!
2 new map changes to incorporate feedback regarding house classes in Mistwood town, and to add the additional rivers suggested by @Andy_Jones.​

-Improved gradients!

Gradient tests are now done in an eroded/withered style.​

-Improved towers!

Half doors have been removed from towers, and a mossy log gradient test has been added to the southwest tower per @Howy's suggestion.​

-Double-thick walls

Added an image for one of our interior tests that was using double-thick walls to hide the logs on the inside.​

-Layout adjustments
Changed the positioning of a few walls and buildings to accommodate the new square base on the tower.​

(All tests are at /warp mistwoodtest. Also check out the attached screenshots.)

Note on Double-Thick walls: I tend to agree with Andy that they are useful to hide the logs but are mostly appropriate for more upscale areas of the castle. We definitely have plans to incorporate paneling and plaster in nicer bedrooms, halls, etc., but likely will not have much of them in the outer buildings.

Last edited:

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
Thank you for this nice feedback process! I hope to work close with you on this, or at least have a look on a regular basis to make sure the first updated Rainwood region looks beautiful. Approved from me as well.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Quick one before you get started! Andy's rivermap was great but some of the rivers didn't run at the lowest points of the terrain/valley, and I think they could meander a lot more! Take a look at the Amazon or Nile and otherwise at the rivers I suggested ages ago on another Stormlands project app: https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/43.9010379,-71.6767315//@43.8950684,-71.6148055,12.73z

Make sure to take a look at pictures from the region and the google streetview snaps too!!

SerLoras

Playwright
Hey guys. Here is a quick update on what has been happening at Mistwood this week.

Mistwood Progress I

-Town Planning
Finished terraforming and road planning for the town. Houses in the town have also been fully plotted, and have been tagged with their planned professions. Farm lands north and south of town have also been plotted and tagged. Waiting for Mod approval.

-Surrounding Lands Terraform
Reterraformed much of the surrounding land to remove old trees and fill holes. Extended ridges east and west of Mistwood to provide natural defenses for the castle and town.​

-Tree Walks
Paths for tree walks have been plotted, and new Redwoods to use for the walks have been placed.​

-Other Details
The Sept of the Forest and its surrounding Godswood has been constructed east of the castle. (See the "Points of Interest" section of our original app for related canon discussion.) Additionally, the castle garden has been decorated, and the palisade wall south of town has been constructed.​

(Maps and Screenshots are attached. All changes can be found in game at /warp mistwood.)

Last edited:

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
You are doing a great job on this one!

I like the towns professions and approve it. I only feel like a herbalist is no middle class job, maybe you can switch one of the hunters for a herbalist. Instead you could consider adding a barber surgeon, as this is the only dot of "civilization" for days of travel, and we might face serious injuries with all those dangerous hunting and woodcutting jobs around.

I like the new angled bridges and your plans as well, here is a small edit I made:
Aiye3Q2.jpg
-The two red lines show two groups of bridges that are - while being angled - unrealisticly straight. I proposed an edit in white.
-The blue lines are proposed destroyed/being rebuild bridges, to change things up a bit.
-The black markers show bridges I would like to cut. For the northern ones since the main thread would come from the south and the treehouse system already is quite large, for the southern ones because they take attention away from the castle once you come around that bend of the road.
-You might want to go for straight bridges when crossing streets, as the main weakness of the angeld bridges is seen from below.

What exactly did you have in mind for the fields?They are plotted in small portions. I once proposed something like shifting cultivation as it could be a unique feature and fit the nature of the Rainwood.

SerLoras

Playwright
Plots are now open for building in Mistwood town!

Please see the style guide that is now located at /warp mistwood.

Open plots are tagged with green banners. Example houses and yards can also be found on the west side of town.

Happy building!

Ramen

Faith Militant
I feel that you've begun to extend your planned forests a bit too far south. At the moment its not really compatible with this canon from TWoIaF: "The moist green tangle of the Rainwood dominates the northern two-thirds of the cape. Farther south a broad plain opens up, rolling gently down to the Sea of Dorne." Moving the planned forest edge north to about 400 blocks from the coast would give plenty of room for the aforementioned plains.

SerLoras

Playwright
I feel that you've begun to extend your planned forests a bit too far south. At the moment its not really compatible with this canon from TWoIaF: "The moist green tangle of the Rainwood dominates the northern two-thirds of the cape. Farther south a broad plain opens up, rolling gently down to the Sea of Dorne." Moving the planned forest edge north to about 400 blocks from the coast would give plenty of room for the aforementioned plains.

Ok. I'll make some adjustments and pull some of the redwoods out to move the forest edge further north.

I'd like to keep the current forest boundary in the middle section along the main road pretty much where it is, as that lines up well with where we have planned to place the Children's Cave. It also lines up with the little point of woods that jets down southward (circled in red on the map below).

fk5424e.jpg

I think cutting back the boundary on the eastern side along the blue line is the best way to fix this. Something similar could be done on the western side as well. The peninsula shared by Kellington, Gower, and Weeping Town should make up the biggest part of the plains section IMO. The Hertston lands should also be pretty much all plains.

The biggest concern I have is that most of the lands that should be open plains really seem to belong to Weeping Town and Herston, and right now both of those builds have pretty dense tree cover that extends all the way to the coast. Terraforming the Mistwood lands to match canon right now without adjusting Weeping Town and Herston is going to look very patch work.

SerLoras

Playwright
MkzjiNF.jpg

Here is the boundary I have drawn for the southern Rainwood (in yellow). Per canon everything below the yellow line should be reterraed as "rolling hills" and plains. Perhaps they can be lightly forested rolling hills and plains to make the transition less stark.

Also the purple area is what I have in mind for the large Redwood trees. I think it makes sense for them to be consolidated in this central/southern area. The northern and western areas should be more large pines and smaller trees toward the edges.

Dartman

Bard
Quick Update:
- Town proper has made considerable progress and is wrapping up.
- Only 1 plot left in the south farming hamlet
- Castle has also made considerable progress, but we still have a lot to go. approx. 40% complete
- Surrounding lands are being terraformed (fantasticaly) by Loras. We have also starting planning locations for POI's , but are not yet ready to start plotting yet.

Overall progress is moving steadily and personally I'm quite satisfied with what we've been workin on lately.
If anyone has any advice, feedback, suggestions; We'd love to hear! Thanks.

SerLoras

Playwright
MINI-PROJECTS
(Now Open for Apps!)

If you are interested in applying please review the information about the available mini-projects below and visit the site in game using the provided warps. Tests of the major components of a mini-project are appreciated for apps. Please contact Dart or myself in game if you need any assistance.

Children’s Cave

/warp mistcave
  • Large cave complex on the road to Mistwood with multiple different chambers and tunnels. The cave was inhabited by the children of the forest and they created wall carvings and fashioned columns and other structures out of the cave walls.
  • See Canon Analysis on the cave from Arianne II in The Winds of Winter.
  • Given the presence of Children of the Forest, the cave should incorporate some weirwoods (similar to the greenseer cave, but not on as grand of scale).
  • E-Lite and some terraforming experience is recommended
Logging Hamlet 1
/warp mistham2
  • A small hamlet south-west of Mistwood on the southern edge of the Rainwood, where the the forest is less dense.
  • There should be approximately 6-8 houses and an area of forest where trees are cut down including some stumps of already chopped trees.
  • There should also be a lumber yard where the wood can be processed.
  • Houses should be similar in style to /warp misttown, but can also incorporate some elements from Herston given its proximity. (See /warp herstonhamlet1)
Logging Hamlet 2
/warp mistham3
  • A small hamlet south-east of Mistwood on the southern edge of the Rainwood, where the the forest is less dense.
  • There should be approximately 6-8 houses and an area of forest where trees are cut down including some stumps of already chopped trees.
  • There should also be a lumber yard where the wood can be processed.
  • Houses should be similar in style to /warp misttown.
Fur Trading Hamlet 1
/warp mistham1
  • A small hamlet fairly deep in the forest east of Mistwood where hunters gather/live and trade and process furs acquired in the surrounding woods.
  • There should be approximately 6-8 houses and a small trading hall where furs can be prepared, stored, and traded.
  • Buildings should have their own unique style, but still be loosely similar to those at /warp misttown.
  • There should be a nearby holdfast to protect the outpost. The holdfast should be a small watchtower type structure in a similar style to Mistwood Castle.
Fur Trading Hamlet 2
/warp mistham4
  • A small hamlet fairly deep in the forest north of Mistwood where hunters gather/live and trade and process furs acquired in the surrounding woods.
  • There should be approximately 6-8 houses and a small trading hall where furs can be prepared, stored, and traded.
  • Buildings should have their own unique style, but still be loosely similar to those at /warp misttown.
  • There should be a nearby holdfast to protect the outpost. The holdfast should be a small watchtower type structure in a similar style to Mistwood Castle.
Knight's Lodge
/warp mistvassal
  • A mid sized compound for a landed knight of moderate birth.
  • This compound should include, bed chambers (for the knight, his wife, a squire, and 1 or 2 servants), a small hall, stables, and gardens and/or livestock pens.
  • Tower/Lodge should be similar in style to Mistwood Castle