Completed HOUSE BALL REDO

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey @Hgkoolaid , thanks for voicing your concerns. While I understand what you mean, I see the proposed new castle design as falling under part (2) of the definition: by "modifying" we simply mean changes to aspects of the project which don't involve removing & rebuilding the entire project. It doesn't mean that no small individual part of the project can be replaced. I understand it's somewhat vague, but this is something pretty impossible to avoid completely when distinguishing between redos and updates- it's why the new rule requires explicit consideration by the mods beforehand. In this particular case, a new castle is deemed a small enough change that when coupled with the new lands and town facelift, it still constitutes an update which overall brings more progress to the server than it costs.

In any case, it has my approval too!

jmcmarq

Envoy
Thanks, now Pizza approval, and ill do the project in the following phases:

1: Northbound areas, nearby Withers (hamlets and terraforming).
2: Inland territories, pending terraforming according to new plan.
3: Mander shore nearby woodwright (the one half terraformed), Redo and opening of hamlets
4: Town and keep
5: New Added territory in the west area.

Thanks.

Reactions: an_escaped_duck

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard
Hello, this is my BallHamlet2 application. If there any problems just tell me and I will try to fix them.

BallHamlet2

By: Knights_of_Ikke

Resume

Probation Builds

Information from the Ball Application

Southball, this village is placed south of the Ball territories, on the shores of the Mander. Its main industry is fishing on the river, both with active fisheries and one that is abandoned. This town has an old watchtower guarding the Mander.

Map and Plan

By the way, should a hamlet of this size have a sept?
Tests

Anyway, I hoped you liked it.

Last edited:

jmcmarq

Envoy
At first, I approve you app, despite i cannot see the plan
The house is really cool, nothing to modify.

related to the tower, is really ok in height and shape, however, id modify these points.

-i'd get rid of the arch, is a bit odd.
-the outer facade of the stable is a bit clunky, do it more simple, and complete the thatch roofing. Or lift the walls 1-2 blocks to .
-the inner wall of the arches is a bit odd too, lift up the roof 1 block to complete the roof, or replace it for a bare wooden structure. Roof surrounding stone walls look better in larger buildings, but not in small ones.

Reactions: an_escaped_duck

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Ikke, looks good! Here's some feedback I have on the plotting/style:

- Don't plot bubble yards, like the one here. They should have linear walls (these can be diagonal though), and should probably be a bit larger as well. I highly recommend plotting the yards & fields last, and doing all of the houses and roads first. That way, you can see the "bigger picture" and use the yards and fields to achieve a continuum between nature and the hamlet.

- Some of the wall block indents are a bit too much, like on the left here. I'd tone it down a bit and just use full blocks there.

- There probably wouldn't be an abandoned fishery in such a small hamlet, it would be taken and used for some other purpose.

Other than that, you have my approval!

Reactions: lemonbear

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard
Hey, so I mostly finished Ballhamlet2, the one thing is the docks. For such a small hamlet it was recommended that the fishing boats just be on the sandbanks. But either way, I think it would be better to wait till the banks are actually done to make a dock more one with the river if that makes any sense. But other than that, ballhamlet2 is finished.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Hey Jmc I have a few suggestions about a few things I've noticed at ball that may need to be touched upon to really fulfill the project's full potential
JJP3lgj.png

A few of the roads in Ball are really really steep and utilize only 1-2 slab layers to convey a slope this could be better improved by making the angle of the slope gentler by adding an extra layer of slab blocks to make the transition gentler from level to level like so:

93C3lhB.png

uJ2aK43.png
745oHXR.png

In a great deal of areas at Ball there are stretches of road or open areas that empty or bereft of any activity, this could be amended by adding patches of mud to imply heavy amounts of traffic, market stalls against a wall to create points of interest or any number of other things to break apart the empty space like so:

A5u67WG.png

KcMKFyb.png

The town as it currently stands is rather flat at the moment, this could be amended with the addition of a few trees in selected spots that already contain vegetation to create a vertical element to break apart the repeated thatch, red slate, and thatch color scheme with spots of green as such:

cbv6PJx.png

1b6AJqQ.png

KW1L6w7.png

yNigaYC.png

There are a few of these kinds of fields of wheat where either fully grown barley is mixed in with newly-grown barley or where the field is entirely an unbroken expanse of the same stage of crop.

Like wall palletes it generally looks better to mix and match different blocks to create a more aesthetically pleasing look of crop fields. This can be anything from mixing in "weeds" with veggie patches, to adding in corn poppies, to playing around with wheat stages but ensuring that they're cohesive together like it is in Uffering:

PugKVzZ.png

yyf1BxR.png

Incomplete block work

QefDfgB.png

These towers could be refined a bit to make them look better, theyre a bit odd looking.

g1rDoO3.png

This wall while improved from before still needs work to smooth it out as it currently looks like a series of crenelations on the ground

These are just a few suggestions and I hope you take them into consideration as we have a great deal of exciting projects in the Western and Southern Reach and Ball has great potential to shine

-Marg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jmc,

Sorry about the long wait, I finally got a good chunk of time to go through this project! Here's some of the post-approval feedback I have:

- The slabbing in many areas needs to be improved, like in this picture. You want to make the slabbing look natural, and avoid only having the slabs touch at the corners. Here is how I would do the section in that picture instead. Try to work on this for the other areas.

- The dirt/gravel roads in the project still feel very empty. Add a bit more grass and foliage around the project. There should especially be grass growing around bushes like this one, not just dirt. Empty areas like this could have a little cabbage garden or something, like the one you can see in this picture that Marge posted. Try to be thorough and look over the entire project for areas of dirt/gravel which are too empty.

- The castle yard should have some mud paths where people travel more, to make the dirt/gravel less empty, like you did for the village.

- I don't understand this fireplace in the castle. Why are there two small furnaces on either side of the fireplace? I've noticed a few other fireplaces like this in houses around the project, too. I think those should be changed as well.

- Unfinished yard here. I like those granaries btw!

- This barn here doesn't have any rafters supporting the thatch.

- I'm not sure what's going on with this building here, but it seems to be a little messed up.

Overall, you've done a good job with this project! It's definitely an improvement on the original and the surrounding lands feel a lot more immersive now. Fix these issues, and I'll post-approve! I want you to be thorough though, for general feedback like the dirt/gravel looking too bland, try to improve it everywhere.

Please let me know if any of the feedback wasn't clear. I can help you with it in-game.

jmcmarq

Envoy
Emote, I´ve fixed what you said, in the case of mistakes, or anything unoticed, pls fell free to melon it.

I will be waiting for your response and thnks.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi jmc,

You've fixed most of the specific feedback I had, but I'm still noticing a lot of bad/uneven slabbing around the project. For example, here. Once you fix these systematically (rather than just in the images I link) I'll post-approve.