Gulltown Redo Discussion Megathread

Gealrüable

Royal Messenger
Riquewihr in France is kinda a similar vibe to gulltown imo
The colors are a bit too bright imo, but I feel the half hip roofs (which commonly appear in Riquewihr) should definitely be a defining element in the area.1623055799208.png
Swiss Fachwerk is commonly quite densely timbered, which we usually do not do on the server, adding to a unique style.
Seeing the tests however, I feel we'd need more patterns to make this work, with only stripes (which rarely appear in swiss patterns), crosses and left/right bends it looks more cluttered than decorative.

The red on white coloring is very swiss, but often used on the server. With dense timber work this would not be an issue imo, though as it very well might not work, I feel we'd need other colors. Maybe green, yellow and light blue (in contrast to KL commonly using red and white)? Red timber on green would certainly look interesting.

1623057140893.png
Green on white looks great too!

ContraBlonde

Bookbinder
The colors are a bit too bright imo, but I feel the half hip roofs (which commonly appear in Riquewihr) should definitely be a defining element in the area.View attachment 9404
Swiss Fachwerk is commonly quite densely timbered, which we usually do not do on the server, adding to a unique style.
Seeing the tests however, I feel we'd need more patterns to make this work, with only stripes (which rarely appear in swiss patterns), crosses and left/right bends it looks more cluttered than decorative.

The red on white coloring is very swiss, but often used on the server. With dense timber work this would not be an issue imo, though as it very well might not work, I feel we'd need other colors. Maybe green, yellow and light blue (in contrast to KL commonly using red and white)? Red timber on green would certainly look interesting.

View attachment 9405
Green on white looks great too!
Time for green timber white daub block >:>

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Just copying over this awesome map that DutchGuard brought to my attention, which definitely has some similarities with the Gulltown layout that we might be able to draw on.

b96k8wrqwki91.jpg

Renly_Baratheon_

Envoy
Pronouns
he/him
Maybe I've said this before in a previous post. But I think the sort of elongated shape of the harbour and the cliffs all around make me really think of Zähringen cities like Bern, Fribourg or Burgdorf. I know you are not really planning for a super Swiss Gulltown but i think layoutwise it would be interesting since the Zähringen cities, Bern especcially, aren't really arranged with squares but have very wide streets, which are used for markets etc. In Bern this lead to the construction of "Lauben" which are these covered walkways so the landowners could use the space above the walkways but leave the walkways public. Here's a map of Bern https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:MerianBern.jpg

Fribourg would also be a cool inspiration because it is built on a literally cliff jutting out into a riverbend. (see image below)

Other interesting inspirations could be Burgdorf and Murten.

All of these are quite grey and I would assume that they can serve more as layout inspirations since I think the consensus is that Gulltown should be colourful.
Fribourg.jpg

Maybe I've said this before in a previous post. But I think the sort of elongated shape of the harbour and the cliffs all around make me really think of Zähringen cities like Bern, Fribourg or Burgdorf. I know you are not really planning for a super Swiss Gulltown but i think layoutwise it would be interesting since the Zähringen cities, Bern especcially, aren't really arranged with squares but have very wide streets, which are used for markets etc. In Bern this lead to the construction of "Lauben" which are these covered walkways so the landowners could use the space above the walkways but leave the walkways public. Here's a map of Bern https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:MerianBern.jpg

Fribourg would also be a cool inspiration because it is built on a literally cliff jutting out into a riverbend. (see image below)

Other interesting inspirations could be Burgdorf and Murten.

All of these are quite grey and I would assume that they can serve more as layout inspirations since I think the consensus is that Gulltown should be colourful.
View attachment 13359
And I also feel like this is a layout a lot more unique, the map you showed emot is really nice and I think it's still a nice Inspo, but I feel like for Gulltown there's a good opportunity to do something different! It also remind me of Luxembourg, although the geography in the actual Gulltown area is completely different specially since its by the coast, but Luxembourg has some really nice walls, and the cliff is pretty awesome too

1660990325300.png
1660990367152.png
1660990421080.png