Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
gerblederp

What is your age?
25+

In what country are you living?
Canada

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I like the worldbuilding and the little details lot. There are so many different houses all with their own heraldry/names/etc. Give me endless feast scenes.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I really enjoy Duskendale and The Dun Fort, all the small details are fantastic.

Why do you want to join our server?
The world of ASOIAF has always been one of my favorites and this server has brought it to life very faithfully. I would like to be able to help in this project at least a little bit and also learn some new building skills on the way.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/RS639hV

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Gerblederp! Nice work with the app house and sorry for the wait! Just so you know, if you don't recieve a response after a week on any of your posts you are encouraged to bump it. It's very easy that posts get lost between all the new entrances, so we are glad whenever someone reminds us that they are waiting for our feedback!

Regarding your house, I see no major issues with it. With this build we hope you catched some of the techniques and ways we have of building here. Now your task will be to build other houses in the style of different locations in our server, but this time instead of copying you will have to come up with a design of your own based on the characteristics of the area we tell you.

Your next challenge will be to build a house in the style of /warp Kerseyford, with a yard. Once you are done you can upload some screenshots here and I will evaluate them as soon as I can. Have fun!​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Overal good job! Now I will give you some feedback about it:​
  • When doing stone yard walls try to make them more smooth instead of having many jagged edges. What I mean by that is that you should alternate slabs and no slabs on longer strips, so it looks slightly uneven, but not too chaotic.​
  • Don't put duckweed/moss on the dirt floor of the yard. Those areas have high traffic and any delicate plant would end up stomped.​
  • I can't really tell on your pictures but it seems like you have some small patches of thatch on the floor inside. Don't do that. Instead try making bigger "rugs" with regular shapes rather than shapeless blobs or random small patches.​
I think I don't have much else to say, after all it is a pretty simple build. For your next challenge go to /warp GhostHill and build a townhouse with a profession. Adding a yard is optional since many houses there share a courtyard. Good luck and have fun!​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Great build Gerblederp! I have little to no feedback to give, I think you basically nailed the style. I would only recommend you to remove the grey pebbles on the street outside, or at least blend them with some other pebbles between them and the Dorne pebbles, so there is not such a harsh contrast between them. Also regaring your gradient: I think you can reduce a bit the amount of the midtone plaster.

For your next challenge go to /warp Duskendale and build a house with a yard and a profession. Good luck and have fun!​

Reactions: Gerblederp

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Sorry for the long wait, it has been a busy week and for some reason I thought you answered last weekend. If I don't answer within a week you can bump the post to let me know, though it's obvious you already know about this rule hahahaha. Anyways, nice build! As always, now I will give you some feedback.​
  • The timber framing needs a bit of work, specifically the gable area. You have a long vertical stretch of wood with no horizontal reinforcements That would be structurally unstable. Look at the houses in Duskendale again, you will notice it.​
Inkedt2iUGec.jpgcollage (1).jpg
  • Most houses in Duskendale have fence posts at both ends of the roof ridge. It is not a needed addition, but it is very common so I would consider it.​
2022-12-02_21.36.55.png
  • On the side of the house you can remove some of the X timber blocks, it's a bit overkill right now. Even if that side of the house won't be seen due to having another building next to it you will see it from the interior. Change it for regular timber framing blocks, stacked they will look like the X block withouth the central motive.​
InkedZ0ohQBF.jpg
  • You don't need to add the fence blocks beneath the thatch awning in the image above (the ones between the two posts). Without them it is perfectly fine. You could change them for fence gates, but it is not needed for this size.​
2022-12-02_21.44.14.png
  • I would remove the clothes hanging outside under the awning. Since the clothesline block does not connect with the fence post it looks a bit strange.​
  • It is not needed, but I suggest you making the bottom floor a block taller. Makes the space feel less cramped and will help with adding decorations.​
  • Inside you probably want to add a mirror. It is a luxury item, but it would be handy to have since clothes would be tailored to the client. Mirrors weren't as common or big in the Middle Ages, but it has become a common practice to add them at tailors in our server. Again, not needed, but you could consider it.​
  • The clothesline at the top floor is very long. The rope would bend at the middle significantly with the clothes' weight. Instead arrange it on the short side of the build. If you feel like that isn't enough drying space you can always add another one.​
2022-12-02_22.02.03.png

Hopefully this doesn't seem like a lot. Most of the points I made are small details that you will slowly polish the more you build. For your next challenge go to /warp OATown and build a house with a profession and a yard. Have fun!​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Nice build! You're right about the timber framing, it is looking good. I can tell you tried to improve that aspect as well as others that I've previously pointed out. Also you've done a nice representation of the profession that takes place inside. Having said that, here is my feedback about it:
  • It is not a mistake, but in general houses in Old Anchor are slightly wider. It follows a different façade style and plotting than King's Landing or Duskendale, influenced by southern Germany and other areas of Central Europe.​
  • You used a stone brick on the chimney that is a bit too dark for properly blending with the rest of the blocks of the palette.​

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
All that said, I think it's time for you to get to the next stage. Anything new to learn would be much easier to do ingame, with a more active imput. Consider yourself approved :D!

Next time you get online ask an available moderator (those with red names) to promote you, and before that make sure to read the New Builders' Guide. There you will find useful information regarding your new role as a "probie", as we like to call it, as well as everything you need to know and do during this time, like opening a Probation Thread. Once all that is done your Probation will begin.

Just like I did here with your app, a probation leader will step up and take you as their "probie", as we like to call it. They will judge your builds and guide you, giving you feedback, tips and tricks. Think of it as an extension of your Builder Application, but much more engaged, and hopefully even more fruitful! On top of learning more of our ways of building you will also get a good grip on how we manage builds and the community as a whole, as well as engaiging with other members of it, something I encourage you to do. Out of those little interactions you will learn a lot, trust me! Feedback can come from anyone in the server, so be willing to listen to what they have to say, with time you may end up on their spot hehehe.

To start building you can look at the dynamap in our website and toggle the "Open Plot" option, go to /warp build or ask any online members around for open building spots. Also don't forget to ask any moderator online for a plot of your own at the Test World (aka Testeros), where you will be able to practise your builds.

Congrats and welcome to the team!​