eag_inc

Poet
What is your Minecraft username?
eag_inc
What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
New Zealand

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The attention to a particular kind of realism within the series is something I think is done quite well. It's not within the realm of folklore or fairy-tale and doesn't pretend to be. It's established as a morally-ambiguous story with all the elements of the age, and doesn't dance around the more gritty material. If you consider it through the lens of fictional escapism, I think it's interesting to imagine yourself escaping to a world that is equally egregious and grim as the real one; and exploring how the characters within it deal with their trials is a neat experience.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I'd say Highgarden and its surrounding areas. I find the dedication to a simplistic but thoughtful aesthetic for the region quite admirable. Nothing feels overdone or overcomplicated, it's simple but effective and I think it's a technique of building that naturally lends itself quite well for the game.

Why do you want to join our server?
Thanks to Covid I've found myself with an unhealthy amount of free time. As such I've decided to embrace some more variety outside of the Conquest stuff that I usually do. I was wanting to try some other styles/modpacks and that has led me here, a server which I had already been quite familiar with - being an AC member. Naturally I figured that I may as well join you guys and hopefully attempt to help out where I can!

Tell us about your build.
I tried a middle-class style that could be found in the Reach, and used references and inspiration from places near Highgarden. The people that live there would have just been the common farmer household.

Imgur Album:
Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Eaglz, thanks for your application, we're always happy to welcome Conquest/AC builders here, I'm sure you'll have some tricks to show us and some great ideas to contribute to the team.

You've done a really nice job with this house, I can see you've used a Reach style house for inspiration and you've shown great consistency with it.

There's not a lot of improvements I could suggest, since overall it's looking excellent and could practically be placed in Highgarden town right now. Would just be great if you could include some yard details as well (vege patch/washing line etc) in the next build too.

As a challenge, why not try your hand at a Street of Steel Low Class professional in our updated King's Landing Style. We're currently in the process of giving King's Landing a makeover in our Test World, the new Street of Steel is the area marked out in green below, and you can warp to it with /warp kl35
1606792133928.png

You'll find example stone block palettes and example houses at /warp KLUpdate and scattered around the Street of Steel area.
Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, size of yards)

Also, if you haven't already, take a look a the Basic Building Guide for some more tips, examples and Do's and Don'ts that will help on future builds.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above or the new KL style.

Good luck!

eag_inc

Poet
Apologies for the inactivity, IRL getting in the way again :rolleyes:

Would like to resume the application though. Built a low class blacksmith/metalsmith working in things like chains/horse shoes etc in the yard, as requested. Hope that's what you're looking for!

Also built a more unorthodox KL house facade to the right. Probably wouldn't fit 1:1 in the street of steel from what I've seen, but thought I'd try something more creative for fun anyway. The timber framing/jettying is more or less based on 15th century English townhouses, from what I remember those vertical timbers were used quite often in eastern England specifically. For the windows I tried using the iron bars, which I didn't really see much of in the new KL, but I thought they worked pretty well as medieval mullion windows (just wooden bars used for windows, were quite common for regular houses).

Looking forward to the next tasks!

Cheers

edit: made some small changes in the album

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Eaglz.

Welcome back, great to see completed the challenge and you're still interested in contributing the server.

Brilliant work with these Kingslanding builds. It's clear your training at AC has served you well! Both the blacksmith and gatehouse look great, there's really not a lot I'd suggest to improve, perhaps just explore some variation to the daub patterns with the house on the right. The overall shape is good but there's probably scope to mix in some of the horizontal daub blocks for some extra variety.

For your next (tentatively last) challenge, please build a middle class professional house in the style of /warp hgtown. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor and residence upstairs, take a look at the finished houses in the area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in Highgarden (e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith) and a yard would be great as well.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Great work Eaglz! You're clearly up to task and we'd love to have you on the team (assuming you're not an ArdaCraft spy :p).

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

You can also toggle open plot markers on the dynmap mc.westeroscraft.com

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond.

I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.

Welcome aboard and I'll see you in Westeros!