Duckston

Mummer
What is your Minecraft username?
Lord_Duckston

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Kazakhstan

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
No doubt, it is the worldbuilding element: the rich lore of the Realm and everything beyond, the attention to detail. Not often do you find a made up world that actually makes sense.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Hard to say really. I just warp to random locations, admire it for not too long and then just turn around and start exploring the countryside. I love the attention to details. If I had to choose that would either be White Harbour itself or Highgarden surroundings.

Why do you want to join our server?
I would like to improve my knowledge in medieval architecture, put my building skills to test and ultimatley help with this amazing effort. What else could a minecraft builder want?

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/VUGA8OO

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hi Duckston
Thanks for completing this application.

Nice work with replicating the application house (and nice shaders too!), as I hope you can tell we try to put as much detail and signs of life as we can into our houses. Hopefully through this application process you'll see how this approach is carried across our different projects and styles.

You're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make next. For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp tarbeck and share screenshots of it in this thread (an easy way to do it is upload them imgur.com and share the link). Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Tarbeck town. It would be great if you could add a yard to it too.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the Tarbeck style.

Good luck!

Duckston

Mummer
Hello CashBanks. Thank you for the feedback. I would have used the pre-installed SEUS shaders but they don't want to work on my PC for some reason, but BSL shaders look very good as well and are always a safe bet. Here is my attempt at a Tarbeck style farmer's house. The interiors got a little too cramped perhaps, and let me know if there is too much foliage. Otherwise I'm very happy with how the build turned out and it was a lot of fun to build!

Reactions: Batelgause

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Duckston,
Well done with this house, I don't think you were too cautious, it's important to focus on the fundamentals at this stage which I think you did nicely.

I don't have much feedback as I think you've captured all the important elements. All the interior details look good and appropriate to a low class house and it's a good use of space. The choice of blocks looks consistent with the Tarbeck style as well. My only small suggestions I would make are:

When adding vines its good to show them growing from the ground up to show where they're coming from, so you could jut add a few more here.

1631233504488.png

I like the overall shape and details of the yard, I'd just suggest swapping in some stair blocks/slabs the stone wall to add some height variation and make it look a little rougher and less uniform.
1631233688033.png

Great job overall though.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class professional house in the White Harbor style of /warp gullsgate (the general style in the sprawl outside the main city walls). Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor and residence upstairs, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Would be great if you noted in the post which profession you went with as well.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Duckston,

Great work with this house, you've really nailed all the small details.

I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

You can also toggle open plot markers on the dynmap mc.westeroscraft.com

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond.

I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.

Welcome aboard and I'll see you in Westeros!

Reactions: AwbMan

Duckston

Mummer
Well, that was faster than expected. Thanks for all the information and advice, I will get to my first server builds soon.