Dornish Marches Terra

Azulejo

¡Hola otra vez!
I've been collecting more inspirational images for the Dornish Marches terrain. Some disclaimers:
  • They fall on the drier side, so they may not be great for the Stormlands, for example.
  • Most of them are granite based areas, which conflicts with what we know about the Red Mountains (sandstone and well, red).
  • Seasons can severely alter the appearance of these regions. Most seem to have been taken during winter or spring.
  • Many of these landscapes are heavily human altered, retaining little of their original aspect.
  • Some of them aren't exactly medieval, mainly due to land consolidation in the XIX and XX centuries.
Despite this, I think they will be very useful to build an increasingly defined regional style, and if not, it is always good to look at them. Maybe in a future project they will be useful for someone!
Some favourites below!
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 20.48.06.jpeg
Vitigudino (Salamanca)

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 20.50.47.jpeg
Vitigudino (Salamanca)

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 20.51.14.jpeg
Vitigudino (Salamanca)

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 21.09.59.jpeg
Trujillo (Cáceres)

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 21.07.22.jpeg
Cáceres

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 23.52.33.jpeg
Sierra de Guadarrama (Madrid-Segovia)

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 20.54.56.jpeg
Castillo de Zafra (Guadalajara)

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 20.55.12.jpeg
Castillo de Zafra (Guadalajara)

The last three images and the first image are what I'd be wanting to see for pretty much the entire region but with longer grasses or bushes in the other places, similar to the unkept roadsides ( Trujillo, Vitigudino ). This would then morph into pyreneean mountains.

Also, red granite is possible. There is plenty near where I live, and when it rains the greyer rocks return to being a redder colour again

Reactions: Azulejo
So thinking this for Zone 8 for around Summerhall (Style 1 from my last post)

1602994613786.png

And this for the Zone 4 transition area to the North. Pretty standard grass lands with a few scattered bits of dead scrub.

1602994574044.png

Since we're ok with making the grassland around Summerhall a bit more wet than the area to the south west around Harvest Hall (Zone 7), I'm thinking a kingswood forest could probably be justified on the north side of Summerhall, mostly just small oaks and coniferous trees.